What to do to get motivated to exercise

Options
I feel lethargic in this time of the year. I am looking for some advice in order to get my motivation back to exercise. Any advice?

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Don't wait around for motivation. Just do it!

Motivation is not some blinding flash of light that fixes everything.

You will always have negative thoughts.

The idea is to bypass the negative thoughts by just getting the job done.

Do it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    If you DON'T want to do it, you won't. So is it a priority to you? If it is, you'll ALWAYS find a way to get it done.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ReniPeckham
    ReniPeckham Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I always think in terms of actions and consequences. If I don't do it, how will I feel later? If I do it, how will I feel? Because I know I will feel better and more energized then I usually get it done. Mentally fast forward and know what outcome you want.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    I know I lose a bit of impetuous this time of year so I plan my winter routine in the fall.
    Looking at a pic of me unfit can motivate me if I am dragging on a particular day, but really it is determination that gets you there.
    I am continuing learning to swim, and lifting heavy things this winter. I had planned to do a Zumba class too, but 1 hr a day is enough for me.

Is there an upcoming challenge for February on the boards that you would like to do?

Find something, anything and do it.

Cheers, h.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Someone on these boards once wrote something that really stuck with me. After reading the post, I sat back and processed how much better I remembered feeling after getting the exercise done for those times I kinda sorta didn't want to.

So yes, the line was something like "I've never completed a workout and thought it wasn't worth it."
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Do anything once.
  • GraemeMcC
    GraemeMcC Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you DON'T want to do it, you won't. So is it a priority to you? If it is, you'll ALWAYS find a way to get it done.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Whilst it is true, I don't think it helps much.

When my motivation dips (Sometimes I find the goal of fitter/faster/slimmer/stronger is not enough to get me out the door), I sometimes find it helps by rewarding the act of exercise rather than looking at the end goal. For example, if I manage to complete a 80% of a weeks training schedule I will go to the cinema/rent a film etc... Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

• GraemeMcC
    GraemeMcC Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I and get ready for the exercise before I make the descion not to do it. For example, I will get dressed for the run or have my swimming stuff packed and be in the car before I let myself decide not to do it. Again sometimes it works other times it doesn't.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Have goals big enough. I don't miss training because missing doesn't move me closer to my goals.

And having a nerve injury that only feels good when I'm moving the muscles hard on a very regular basis. Not being in pain is a very good motivator.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    for me, it's about feeling better too like @Iron_Miss_Canada
    if i don't keep moving, things get even more uncomfortable.

but really, it's not about motivation. it's a commitment to a happier and healthier you
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    The same "motivation" that gets me up to work every day, causes me to brush my teeth, feed and walk the dog. It is something I need to do, so I do it. the fact that I ALWAYS feel better after my workout routine is just an added benefit.

Do or don't do. It is up to you.

OP, do you need "motivation" to get through EVERYTHING in your life?
  • tiffanycompton33
    tiffanycompton33 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Try to associate workouts with a tiny reward. Winter is brutal so if I can make myself have a workout I deserve a hot shower or bath with some fancy salts. If I make myself do this 4 times in a week maybe I deserve a groupon discounted massage.
  • fotogyrl25
    fotogyrl25 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Get out there and do it. Someone wise once said, "There is no try, only do." OK, it was Yoda, but still. Good advice. I hate hate hate January. It's cold and all I want to do is stay inside where it is warm. I just recently made myself get outside and walk in the freezing cold and found out that I actually kinda like it. It is invigorating and I feel pretty good when I'm done. Get out there and try. You may find out you like it too.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes and goes - you need to rely on habit.
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    Motivation comes and goes - you need to rely on habit.

That's it.

If you have a chore list, put "workout" on your chore list.
    I finish my mental chore list - sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, dusting, laundry, dishes (don't do all that in one day, but throughout the entire week.) Then when I finish my house cleaning, the next thing on my chore list is my workout.
    And honestly, I'm not the kind of person who can jump out of bed and start working out. I can do chores better first thing in the morn better than I can my workout. By the end of my chores I'm way better motivated.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    If I only worked out when I felt motivated to do it, I wouldn't have done it since mid-December. If it helps, try to think about how glad you'll be after you've done it.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Get a health check-up.
    If your doc cant find any improvements to make, then you are perfect!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Just got do it.
    Motivation is a lie. Kind of like low fat is a lie.

Just go do the thing.
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    find something you enjoy doing.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    "Motivation" comes from within IMO.
    For me, its just remembering Newtons first law of motion...... An object at rest stays at rest. An object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.
    Get out of your own way. Just GO. Just MOVE.

List out small goals...easily obtainable ones so you will feel successful early on.