"Sedentary" vs. "Lightly Active" and tracking exercise

Options
So when I first got MyFitnessPal, I set my activity level as Lightly active because while I do sit most of the day as a student, I exercise every day with HIIT cardio and moderate bodyweight and dumbell strength training for 30-40 minutes. However, if I'm tracking these workouts and MyFitnessPal then increases the calories I'm allowed to eat (anywhere from 200-300 more calories), shouldn't I have it set as Sedentary instead? Or as an alternative, Lightly Active without tracking my exercise?

Replies

• srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I don't log exercise on lightly active days but drop down to sedentary on my days off work and manually add exercise from heart rate monitor stats
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Your activity setting on MFP does NOT include exercise, so sedentary would probably be better.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    What's your weight doing? If it's going down or up according to your settings then perfect. If not then adjust the settings as needed. Excersize calories can be over estimated. It's just a matter of watching the scale over time and making adjustments to your settings if needed.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you're logging your exercise, set your activity to Sedentary or you'll double count. My rule of thumb was to err on the side of underestimating calories burned and overestimating calories consumed to ensure I maintained a deficit to keep losing.
  • srecupid
    Options
    I'm curious any vivofit 2 users out there? I have a relatively active job and just ordered one. Would I be better letting it deduct steps or just leaving it at lightly active? I have a polar h7 for intentional cardiovascular recording. Would I get more accurate results with that than just lightly active?
  • kcm105
    kcm105 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've always taken that setting to mean how active are you outside of exercise. For example, if you wait tables for a living, then you'd set it above sedentary. But basically, if you don't work on your feet, you should set it to sedentary.
  • srecupid
    Options
    kcm105 wrote: »
    I've always taken that setting to mean how active are you outside of exercise. For example, if you wait tables for a living, then you'd set it above sedentary. But basically, if you don't work on your feet, you should set it to sedentary.

See that is where I get confused. I work on my feet but sometimes only work 4 hours and most of it spent chit chatting because I work until midnight at a grocery store. But other times I'm all over the place and want to just apply bengay to my entire body when I get home. I bought a vivofit to encourage me to put more overstock away instead of standing around and talking late at night. Or at least look at work like a challenge instead of some tedium I need to get through
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I prefer setting mine sedentary and adding exercise in as I do it. It helps to have an activity tracker, but even before that, that's what I'd do. That way, if I have an off day or a sick day, I don't have to manually adjust my calorie intake.
  • srecupid
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    I prefer setting mine sedentary and adding exercise in as I do it. It helps to have an activity tracker, but even before that, that's what I'd do. That way, if I have an off day or a sick day, I don't have to manually adjust my calorie intake.

I'm gonna try that. Just curious though would wearing a fitness band while also recording exercise through a heart rate monitor double count? The band itself doesn't have a heart rate monitor and exercise of choice is stationary bike. Unfortunately it's a Garmin band and the hrm is polar
  • dubird
    Options
    srecupid wrote: »

I'm gonna try that. Just curious though would wearing a fitness band while also recording exercise through a heart rate monitor double count? The band itself doesn't have a heart rate monitor and exercise of choice is stationary bike. Unfortunately it's a Garmin band and the hrm is polar

You wouldn't double-enter them, but you can use the HRM to check how accurate the Garmin is. Unless you have a way of entering your data into an exercise machine, I wouldn't enter that amount at all. That's because machines will calculate based on a set of average data, and unless your data is close, the amount of calories burned will be off. If you can get an activity tracker with built in HRM, that's going to be the best estimate of your calories burned. I don't know any machine that gets it 100% right, but at least a tracker with an HRM will be close.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You activity level with MFP is just supposed to be you day to day hum drum without deliberate exercise which is why you track deliberate exercise separately. You may or may not be light active without any deliberate exercise...I have a desk job, but I'm still light active without any exercise because I have a lot of other daily stuff going on that keeps me moving...cooking, cleaning, chasing after my 3 and 5 y.o., regular yard work, walking the dog, general recreational activity that doesn't rise to the level of exercise, etc.
  • kcm105
    kcm105 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

See that is where I get confused. I work on my feet but sometimes only work 4 hours and most of it spent chit chatting because I work until midnight at a grocery store. But other times I'm all over the place and want to just apply bengay to my entire body when I get home. I bought a vivofit to encourage me to put more overstock away instead of standing around and talking late at night. Or at least look at work like a challenge instead of some tedium I need to get through

If you want to play it safe, set it to sedentary. Especially if you're using a fitness tracker to add back calories for steps. But if you're not adding back those step calories, it's probably fair to call yourself lightly active.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm set at sedentary and do between 15,000-25,000 steps everyday. I did have it set to lightly active, but because I go into sloth mode after 5pm it always took calories away by the end of the day. If set to lightly active and above, it expects you to keep up that level until midnight.
  • pchca
    pchca Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Piggybacking on OP's question - I walk ~12k steps during 8-5p at my job. When I get home I walk on the treadmill for 30-45 min. I have mine set to lightly active and then I add in the night cardio. Is that wrong?
  • dubird
    Options
    pchca wrote: »
    Piggybacking on OP's question - I walk ~12k steps during 8-5p at my job. When I get home I walk on the treadmill for 30-45 min. I have mine set to lightly active and then I add in the night cardio. Is that wrong?

I wouldn't think so. If your ~12k steps is normal for you during the day, at least for the 5 day work week, then that's part of what you normally do. If you have a tracker that counts calories, you might set it to sedentary for a week to see where things are, but if you have it set up that way and are losing weight, I wouldn't worry about it if it were me.
  • srecupid
    Options

If you want to play it safe, set it to sedentary. Especially if you're using a fitness tracker to add back calories for steps. But if you're not adding back those step calories, it's probably fair to call yourself lightly active.

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. Not sure if I'm gonna link it up or just use it for the useful data and motivate myself to earn the lightly active setting. And as for what I meant about double adding I mean it won't count my exercise bike as steps if I leave it on right?
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options

I do this too. Have a desk job so 4 days a week, 10 - 12 hours a day sitting on my backside.
  • srecupid
    Options
    laineybz wrote: »

I do this too. Have a desk job so 4 days a week, 10 - 12 hours a day sitting on my backside.

Man that sucks. My but falls asleep if I sit more than half hour. And I'm a computer geek who could spend all day configuring a home server just for fun if you let me
  • bspringer544
    bspringer544 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add a question on to this:

If your activity level setting is supposed to not include exercise then where would the step count fall under; activity level or exercise? Should one eat back those calories or not? Should activity level be affected by how much one walks?
  • dubird
    Options

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. Not sure if I'm gonna link it up or just use it for the useful data and motivate myself to earn the lightly active setting. And as for what I meant about double adding I mean it won't count my exercise bike as steps if I leave it on right?

It might, that's one of the things trackers can have trouble with. I personally wouldn't worry about steps, just the estimate of calories burned with the HRM, but that's just me. I also don't ride any kind of bike, so I haven't had that issue!