Any stories of weight loss without much/any exercise?

Options
Hi, I am looking for stories of those who have lost weight with little or no exercising. I have a rib injury that will take quite awhile to fix if it is fixable and all I can really do is walk. I know walking is exercise, but I don't feel like I am not able to do enough walking to help very much right now. Thanks :)

Replies

• carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Weight loss requires that your calories in are less than your calories out...no exercise required.

Body composition, and therefore how you look in your clothes, requires exercise...most effectively, weights.

Even if you can't walk right now perhaps you could do some light weight lifting and progress from there.

Good luck...you can do this. Sorry...I just saw that your injury is rib related so maybe weights aren't for you. Walking will help...any exercise you can manage will help.

• Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    thanks for your reply and good wishes. It just seems like everyone exercises and was kinda wanting to see who has done this without it or little of it.
  • Pretty_Little_Nobody
    Options
    I have lost 160lbs without exercise, though eventually, to tone up I know I should x
  • Sandytoes71
    Options
    I have lost 160lbs without exercise, though eventually, to tone up I know I should x

Wow!! congratulations!!!!!!! Would you mind sharing how many cals you have as your goal and how tall u r? Could you share how you've done this? Wow!!!
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    There's a lady who is a wheelchair user who has lost a phenomenal amount of weight. She's lovely. I'll try find her story and post it
  • caperchick78
    caperchick78 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I started doing 5 minutes on a recumbent bike, and eventually worked my way up to 40 minutes. But my weight loss success has been due to my diet. I followed Canada's Food Guide, and stayed within my calories. Meta analyses have consistently shown that eating less is far more important for weight loss than exercise. Exercise is very important, however, for cardiac health, muscle and joint health, building muscle )which will help burn calories), and mental health. I suggest talking to your physician and finding out what you can do that will be safe. Water activities are great, and burn calories. Find something you Aldo enjoy doing, because you'll be more likely to stick with it. I hope I could offer some insight into your question.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I lost 123 pounds while doing just light exercise. Maybe working out once or twice a week, sometimes not at all. It's all about CI/CO, but I try to do more now to tone up. I'm just a lazy slug lol.
  • Ginny218
    Ginny218 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i only walk, cook, clean, and seated exercise on you tube - lost 17 lb - very slow 143 days ... 1500 calories and 5'6' started 220 now at 203... waiting for the onederfuls.. as the call under 200. My status is sedentary. I have started bento for my lunch. Trying to keep the numbers across the bottom out of the red. Being as accurate with the exercise and food as I can .. using a scale alot. I have an open diary... take a look.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Down 33 lbs so far (in 3.5 months). No deliberate exercise, other than climbing stairs rather than taking an elevator when I have an option.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Yep. I did not start to do much till I was nearing 100 lbs down (Summer 2013). The only thing I really do is walk (every day pretty much since July 2013 when got my first tracker)

u2sk5x7d21i2.png
  • Sandytoes71
    Options
    congrats everyone!!!!!!!!
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 20 lbs on weight watchers earlier this year with next to no exercise. It was a fairly severe deficit, so the weight came off easily.
  • Sandytoes71
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    There's a lady who is a wheelchair user who has lost a phenomenal amount of weight. She's lovely. I'll try find her story and post it

lol, i had read her thread actually before I posted this. I didn't want to highjack her thread. lol. i bookmarked it.
  • Sandytoes71
    Options
    mamadon wrote: »
    I lost 123 pounds while doing just light exercise. Maybe working out once or twice a week, sometimes not at all. It's all about CI/CO, but I try to do more now to tone up. I'm just a lazy slug lol.

do u mind sharing your cal goals and stuff? that is wonderful for u!!!!
  • Sandytoes71
    Options
    I started doing 5 minutes on a recumbent bike, and eventually worked my way up to 40 minutes. But my weight loss success has been due to my diet. I followed Canada's Food Guide, and stayed within my calories. Meta analyses have consistently shown that eating less is far more important for weight loss than exercise. Exercise is very important, however, for cardiac health, muscle and joint health, building muscle )which will help burn calories), and mental health. I suggest talking to your physician and finding out what you can do that will be safe. Water activities are great, and burn calories. Find something you Aldo enjoy doing, because you'll be more likely to stick with it. I hope I could offer some insight into your question.

canada food guide? I'll have to look that up. thanks!!
  • Sandytoes71
    Options
    airangel59 wrote: »
    Yep. I did not start to do much till I was nearing 100 lbs down (Summer 2013). The only thing I really do is walk (every day pretty much since July 2013 when got my first tracker)

u2sk5x7d21i2.png

would u mind sharing your cal goals and whatever else you did foodwise? thanks so much and congrats!!!
  • Sandytoes71
    Options
    Ginny218 wrote: »
    i only walk, cook, clean, and seated exercise on you tube - lost 17 lb - very slow 143 days ... 1500 calories and 5'6' started 220 now at 203... waiting for the onederfuls.. as the call under 200. My status is sedentary. I have started bento for my lunch. Trying to keep the numbers across the bottom out of the red. Being as accurate with the exercise and food as I can .. using a scale alot. I have an open diary... take a look.

Thanks you, i'll go stalk your diary lol!
  • Sandytoes71
    Options
    I lost almost 20 lbs on weight watchers earlier this year with next to no exercise. It was a fairly severe deficit, so the weight came off easily.

are you at goal now? what was your cal goal? Thanks and congrats!!!!!
  • hithere0711
    hithere0711 Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've lost forty lbs since the summer with no exercise. I typically stay at the 1,200 calorie goal mfp set for me (sometimes I'm over or under) and I
    Tend to have a cheat meal once a week rather than a cheat day.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!