I am bingeing on sweets and I don't know how to stop it...

Options
I ate an entire family size chocolate bar today, 3 squares a time....chocolate chip cookies yesterday, donut the day before....this happens at work since I don't buy such things for the house.

Any tips? I know I shouldn't, how do you stop? Sugar is addictive!

Replies

• CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Bring alternatives to work with you. Dark Dark Chocolate. Nuts.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Moderate or elimate

Log before eating it

Bring alternatives

• allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Bring snacks with you, do you bring a lunch? If so than leave your bank/credit cards at home and only take a small amount of cash with you. If not than start bringing your own food. If you feel like to need to have these things than leave room in your calories for them. If it is something sweet you are after, ripe bananas, strawberries, mango, etc. very good for you and very sweet.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Bring your own snacks. I find such foods far less tempting after I've eaten an apple or banana.
  • freesoul
    freesoul Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I work in a group home and we are expected to eat with the clients because it builds community. The meals are very healthy and there are plenty of good snacks like fruit,yogurt, nuts etc.... And I eat these things and drink a glass of water and then still binge!!!

I'm not hungry I just want it...I even tried drinking tea instead...seriously how do you just not grab it! Am I the only one with issues?
  • Garthweightlosspal
    Garthweightlosspal Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    "..seriously how do you just not grab it!", uh..by not just grabbing it...one must suffer before they can rebuild themself. the "see what you eat" diet doesn't work too well.
  • noodlesnacks
    noodlesnacks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You just need to make them unavailable. Don't bring them to work, and leave your cards/cash at home if you are using a vending machine. Bring some fruit to work instead. I don't recommend nuts or dark chocolate personally. They have a very high energy density, and it's easy to eat too much for your energy budget.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Noticing that you over eat certain things is the first step in finding alternatives. It's just like anything else, you have to factor the worth of the pleasure you get from it. You can exercise a little more, and eat more chocolate or sweets. Or you can find an alternative that you enjoy.

The right decision isn't always as fun, but sometimes it's just the right decision.
  • Lo0BLu
    Lo0BLu Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I found that chewing gum really helped me. I discovered that I was always chewing, either a pen or my nails and food. I found if I used gum (sugar free) then I could swap out the chewing on sweets for chewing gum.
    I'm not sure when it happened but I don't chew gum anymore so its not like you are swapping one habit for another. But you are breaking the habit, you have to ween yourself off the sweet stuff.
    Not sure that helps but it worked for me.
    If you are into the food logging thing, then when you feel like that doughnut, log it and see how many of your allotted calories disappear in one hit. It made me choose healthier, more filling options that would see me through until dinner time. Bananas and mango's are your friend :)
    Stay strong, you can do this if you really want to do this.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    After three or four days in a row of choosing more wisely, you will be on your way to developing a good habit.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Are the chocolates and biscuits things you took in or are they there for the residents? If you have taken them in, then simply don't. If they are in the cupboards for the residents then think of them that way (even if you are allowed to eat them too, just change the rules in your head! ;) ). They are NOT yours, you wouldn't go into a friend's house, have lunch with them and then rummage in their cupboards and start eating their chocolate now would you? And if you would, think of someone else, like an Aunt or someone whose house you wouldn't... But in the end, it really does just come down to willpower, which do you want more, to feel satisfied when you look in the mirror or to feel satisfied for the two minutes it takes you to snarf that chocolate...? Go chat to a resident when you feel the urge. Good luck.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I've been there before -last January in fact. Its just habit. Its nice to have and once you start eating it you get cravings for more. I just quit and told myself I couldn't have it. I didn't go cold-turkey but bought small bars for the house and had one every now an again when it fit my cals. It was will power with me and the carvings went away. This Christmas I found the more chocolates I ate , the more I thought about them and wanted them. I was happy when they were all gone and I'm back to normal now. Good luck.
  • KASbelle
    KASbelle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I will usually chew sugarfree gum and keep a bottle of water with me. I will drink the water usually with some lemon or lime juice in it. If I get tempted to snack I'll just chew gum so it feels like eating without getting the calories or guilt.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    freesoul wrote: »
    I ate an entire family size chocolate bar today, 3 squares a time....chocolate chip cookies yesterday, donut the day before....this happens at work since I don't buy such things for the house.

After you've had a square or two, if you can't stop, throw it out. Seriously. And if you dig it out of the garbage and eat it, seek help. :*
  • mrsmknitta
    mrsmknitta Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I know EXACTLY how you feel. I bring healthy foods to work and even pre log it but my breakroom and work place in general is full of candy, pastries, cookies, etc... it sucks! It's funny because half of the people that I work worth complain about it, but people keep supplying it so we keep eating it. One woman said she has gained 100 pounds over the last 10 years working there. 100 pounds!!! I need to get my will power back. Reading some of these posts has helped.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    If none of the above posts work, I vote you eat it until you're satisfied, log it all. Then eat normally for the rest of the week, or see if you can.

Do not let your addictions overcome your morality! Do not sell your loved ones or yourself to get your next sugar fix, ok? :(
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Accept that you'll eat at least a few sweets. Because, realistically you're not going cold turkey.

Do an experiment for 2 weeks:

1- Commit to logging ALL sweets into mfp, BEFORE you eat it. No matter how small. Promise.
    The act of logging will encourage less consumption. But the experiment doesn't end just yet:

2- Make notes of your triggers in mfp. ie more likely eat sweets at mid-afternoon slump, when frustrated with someone, or right before tackling a negative task.

After 2 weeks:
    3 - Review your consumption & triggers. look for patterns.
    4- Find alternative behavior, ie stepping outside for some fresh air & flowers, visiting the resident cat, walking & chatting with someone (instead of snacking & chatting with someone)
    5- Bounce some ideas around with a friend/coworker. They might suggest some creative alternative behavior that you didn't think of.

The key is to document what is ACTUALLY happening for 2 weeks. and be honest.
    Then replacing the snacking behavior with positive alternative behavior.

Let us know how it goes. you can do it !!
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Addiction is psychological. Difficult to overcome. 85% of what is going on is in your subconscious. Professional help is needed. The way you are bringing and unable to stop stems from a control issue, low self esteem, and feelings of hopelessness. A good therapist will help you find the root cause. Once you understand it you will be in a better position overcome what is causing you to binge.
  • bracey100
    bracey100 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    freesoul wrote: »

Try not to take money to work then u can't buy anything try an repace we fruit determination is what u need :smiley:
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Orbit sweet mint sugar free gum