Maintainers for over a year secret?

Options

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The "secret" is learning what you need to do as a lifestyle, such that maintaining your weight is an effortless process. It is as individual as the people doing it. The specifics of what I do, are very likely different than what others do.
  • alphabetsoup2013
    alphabetsoup2013 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP since March 2013 and for the last year (Dec 2014 to present) I have been in the same 10 lb range so I consider that maintenance for me. My highest ever weight was 307 and now I'm in the low 170s. So I guess I qualify...I'm only down 3 lb from 1 year ago but for me, that's still kind of amazing. Size 10 skinny jeans and all...hehe. I got to this point around October 2014 and originally planned to "stop" in the 150s but never made it that far down (yet) so happily maintaining in the 160s-170s. I used to log every bite every day. Now I'd say I log 80% of the time. I'm happy though!

That is fantastic and very much counts as maintaining. Good for you!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    The "secret" is learning what you need to do as a lifestyle, such that maintaining your weight is an effortless process. It is as individual as the people doing it. The specifics of what I do, are very likely different than what others do.

While I don't think for most people it's ever an effortless process I would say that lifestyle is definitely the key.
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be effortless, but it should be comfortable. If it's a strain to maintain, perhaps the daily rhythm or goals need to adjust. I lost nearly 70 lbs, found that was rough to keep up, floated back up to a comfortable spot and just stay within a reasonable range 5-10 lbs higher than my lowest. Can I get there again? Sure, but I don't want to be there if I'm going to be food stressed again.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I have adjusted my weight goal higher this time. I am hoping with the higher weight and at least 3 good walks each week, I will be able to maintain my weight and enjoy the foods I love in moderation.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I have been in maintenance about 2.5 years, staying within 5lbs of my ideal weight. I log everything I eat and all of my exercise calories, every day, I have a 950+ day streak. I don't find it a burden any more than I do brushing my teeth or showering, it is just something that I have to do, whether I feel like it or not!

I injured my foot in August and have had to totally stop running, which was a huge part of my cardio regiment. Without those extra calories to eat back it has been tougher, but I just made it through the holidays without gaining, primarily by adding alternative cardio. I don't think I could have maintained without closely tracking my calories.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    woofer00 wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be effortless, but it should be comfortable. If it's a strain to maintain, perhaps the daily rhythm or goals need to adjust. I lost nearly 70 lbs, found that was rough to keep up, floated back up to a comfortable spot and just stay within a reasonable range 5-10 lbs higher than my lowest. Can I get there again? Sure, but I don't want to be there if I'm going to be food stressed again.

I think this is a good point. I thought I wanted to hit a certain weight but I realized I had to keep working too hard to stay there. At the end, I raised it a few and I don't think I look much different in the mirror. The scale is just off a bit :)
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    llbrixon wrote: »
    How many people have reached their goal, been maintaining for at least a year or more, and still come back to My Fitness Pal to check in once in to post their weight to stay accountable?

Yeah, it helps. It's pretty easy to maintain without logging if you're experienced with calorie counts and can eyeball stuff well, and I've been essentially maintaining for decades. But in my more recent case, I need the math to do stuff like calorie cycling and intermittent fasting related to lifting. I can't eyeball and do the mental math well enough to manage that properly. So, I log. I eat mostly the same stuff through the week so it's no big time sink anyways.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    llbrixon wrote: »
    How many people have reached their goal, been maintaining for at least a year or more, and still come back to My Fitness Pal to check in once in to post their weight to stay accountable?

Yeah, it helps. It's pretty easy to maintain without logging if you're experienced with calorie counts and can eyeball stuff well, and I've been essentially maintaining for decades. But in my more recent case, I need the math to do stuff like calorie cycling and intermittent fasting related to lifting. I can't eyeball and do the mental math well enough to manage that properly. So, I log. I eat mostly the same stuff through the week so it's no big time sink anyways.

Actually you touch upon an added benefit of logging; the requirement to remember things, add/subtract/multiply/divide things, and convert things between the imperial and metric systems! In other words, actually using your brain to process numbers instead of some digital crutch.

Of course I occasionally use a spreadsheet or my phone calculator app, but sadly, most of the math I do mentally in the real world is figuring out portions I need to log. Keeping your mental "analog" calculation skills sharp is a good thing!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I've been at goal since May 2012. Today was my 1,745th consecutive day of logging. I like keeping a food journal and I've made a few good friends here.
  • pensk8r
    pensk8r Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Once I feel my clothes starting to get tight I know I need to log my food again to get back on track.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I stopped losing around October of 2014. I maintained that weight until September 2015 and then started a bulk cycle. I've gained 8-10 lbs in the past 4 months, on purpose, and plan to start cutting on February 8. So it's been over a year since I hit my initial goal weight, but I've never fallen off the bandwagon. I was a yo-yo dieter from ages 16-22 and this is the only time I haven't inadvertently gained the weight I lost back almost immediately.

The only secret is that I have is that I've never left MFP. I haven't stopped logging and I don't plan to in the foreseeable future. Discovering that I truly love weightlifting/bodybuilding was really helpful in making that switch. I no longer just want to hit some arbitrary number on a scale and stay there. There's no finish line when it comes to my fitness goals - progress doesn't stop once the excess fat is gone. I want to get stronger and I want to put on muscle. The most efficient way to do that is cutting and bulking cycles, so I need to know that my nutrition is on point.

I went from eating under 1200 calories a day (the dark times) to 1400 to 1600 to 1800 before I realized that I didn't have to be miserable and hungry all day to lose weight. I lost the last 15ish pounds at 1850 calories/day. I maintained at 2150 calories/day and I've gotten up to 2660 calories/day during this bulk, and I'm only gaining about 0.5 lb/week. Realizing that I could reach my goals without hating the process changed my mindset. To me, maintenance doesn't appeal to me - it's like sitting in one spot and making no progress. No thanks. Bulking is a blast, cutting isn't so bad, and the results are worth it all.
  • jeany48
    jeany48 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have maintained a 50 lb loss for over 2 years! I never cut anything out of my diet and knew that it had to be a lifestyle change and not just a diet/part time thing. I watch what I eat and have a great workout routine that I absolutely love. I have 3 kids so it can be tricky to fit it in, but I make it a priority!
  • smc0170
    smc0170 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've been down over 70 pounds for about 15 months now. I still keep up with logging constantly, and just stay pretty active. For me, the exercise is now my favorite part of the day.

You might think that you get to the point where you start to not think about it as much, but I've found that's never been the case for me. I don't beat myself up whatsoever for a bad stretch anymore (like the Holidays) but I still find myself trying as much as I can to stay on top of my diet.
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    14 months for me.
    I've set my calories at a 1/2 lb loss as found normal settings not quite working. I frequently go over by a few calories and eat my exercise burns (hence the settings) and this is working for me.
    I still log, but I don't whilst on holiday (but still aim to stay within my usual regime) as feels like a "break" but the rest of the time I do. I don't do cheat days. If I know I've a big meal out planned (birthday or work do) I make sure I do extra exercise that day and still try and make sensible choices.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I am at 4 years maintenance and rarely log my food anymore. I am back right now because I gained 4-5 pounds after being off work and the holidays. For me, the secret is eat good food, do exercise that you like and only have one size pants ( none streachy pants!!!).....when those get a bit snug.....time to look at what I am doing.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I have maintained for a year, the most I've put on it 5 lbs and I've not been below my goal, I average 3lbs over original goal now. Sometimes I log for a few months at a time, sometimes I don't and it's not made a difference ( the 5lb gain was at xmas) to my weight. If you spent long enough loosing then you know how to eat right and the amounts! Just weigh ever now and again to check!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »
    I have been in maintenance about 2.5 years, staying within 5lbs of my ideal weight. I log everything I eat and all of my exercise calories, every day, I have a 950+ day streak. I don't find it a burden any more than I do brushing my teeth or showering, it is just something that I have to do, whether I feel like it or not!

I injured my foot in August and have had to totally stop running, which was a huge part of my cardio regiment. Without those extra calories to eat back it has been tougher, but I just made it through the holidays without gaining, primarily by adding alternative cardio. I don't think I could have maintained without closely tracking my calories.

Great post, @bw_conway ! Very helpful!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I reached my one year in November. My success comes from the realization an acceptance that I still need to log every single day. Not everyone does, but I do. And I'm okay with that.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    hyg99 wrote: »
    I've set my calories at a 1/2 lb loss as found normal settings not quite working. I frequently go over by a few calories and eat my exercise burns (hence the settings) and this is working for me.
    I still log, but I don't whilst on holiday (but still aim to stay within my usual regime) as feels like a "break" but the rest of the time I do. I don't do cheat days. If I know I've a big meal out planned (birthday or work do) I make sure I do extra exercise that day and still try and make sensible choices.

I do this as well BUT I do log on holidays as that keeps me honest when I eat an extra chocolate truffle or add an extra helping of chips and queso! I have a bad memory when it comes to the smaller things, especially those that end up in my mouth because those calories add up! I also do not believe in cheat days; rather I give myself permission to enjoy something with no guilt, knowing that I will make up for it in other ways. My trainer was amazed that I actually lost a pound during the holidays while eating all that holiday "extra."