Diet Pills and 100 cal snacks

Options

Replies

• prtykekedd
    prtykekedd Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Harsh truth: Diet pills are used by lazy people who don't want to exercise. Especially when they think they can just take a "magic pill".

There is no magic pill.

If you take diet pills you will endanger your health and gain *all* the weight back as soon as you stop taking them. Remember that exercise is not just about looking good, it's about overall health.

Bottom line: Eat right and do an hour of cardio at least 3 times a week. Adding in weights would be even better.

U are absolutely right! My friend that takes them is lazy and never works out. The one boot camp we did together she attended 1 1/2 classes and never came back. She has lost 2 lbs but it doesn't look like a healthy weight loss. She talks about me because I workout everyday and it is taking a minute to lose the weight.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Funny, I was just reading something I got from Kaiser about eating healthy. It said:

"Avoid a lot of processed foods or pre-packaged snacks. Add more whole grains and fresh produce to your meals, and stick to small amounts of healthy fats like those found in nuts, fish, and olive oil."

So, even though a calorie is a calorie, maybe it would be better to avoid the snacks that are high in sodium and look for more healthy snacks that equal 100 calories. Reducing sodium = reducing water retention!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Diet pills: No. If you can't put in a true effort you won't keep weight off for the long haul anyway. The diet industry makes so much money because there are no shortcuts but everyone wants to believe that there is.

I take Oxy elite pro. hmmm not putting in effort, really. I eat very healthy , good protiens , healthy fats, an lots of veggies.
    I also work out 6-7 days a week, usually twice atleast 4 of those days. yep i am taking the easy way LOL

as far as long term results its all in the way you use them, if you just depend on them sure you will gain it back.
    put if you use it as just another tool in your weight loss , like any other piece of equipment (the elliptical machine for example), then you can keep it off as any other healthy eating plan.

and just as with any other healthy eating plan if you stop an go back to eating crappy foods, and being lazy wellll nough said
  • prtykekedd
    Options
    Thank you all for your input! I will continue on my journey without the diet pills, we have enough health issues in my family and I definitely don't need to add to them. I am going to finish the hundred cal snacks I have and let them go. I am allergic to fruit so eventhough I like lots of it I have to limit the amount I intake (guess I will be spending more on benedryl).
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I used diet pills for 1 bottle. It seemed to work but did not have the same results for me as watching calories. It came off quickly but when I stopped it went right back on. I didn't want something that would come right back after I stopped using the product. And, I just couldn't afford it! (Maybe if I could have I would have used it longer but I doubt it)

I use the 100 cal snack packs but ONLY when I'm at work. I never eat them at home. I take 1 pack a day to work with my. I don't have a lunch break and I try to prepare stuff first but don't have a ton of time.

Are you familiar with Annie's homegrown? It's organic stuff? She has bunny grahams (like teddy grahams) and crackers. Both of these come in snack packs that are about 120-140/serving, and its a little bigger than the 100 cal snacks...but they don't have nearly all the preservatives or ucky stuff.
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight quickly - but your lifestyle will NOT have changed; so the weight loss will always be temporary.

That's the problem with quick fixes; they don't fix anything.
  • krystico
    krystico Posts: 104
    Options
    I tried Adipex-P (doctor prescribed) a while back. It was like a diet-in-a-bottle! Great Stuff!!! While taking it, I had energy - but not the jittery kind. My appetite was supressed; I had to force myself to eat! I lost 15 pounds in 6 weeks. As soon as my prescription was empty, the weight came right back on - but I wasn't eating right or exercising. I often wonder if I "did it right" (continue to eat less and exercise AFTER the presciption ran out) if it would've been beneficial in the end. If you're looking for a diet pill to try - I'd suggest Adipex.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I don't like any pills for weight loss, As for the 100 cal snacks you can actually
    get better snacks for less calories and cheaper!

one of my favorites is 15 special k cracker chips 55 cal 2 boxes for 5.oo
    approx 5 servings per box .50 a serving

you can add 8 pcs of turkey peperoni for 40 more calories

8 pcs of any flavor mini rice cakes for 50 calories I love the chocolate
    ones. approx 2.00 per bag 10 servings @.10 a serv

Get a qt of fat free yogurt add one can of crushed pineapple in natural
    juice (drained) and a box of sugar free vanilla pudding mix makes 5 cups
    at 50 cal per cup, this is great for pudding or fruit dip, cost about 3.20 for
    ingredients that's .64 cent a serving .

Much more filling and less sodium and sugars
  • MissMed07
    MissMed07 Posts: 34
    Options
    A big problem with 100 calorie snacks isn't just sodium but high amounts of sugar, bad carbs, and harmful unhealthful ingredients. Instead of having 100 calorie packs of cookies and chips, try having almonds, berries, or even dried fruit. Staying away from processed food can really help eliminate cravings for sugary snacks altogether and avoid belly bloat. I gave up eating sweets (except on bi-monthly cheat days) and feel a lot better. The scale has dipped a lot to since I stopped eating these things. It's not always about calories, it's also about the quality of the food you're putting in your mouth.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I do the 100 calorie snacks and I'm losing weight :) I like the chocolate covered pretzels to help with my chocolate cravings

I use the 100 cal packs too, they help me with portions, if you give me cookies, I'll eat the whole damn box. I also look for granols bars, or protein bars that will fit in my daily budget.
  • ghoztt
    ghoztt Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've tried ephedra(sp) diet pills in the past and lost a lot of weight because I would not feel hungry. I could skip breakfast, have a granola bar for lunch and pretty much anything for dinner. I drank a lot of water as well. Well that weight came back with reinforcements making it harder to turn around again. This time around I'm taking what a few others have been, the Oxy Elite Pro from GNC. I wouldn't exactly call it a diet pill, it's more of a supplement for me as it has not reduced my appetite. What it has done is given me a LOT of sustained energy, enough so that I don't have to have any coffee (with loads of sugar and cream because I dislike the taste of black coffee) in the morning or energy drinks at lunch. After they've worn off I don't 'crash' either. I've cut down my soda intake considerably without having to suffer those caffeine headaches and it gives me the energy I need to do my workout in the evening after the kids are in bed. I don't think I'll have any issues weaning myself off them as I only take 1 in the morning and 1 at lunch but at least it's gotten me off the couch every evening to work out regularly.
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    You can lose weight quickly - but your lifestyle will NOT have changed; so the weight loss will always be temporary.

That's the problem with quick fixes; they don't fix anything.

your lifestyle will have change if you put the effort in changing it
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    no to the diet pills, unless you want to take them for the rest of your life. 100 calorie packs, I have no problem with. I lost 160lbs and i used them then and I use them now. I like them, they are tasty and when I want a chocolate chip cookie i want a chocolate chip cookie, not a banana. You can make your own and I have done that with chips, pretzels etc. but that won't work for me with sweets. If i brought a whole bag of Chips Ahoy cookies in here it would drive me crazy and I would not eat one 100 calorie serving a day. I do eat at least one 100 calorie pack every day,sometimes two. I posted on another thread about veggies and not eating them if you don't like them. What you need to realize is that though it is fine to ask for advice and educate yourself, this is your life, your body, your taste buds. If you try to lose weight by doing what others tell you but you dont really want to do that, you won't stay successful. You have to figure out a plan that works for you. I am sure mine isn't the healthiest but that was never my goal, weighing 300lbs wasn't healthy for me either. I had to figure out what I could do, day in and day out for the rest of my life to stay at a healthy weight in the healthiest way I was willing. So do you.
  • SommerJo
    SommerJo Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Diet pills only worked for me if I drank the recommend amount of water. As soon as I went below that -- no change in appetite or energy. Oddly enough -- I get the same effect on my energy level and appetite now with water and no pills.

Seriously -- drink a full glass of water right before your meal -- do you feel fuller quicker? Do you feel like you have lots of energy when you drink your water? I know I do -- lots of energy to get up and pee 400 times a day lol.

As for the snack packs -- they are super convenient and tasty. But expensive and not really "better" for you just pre-packaged in small 100 calorie portions. I definately support all those saying to make your own snack packs :) Plus if you do it yourself -- you get a HUGE selection of things you love -- instead of whatever the food companies deem as popular :)
  • prtykekedd
    Options
    Harsh truth: Diet pills are used by lazy people who don't want to exercise. Especially when they think they can just take a "magic pill".

There is no magic pill.

If you take diet pills you will endanger your health and gain *all* the weight back as soon as you stop taking them. Remember that exercise is not just about looking good, it's about overall health.

Bottom line: Eat right and do an hour of cardio at least 3 times a week. Adding in weights would be even better.

U are absolutely right! My friend that takes them is lazy and never works out. The one boot camp we did together she attended 1 1/2 classes and never came back. She has lost 20 lbs but it doesn't look like a healthy weight loss. She talks about me because I workout everyday and it is taking a minute to lose the weight.
  • FairyMiss
    Options

well then i guess working out i 6-7 days a week, twice a day on 4-5 of those days is lazy?????

Not all people who use them are lazy, not all people think, they are a magic pill, but a tool as anyother weight loss tool
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Save your money on the "pills" - there is a reason they all come with a recommended diet plan. The calorie restriction is what works. Pills can wreak havoc with your system and some can be downright dangerous.

As for 100 cal snack packs...just b/c it's only 100 cals doesn't mean it's good for you. While they work for portion control, most of them are just processed junk food. They are also expensive, so if you want to eat them as a daily "treat," just buy in bulk and portion them yourself.

Lots of things are 100 cals or less and SO much better for you: like a piece of fruit or cheese, a couple of slices of turkey or ham on whole grain crackers, half cup of yogurt, sliced veggies, etc.
    Definitely this.

Those 100 cal snack packs are not the best thing for you. In my opinion, it's a lot better to have 100 calories of a healthy snack than an unhealthy one. A healthy one will keep you fuller for a longer time period anyways.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options

well then i guess working out i 6-7 days a week, twice a day on 4-5 of those days is lazy?????

Not all people who use them are lazy, not all people think, they are a magic pill, but a tool as anyother weight loss tool

If you're working out 6-7 days a week twice a day with zero results then diet pills is not the answer. A trip to the doctor is.
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    I have had results, 40 pounds last fall , then went off them for a while(money), stayed about the same, but was monkeying around with difrnt approaches, then decided it was worth th money , started them again and lost 5 pounds in less than a weekl.
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Too many people here are generalizing diet pills. You need to get specific. I am on my 2nd use of OxyElite Pro thermogenic pills and they're just made up of a few different plants. There's nothing scary or chemical about them. They help burn a few extra calories a day, they drastically reduce any cravings for food which is obviously helpful, and they help you stay awake and concentrate. I don't see these as any different than people drinking green tea (which I also drink) or any other herbal supplements. And at 50 cents a day these pills end up saving me money since I don't buy any coffee or energy drinks anymore. They were also rated as the number 1 diet supplement last year and has high ratings on any fitness or store site. After I stopped using them I did NOT gain any weight. These just help you lose weight faster and easier, it is not a miracle diet pill like people generalize them as. No matter what you choose, good luck!!