ACV and weight loss...?

So I started drinking Apple Cider Vinegar daily for my gallbladder as I have some sludge and have had an attack (but it isn't bad enough to be removed yet), the ACV has helped a lot with the pain, I was reading on its other benefits and there are many articles claiming it can help with weight loss... I'm not thinking its viable though. They say that apparently it "has enzymes that help speed your metabolism" and in return burns fat. What do you think? I'm just curious.

Its helped my colon, gallbladder and even cleared up my skin in the week I've been drinking it so I'll continue to use it purely for those benefits but I was wondering what my MFP friends thought about the weight loss claims.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    There's no evidence that ACV will cause those who drink it to lose weight.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member

Nor any of the other things the OP is taking it for.
  • marshaeb93
    marshaeb93 Posts: 3 Member
    Everyone's bodies react to everything differently. I have a coworker who's been doing the ACV and hasn't had ANY good side effects - where it seems YOU have. :) If it's working for you stick with it girl! Same as how some people can eat high carb foods and still maintain a healthy weight and then others that eat high carb foods retain ALL of it (myself unfortunately lol). We're all different and not everything will for for everyone the same. :)
  • fatboyslimRP50
    fatboyslimRP50 Posts: 25 Member
    yeah saw all of he fads on breakfast TV last week, this was one - pretty sure hot water with lemon etc does same without the grimacing, but then like a lot of things it can be psychosomatic so what ever is genuinely working, go for it - except for drinking your own wee- we don't need to know that R
  • janejellyroll

Nor any of the other things the OP is taking it for.

One step at a time . . . one step at a time.
  • janejellyroll
    marshaeb93 wrote: »
    Everyone's bodies react to everything differently. I have a coworker who's been doing the ACV and hasn't had ANY good side effects - where it seems YOU have. :) If it's working for you stick with it girl! Same as how some people can eat high carb foods and still maintain a healthy weight and then others that eat high carb foods retain ALL of it (myself unfortunately lol). We're all different and not everything will for for everyone the same. :)

We are all the same species. While variances do exist in the population, I think you are over-stating the degree.

• myssjaxson
    myssjaxson Posts: 89 Member

Well, if its just me being mental then I'm totally okay with it since I've been able to stop taking my antacid and my stomach relaxer (pain) pills for the first time and not need them. It may not be the ACV, who knows, but whatever is happening I'm absolutely fine with it. :)
  • myssjaxson
    myssjaxson Posts: 89 Member
    I figured the weight loss thing was a fad, I don't see how ACV makes you burn more calories LOL. But its recommended for a lot of health benefits. Not a cure-all, just a benefit. Was curious if you guys had also heard of the claim for weight loss. I highly doubt anyone drinking it will lose 10lbs a month like the claims but they're open to try, lol.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    There is probably an additional rule to consuming ACV which would be in combination with a calorie controlled diet

In that case, if it works to make you stick to your defecit go for it - I'm unaware of any negative effects of consuming vinegar water apart from possibly smelling like a chippie and feeling vaguely ill :)
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    I drank ACV in the am for about 2 weeks. I can say it made me nauseous and not want to eat in the morning. I can't say I noticed anything else and if I did it very well might have been psychological and not actually due to the ACV.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    I actually enjoy ACV in water. I keep it in a squirt bottle in my kitchen and add a squirt to my glass of water. Gives me the same satisfaction as drinking juice (I also use fresh lemon juice for the same effect). Not sure about the health benefits - but DH firmly believes it can do all it claims so it makes him happy to see me drink it. I haven't been logging it in MFP though - maybe I should? But for 1-3 cal per tbsp, I'm not hugely worried about it.
  • jodidari
    jodidari Posts: 95 Member
    I actually know someone who says it helped them lose weight,about a pound a week without a change in diet according to her. I've read up on it a few months ago and the document said it supresses the diet and also assists in the breakdown on fat. It says start by drinking a cup of water with 1tbsp of acv then gradually increase to three cups of water a day (one with each meal) with 1/2tbsp. The study also pointed on ACV may detox the body therefore increasing metabolic rate. I'll see if i can find the link but it sounds like helps with weight loss
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    jodidari wrote: »
    I actually know someone who says it helped them lose weight,about a pound a week without a change in diet according to her. I've read up on it a few months ago and the document said it supresses the diet and also assists in the breakdown on fat. It says start by drinking a cup of water with 1tbsp of acv then gradually increase to three cups of water a day (one with each meal) with 1/2tbsp. The study also pointed on ACV may detox the body therefore increasing metabolic rate. I'll see if i can find the link but it sounds like helps with weight loss

I know a couple of women who swear by it, they're still overweight tho.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Quite honestly, the fear of having another gall bladder attack was enough for me to lay off the foods higher in fat/cholesterol, which helped me lose weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

I know someone whose dog can write in english

Well not write so much as type

He typed up an entire study once
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    edited January 2016
    Here's the thing about minor medical conditions that do not require surgical intervention: Patients tend to get better with time.

So no matter what you do, you will tend to get better with time. Eat a fun size Snickers bar every day, and you will get better with time. Drink a cup of hot lemon water every morning, and you will tend to get better with time. The common factor? The time - not the lemon or the candy bar or the vinegar.

And no, vinegar doesn't help you lose weight either.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member

What toxins does ACV remove that your liver and kidneys do not already remove? How?
  • akoivisto
    akoivisto Posts: 141 Member
    edited January 2016
    If ACV deglazes a hot pan...

Logic says...

ACV deglazes your internal bits too...

I use it for cooking, and enjoy the benefits it provides in that field; I'll admit to drinking it to give my kids the 'OMERGAWD DAD' effect.... but I do that with Dog Food/Treats too, maybe Dog Biscuits could be the next fad?

Other than that? It is rather low on my 'Pour a High Baller and drink with a fine cigar list'.

• sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Thing is, it seems that if losing weight were as simple as drinking apple cider vinegar, no one would be fat. So, I'm gonna say no, it doesn't help.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    It's great for your skin, it is an old wives tale that it helps speed up weight loss. I wouldn't take too much notice, there isn't any credible evidence to say it helps