OK.........So now I'm sad after researching this...................

Options
Sandytoes71
Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
edited January 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Actually, I'm doubly sad bc this is the third time i've tried to type this lol. Anyway, I have done alittle reading on artificial sweeteners, specifically Splenda. There are several bad things it can possibly do to our bodies, but the two I'm upset about is reading that it can spike insulin levels and cause fat storage. I've read that foreign chemicals like sucralose (sp?) can do this. I thought I was doing great by substituting splenda sweetened tea for diet coke. It seems though, that it's all bad. That leaves..............plain ole water :( And I don't like lemon/lime in my water either, so I can't even flavor it. Basically, the info i've read is stating that our bodies don't know what to do with foreign chemicals so it stores it.

What are your thoughts on splenda? Have y'all read these things too? And what am I gonna do about my no cal spray butter now? Its foreign chemicals should cause fat storage too? When I use the word, foreign, I'm talking about foreign to our bodies. What butter should I use???

Replies

• muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have also read about artificial sweeteners being bad and even making people gain weight. Use olive oil for cooking if you can. I can't help you with a sweetener though, I only drink water and coffee with milk.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Just don't over do it. I think there's more a worry about how it affects gut flora.
    You're about to hear from lots of people how they lost fat while eating AS. I'm one of them!
    A calorie deficit will cause weight loss. Done moderately it will cause mostly fat loss.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation. A little bit of splenda isn't going to kill you. (You might also look at stevia.) but if you're consuming a lot of it every day, that's probably not too good.
    Try using a tea-bag in your water to flavor it- My go-tos are green tea, mint, and white apricot. Adds flavor, no calories, and green and white tea have a bit of antioxidents in them.

As to no cal spray butter, start using olive oil for all your cooking instead. Sure it's a few more calories, but it's all natural and it's Omega 9 fats, not 6's.
  • Sandytoes71
    Options
    Well, it's like when I have a baked potato or something that butter goes on. Do u use butter?
  • FatGothSlim
    FatGothSlim Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    As awful as it sounds, I have opted to drink my coffee and tea without any kind of sweetener. If all else fails, try using real sugar or raw sugar....just cut your consumption in half and slowly wean yourself off of it. I know that's not the fun solution. If you like the carbonation of soda but not the sugar/sweeteners/sodium, try La Croix. It's carbonated water with a fresh natural flavor added. There are no calories or sweeteners and it satisfies my soda cravings. 0 cals too! I love the Lemon flavor and the Pina Fraise aka Pineapple Strawberry. If you are a fan of strong coconut flavors, they have a Coconut one that I don't like...but my friend and mom love them! Also try the flavored Seltzer waters by Polar. They are fantastic. If you must, must have soda....I recommend drinking regular soda...just drink a smaller portion. The best of all solutions is to stick to whole natural food and stay away from chemical substitutes for anything. Cheers!
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Butter every time. But 5g. There's plenty of ways to fit these delicious foods in.
  • FatGothSlim
    Options
    Oh! Also...if you like sweetened iced tea and can't stomach it without sugar...I find that the un-sweet fruity flavored teas make me miss the sugar a little less. It's an acquired taste. You may be surprised at how you begin to enjoy it without the added sugar. The idea of added sugar and fat makes my stomach up set thinking about it.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I only have butter as a splurge. If I'm going out for steak, I'll have butter. (My husband is pre-diabetic and has to watch his carbs, so I rarely make them at home, but when I do, I either use nonfat sour cream or a bit of the Trader Joe's Lemon Olive Oil with some feta cheese.
  • Sandytoes71
    Options
    As awful as it sounds, I have opted to drink my coffee and tea without any kind of sweetener. If all else fails, try using real sugar or raw sugar....just cut your consumption in half and slowly wean yourself off of it. I know that's not the fun solution. If you like the carbonation of soda but not the sugar/sweeteners/sodium, try La Croix. It's carbonated water with a fresh natural flavor added. There are no calories or sweeteners and it satisfies my soda cravings. 0 cals too! I love the Lemon flavor and the Pina Fraise aka Pineapple Strawberry. If you are a fan of strong coconut flavors, they have a Coconut one that I don't like...but my friend and mom love them! Also try the flavored Seltzer waters by Polar. They are fantastic. If you must, must have soda....I recommend drinking regular soda...just drink a smaller portion. The best of all solutions is to stick to whole natural food and stay away from chemical substitutes for anything. Cheers!

I will totally look for these, thanks!
  • Sandytoes71
    Options
    Butter every time. But 5g. There's plenty of ways to fit these delicious foods in.

What's the best butter to use. I usually would use country crock margarine, but I don't think that's good for me either.
  • Sandytoes71
    Options
    I only have butter as a splurge. If I'm going out for steak, I'll have butter. (My husband is pre-diabetic and has to watch his carbs, so I rarely make them at home, but when I do, I either use nonfat sour cream or a bit of the Trader Joe's Lemon Olive Oil with some feta cheese.

• FatGothSlim
    Options
    Well, it's like when I have a baked potato or something that butter goes on. Do u use butter?

I now eat my baked potatoes without anything on them. If I am having a bowl of soup, depending on the type of soup I will pour it over my cubed baked potato. It's a hearty meal and fills you up without adding fat or sacrificing flavor.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Even if the artificials do spike your insulin - if that's all you had was a diet drink - there is nothing to store as fat.

For that brief time insulin is up fat release is stopped, but body isn't fooled that bad and as soon as blood sugar drops a bit because you stopped using fat an main energy source and blood sugar was instead, insulin will drop right back down again.

If drinking with food - well your food was going to increase insulin anyway. It's the nature of body preparing for some sugar coming in with sweet taste that can make it release insulin in preparation.

So I'd remove that as factor. Whatever else you research and believe would be more useful.

And be aware of the differences between when product with it is heated and not heated but kept cool. Some research will comment on that difference - but play off the heated info when the product you use might never be in that state, so the effect is immaterial.
  • FatGothSlim
    Options

What's the best butter to use. I usually would use country crock margarine, but I don't think that's good for me either.

Real butter. Unsalted if you can stand it.
  • FatGothSlim
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Even if the artificials do spike your insulin - if that's all you had was a diet drink - there is nothing to store as fat.

Also keep in mind that different foods take different amounts of time to digest and move from your stomach through your intestines etc. before completing the process. Nutrients are primarily absorbed in the small intestine so even though you may drink a diet Coke on an 'empty stomach' you food is likely still moving through your intestines. The best way to think about food is to eat things that are only 1 or two steps away from the Earth. If you can't walk outside and find it...or make it at home with ingredients found at the market...you probably shouldn't eat. If it's packaged and has got more than one or 2 steps of processing or more than 1 or 2 ingredients on the label that you can't pronounce....or if the ingredients are not 'whole food' ingredients...I would avoid it where you can.
  • Sandytoes71
    Options

For that brief time insulin is up fat release is stopped, but body isn't fooled that bad and as soon as blood sugar drops a bit because you stopped using fat an main energy source and blood sugar was instead, insulin will drop right back down again.

If drinking with food - well your food was going to increase insulin anyway. It's the nature of body preparing for some sugar coming in with sweet taste that can make it release insulin in preparation.

So I'd remove that as factor. Whatever else you research and believe would be more useful.

And be aware of the differences between when product with it is heated and not heated but kept cool. Some research will comment on that difference - but play off the heated info when the product you use might never be in that state, so the effect is immaterial.

yes, this was one thing i read about.....how the insulin can cause fat storage, but also I read that our bodies don't know what to do with the unnatural chemicals, so it stores those chemicals as fat. Have u heard of that before?

Also, can you explain your second paragraph somewhat, im kinda confused. Where u talk about blood sugar dropping? Thanks so much for your help.
  • Sandytoes71
    edited January 2016
    Options

Also keep in mind that different foods take different amounts of time to digest and move from your stomach through your intestines etc. before completing the process. Nutrients are primarily absorbed in the small intestine so even though you may drink a diet Coke on an 'empty stomach' you food is likely still moving through your intestines. The best way to think about food is to eat things that are only 1 or two steps away from the Earth. If you can't walk outside and find it...or make it at home with ingredients found at the market...you probably shouldn't eat. If it's packaged and has got more than one or 2 steps of processing or more than 1 or 2 ingredients on the label that you can't pronounce....or if the ingredients are not 'whole food' ingredients...I would avoid it where you can.

omgosh, Nicole, u have to be the healthiest eater I have ever come across lol! U go girl!!!! but i have to say, u lost me when u stated "unsalted if u can stand it" lol. I knew right then that I'm not gonna be able to stand it lmbo! BUT, how will I know it's a true butter. Sorry, I don't mean to keep asking questions :blush: Will the package just say butter? Also, is your diary viewable??
  • FatGothSlim
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Look at the ingredients - the ingredients should really only be sweet cream and salt. And no, I'm not always the most healthy eater. I eat many things that don't fit the guidelines above. Those are just general rules and rules (of dieting) are meant to be broken. A lifestyle change should not be about strict, rigid rules. It should be taking the rules and bending them to fit your specific needs. I once overloaded on carbs I thought were healthy (Rice, Special K cereal, Bottled coffee drinks with Splenda, 100 Calorie Jello/Pudding, etc) until I didn't see weight loss, started gaining weight that I could not lose despite cutting calories, and developed a severe thyroid issue. I've felt that my body personally feels better when I eat Earth based foods. Lean meats, dairy, eggs, some fruit, and lots of vegetables have changed my sense of wellbeing very drastically. People say it's nearly impossible to lose weight with a thyroid issue...but in my case I met with a medical nutritionist and after making the changes I've told you about...I've seen weight loss after 2 years of battling my weight uphill with no results.
  • FatGothSlim
    Options
    I've added you and made my diary visible to friends. I have some feedback about your goals on your diary if you want to private message I can give you some information. =]
  • linguisticat77
    linguisticat77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to use nothing but artificial sweeteners, "no fat" oil substitutes, non-fat cheese substitutes, "diet" sodas, etc. and I was gaining weight and size (pant and shirt) slowly but consistently, even with fairly small portion sizes - and I was catching colds very often - about once a month or so. Then about 2 and a half years ago I went to the doctor for an unrelated issue, he told me I was borderline diabetic and I might need to be put on Metformin. As far as I could tell I was not consuming any sugars, "real" sugars at least. Since I knew I was not consuming sugar it did not make any sense how I could be borderline diabetic, so I started reading about proper nutrition and I found out about how all the bad things that we are consuming build-up in our system and cause problems in our body, so I decided to try a radical change and start eating "real" fats and "real" sugars (e.g. eggs, butter, milk, cheese, local honey, real sugar sweeteners, etc.). I cut out all sweetened (real and artificially sweetened) beverages and honestly it took about 3 months of drinking water and freshly brewed unsweetened teas (not the instant/fake kind) not to miss the soda and/or sweetened beverages.

After a while I actually noticed my clothes fitting looser! When I went back to the doctor he told me I was well within normal blood sugar range and I had lost 10 pounds! About a month later I read a book called "Nourishing Traditions" - a bit hippy-dippy, but still interesting, informative, and loaded with great recipes. Then my best friend introduced me to "Kefir" (also mentioned in the book) made from milk and kefir "grains" - not the pasteurized yogurt stuff they sell in health food stores - and I started drinking that in the morning. Honestly, the first time I drank it, I thought I had screwed up and it had gone bad - definitely not a particularly pleasant flavor, straight. I asked her if I had done something wrong and was assured that it was fine, but I should use it for smoothies instead of drinking it straight. I still don't much like the flavor of it plain - more tart than plain yogurt, but I now blend it together with it and whole frozen strawberries and whole frozen blueberries and it's actually surprisingly tasty! Now no more colds, more energy, and overall I just feel better. I started losing weight and started wearing clothes that I had not worn in over a year. Then over this past Christmas break my cousin introduced me to MyFitnessPal and I have been able to better track my caloric intake from my phone. I concentrate on balancing my Macro-nutrients (50% Carbs; 30% Fats; 20% Proteins), try to eat whole grains, and try to avoid as many chemical food products as possible.

Now I cook with real butter or coconut oil, have eggs and real bacon way more often than I used to, fry with light (not virgin or extra virgin) olive oil - yes I still consume fried foods in moderation, bake with coconut oil (and am about to try avocado as a butter substitute in baking - but don't expect to like the flavor), use E.V. olive oil in anything else that asks for oil, I use brown sugar for baking, make my own ice-cream sweetened with fruits and very little sugar, and I eat whole grains much more often. And when I need the "burn" of a soda I make my own using 3 parts seltzer water and 1 part "100% juice" juice* (*still high in sugar so be careful with this one) and it satisfies my craving for something fizzy. Also, save up and invest in a Vitamix or a Blendtec blender they are fantastic for making all kinds of healthy beverages, foods, soups, and flours - the most expensive, best investment I ever made in my kitchen!

Honestly it was hard at first to stay away from the sweet stuff (partly from habit and partly from cravings - sometimes INTENSE cravings), but the longer I did it, the easier it got. Now I don't even like most of the foods I used to eat regularly (e.g. Molly McButter vs real butter, Nacho Mom's fat-free queso vs real cheddar/mozzarella cheese, white rice vs brown/basmati rice, white bread vs health nut bread, etc.). And as for diet sodas and artificially sweetened beverages, I now notice a very obvious unpleasant chemically aftertaste that I was completely oblivious of before - and I hate it. I now feel that chemical "foods" are really just poisons best left out of my body. To date I have lost over 60 pounds and still have about 30 left.

Sorry for the long reply, it's just that your post resonated with me, so I thought I would share my experiences. Best of luck.