Which came first? Walking or Running?

Options
I'm new to this so should I start walking and work my way up to Running or should I just start running ?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    If you're new to fitness/exercise, start with walking.
  • Amber_hanson27
    Amber_hanson27 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I started with walking and would run a few minutes at a time here and there. I gradually increased with the running. I started last March and can now nearly run a 10k!!! Never thought I'd even want to run but sure do enjoy it :-)
  • kaylaashay
    kaylaashay Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @Amber_hanson27 that's awesome ! Thank you so much and keep up the great work.
    @Ninkyou thank you !
  • annaheyoolay
    annaheyoolay Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I started walking regularly, and then started and completed C25k. I can't reccommend it enough!
  • kaylaashay
    kaylaashay Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @annaheyoolay thanks
  • Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ran first, and now walk. I started C25K and tweaked my knee. Took 6 weeks to really heal and working out sucked hard during that time :neutral:. Decided to start getting my heart rate up by incline walking. After I lose more weight, I'll try running again, but at 52 and obese, I think I'm just asking too much of my knees to run right now. YMMV.
  • Eddie__Jones
    Eddie__Jones Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    start by walking. use runkeeper to track and make goals.

https://runkeeper.com/

68892776.png
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I started walking regularly, and then started and completed C25k. I can't reccommend it enough!

this is what i did. now i can run a slow 13 miles.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you want but be aware that statistically 70% of runners are injured annually. Walking is much easier on your limbs.
  • fotogyrl25
    fotogyrl25 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I also started with walking and then did C25K. The app is amazing! I was a non-runner. My husband always said he would only run if someone was chasing him. We both did C25K and we now actually like running. I did have to do some weeks several times, but if you stick to it 3x a week, you will run. I am proof hat it works. And beemerphile1 is right, runners do get injured. If you want to run, be sure you get a good pair of shoes. ($100-$200) A good pair of shoes will help prevent some injuries.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you want but be aware that statistically 70% of runners are injured annually. Walking is much easier on your limbs.

Calling BS on these stats (there are lies, damn lies & statistics.....), the rate is much lower according to the NIH and between 50% and 75% of those injuries are from overuse (too much, too soon too fast) and running is not hard on your joints / limbs........

OP the correct answer depends on your current fitness level and your goals. If your current fitness level precludes running then walk, as your fitness improves start adding short, slow running intervals (one minute or so) and gradually add time to the running and less time walking. Most of your running should be at a conversational pace and don't try to build distance too quickly.....it's a marathon, not a sprint. Most importantly, have fun......you're doing this for you.

• Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    When I first read the subject line I thought "Well, it depends on how fast the animal [that was chasing you] was." LOL

I have been thinking that it is time to start running...up until now I have only been a walker (unless something was chasing me - ha)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ....statistically 70% of runners are injured annually.

Source?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    kaylaashay wrote: »
    I'm new to this so should I start walking and work my way up to Running or should I just start running ?

Entirely up to you and what your aspirations are.

If you an walk at a comfortable pace for thirty minutes then there is nothing stopping you from starting to run, although generally I stick to walking until I'm outside the house, then run...

There are plenty of plans out there to help get you running, or as described upthread, just go for it.
  • beemerphile1
    Options

Source?

The most oft quoted source is the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation although I haven't seen the study. Apparently you must be a member. Lots of articles refer to this statistic and from this source.

Nevertheless, it is accepted that 100% of running injuries are caused by
    running!

I am a runner myself but new people need to be aware that they will most likely have running related injuries. I only run a minimal amount in training but mostly walk for training/fitness. I primarily reserve running for the couple of races I participate in annually.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    For me: Walking. After surgery, I was told I needed to walk to get well. Started with 30 foot walks up and down the length of my deck. Expanded to around the block. Around two blocks. Around the "big Block" which measured one mile. To around town which measured three miles. Got to a 4 MPH clip. On vacation at Cape Cod, premeasured a 4 mile block past the beach. There, using my Garmin, started to walk a half mile, jog a half mile. Back home, continued the 4 mile circuit which included a path through the County Park and around a small pond. Got to the point where I average 11 minute miles for 6 miles.

In short, a short walk expended, over about a year, to a 10K. All without really trying that hard, just keep increasing distance as I felt I could.

Keep your pace and stride under control and there is a smaller chance if injury. DON'T over stride and keep your pace to a conversational one. Can ya talk while running? If not, slow down.
  • jayclock
    jayclock Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    For me: Walking. After surgery, I was told I needed to walk to get well. Started with 30 foot walks up and down the length of my deck. Expanded to around the block. Around two blocks. Around the "big Block" which measured one mile. To around town which measured three miles. Got to a 4 MPH clip. On vacation at Cape Cod, premeasured a 4 mile block past the beach. There, using my Garmin, started to walk a half mile, jog a half mile. Back home, continued the 4 mile circuit which included a path through the County Park and around a small pond. Got to the point where I average 11 minute miles for 6 miles.

In short, a short walk expended, over about a year, to a 10K. All without really trying that hard, just keep increasing distance as I felt I could.

Keep your pace and stride under control and there is a smaller chance if injury. DON'T over stride and keep your pace to a conversational one. Can ya talk while running? If not, slow down.
    what he said.....
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Calling BS on these stats (there are lies, damn lies & statistics.....), the rate is much lower according to the NIH and between 50% and 75% of those injuries are from overuse (too much, too soon too fast) and running is not hard on your joints / limbs........

OP the correct answer depends on your current fitness level and your goals. If your current fitness level precludes running then walk, as your fitness improves start adding short, slow running intervals (one minute or so) and gradually add time to the running and less time walking. Most of your running should be at a conversational pace and don't try to build distance too quickly.....it's a marathon, not a sprint. Most importantly, have fun......you're doing this for you.

All of this.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

Source?

The most oft quoted source is the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation although I haven't seen the study. Apparently you must be a member. Lots of articles refer to this statistic and from this source.

running!

I am a runner myself but new people need to be aware that they will most likely have running related injuries. I only run a minimal amount in training but mostly walk for training/fitness. I primarily reserve running for the couple of races I participate in annually.

That is not accurate. Here's a study I found with very little work (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26726004). They are looking at the cost of injury, but in a program for new runners (Start2Run) 26.1% reported pain from running that prevented them from running for at least 3 training sessions. I think pain/discomfort, the need to take it slow are common. We need to be careful about throwing around the word 'injury'. That doesn't mean 26% of those people were 'injured' and couldn't perform their jobs, it just means they experienced pain that prevented them from running. And these were brand new runners. One might expect once you get past the new stage the percentage would drop, although there could be other risk factors to injury (age, weight, etc.)

As a sometimes-runner, the only thing I will caution is, you should run because you want to run. I see too many people think it will be the magic bullet for weight loss. I can burn the same amount of calories walking for 60 minutes that I would if I jogged for 50 minutes. It can save you time, but if you are slow and new at it not a lot. Also some people find the increase in intensity will increase their appetite in a way walking won't. But if you are interested in becoming a runner, I think it's great to pursue. For me personally I walked first. I think that created a better aerobic fitness baseline and doing both has allowed me decent calorie burn so I don't need to 'rely' on just the running.
  • beemerphile1
    Options

Source?

running!

That is not accurate. Here's a study I found with very little work (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26726004). They are looking at the cost of injury, but in a program for new runners (Start2Run) 26.1% reported pain from running that prevented them from running for at least 3 training sessions. I think pain/discomfort, the need to take it slow are common. We need to be careful about throwing around the word 'injury'. That doesn't mean 26% of those people were 'injured' and couldn't perform their jobs, it just means they experienced pain that prevented them from running. And these were brand new runners. One might expect once you get past the new stage the percentage would drop, although there could be other risk factors to injury (age, weight, etc.)...

1,696 runners reported 272 injuries in a 6 week period which has little relevance to injuries over a year's time. Should we multiply that 6 week number to a 52 week number? That potentially could be 1,696 runners reporting 2,357 injuries in a year's time. 272 divided by 6 weeks times 52 weeks = 2,357 Of course some runners will be injured multiple times and some will not be injured at all but the overall percentage of injured runners for a year would likely be much higher than new runners followed for only six weeks.

The injury rate probably spikes at the very beginning but frequency would also increase the likelihood of injury. If you drive a given route every day for a year the likelihood of an accident is much greater when considering a year than one day. Six weeks is just not enough of a sample to be meaningful when comparing to a study that is speaking about annual rates.

The AAPMR study used a different definition of an injury than your extreme definition of missing work. Their criteria was also less stringent than the study you linked. The AAPMR study that reported the 70% rate considered a person injured if it caused them to take a planned workout day off from running due to pain.

Like I said, I am a runner, have been for over 40 years. I don't want to discourage anyone from a sport that I find enjoyable but we need to be honest about the high injury rate in runners. This is particularly important for an overweight person with minimal history of physical activity.