Why 1200 MFP?

Options

Replies

• WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    WrenTheCoffeeAddict Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I aim in-between 1200 and my TDEE, at about 1600. Because, learning from experience, my body hits a plateau at 1200, and I don't lose weight. But too high, and I just gain gain gain. So 1600 is a safe zone for me.
  • ren3liz
    ren3liz Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I find that if I can burn a few hundred calories and then eat 1400-1600 I am fine. But if I try to do a straight 1200 I'm shot, hangry, emphasis on the angry. :p

I know this will be an unpopular opinion here but I'm resistant to using a food scale. I just don't like the idea of weighing everything I eat because food means so much more culturally than grams of macros, at least to me. I think that would take some of the enjoyment out of eating and cause me some stress. It's something I would reconsider if I needed to, but for now what I'm doing is working.

Cheers everyone! The insight from experienced folks is much appreciated.
  • ren3liz
    Options
    Also P.s. I think I'll change my goal back to 1lb per week and see what MFP gives me- at 1.5lb it stays at 1200. Thx all!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    ren3liz wrote: »
    Thank you everyone! I find that if I can burn a few hundred calories and then eat 1400-1600 I am fine. But if I try to do a straight 1200 I'm shot, hangry, emphasis on the angry. :p

I know this will be an unpopular opinion here but I'm resistant to using a food scale. I just don't like the idea of weighing everything I eat because food means so much more culturally than grams of macros, at least to me. I think that would take some of the enjoyment out of eating and cause me some stress. It's something I would reconsider if I needed to, but for now what I'm doing is working.

I don't like the scale much either... So I don't use it all the time... But it was worth the experience because it helped me learn. Why not get one and use it here and there. If you're close in your estimates... Then don't use it.
  • morganfitnesspal
    morganfitnesspal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There's a blog by an obesity doc in Ottawa that you might find useful. http://www.weightymatters.ca/

The videos on the right hand side are a good place to start.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

I don't use my scale much when I do log. I used it to sanity-check my portions years ago and occasionally pull it out for a re-check on very calorie laden foods like nut butters. But overall I know what a half cup of rice looks like, or a tablespoon of nut butter or ounce of cheese. It's a worthwhile exercise to weigh some foods you eat really often, like your bowl of cereal, and just see if it's what you thought it was. Then go from the visual of where it hits the bowl.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry set your goal to a slower rate. Bingeing is often the result of a too-aggressive deficit. Slow, steady loss is still losing. I have a Fitbit Flex so it gives me a better idea of actual daily TDEE. I'm set to sedentary, .5lb/week and I eat back my exercise calories. I would be vey hungry on 1200 calories & I'm 5'2" & 118 lbs.
  • scfarrant
    scfarrant Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal on MFP is 1200 and it is barely achievable without exercise. In fact, I'm not certain that I have had a single day of 1200 (net) without adding extra calories to spend through effort! It works out at about 1400-1500 in reality.

I agree with the others that you have to find something sustainable and if you are feeling hungry all the time, that is not sustainable. Having said that, there are loads of food choices that are filling but not very calorific (I'm looking at you veggies!). Something to check is your daily total nutrition: are you macros right and are you getting all your required vitamins and minerals.

I don't eye-ball and I don't weigh but I do use measuring spoons for everything (tsp/tbsp/cup etc). Seems to be working okay for me.
  • franny0510
    franny0510 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    personally, I wouldn't go by a calculator. see what works for you. 1200 is hard if you are exercising - you have to be really careful about when you eat your carbs. it's not always about the amount you eat, but more what you eat......
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    2lbs/week? Why? And sedentary means just that...sedentary. If you're putting crazy stuff into your settings, you should expect crazy results. Yes, you should eat more than 1200 calories a day.

As for the scale, I don't get your logic. Food means WAY more to me than macros - as my profile says, I like food more than I like people. Weighing my food only means I actually know what my macros are. If I'm using cups and eyeballing portions, I have no clue how many calories I'm actually eating. You may be losing at a steady rate now, but if you stop losing while using your estimation method, how are you supposed to know what adjustments are necessary for you to start dropping pounds again? Weighing doesn't take any enjoyment out of eating. It's just a couple of extra minutes of preparation. It's the only way to accurately log your intake. I mean, it's your decision, but let's be honest about the reason - you just don't want to do the extra work. And that's fine; no need to sugarcoat it.

I lost most of my weight on 1850 calories/day. I have a desk job and I was lifting weights 4-5 days per week with very little cardio. I was losing about a half a pound a week, which is perfectly fine by me. It's not a race, and I refuse to be miserable and hungry all day just to lose 2 pounds per week for no good reason.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I mean, it's your decision, but let's be honest about the reason - you just don't want to do the extra work. And that's fine; no need to sugarcoat it.
    LOL. No need to sugarcoat this, either-- That was rude, self-righteous and ignorant. Welcome to my ignore list. <3
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,362 Member
    Options

I won't specifically try to talk anyone into using a food scale if s/he finds it somehow psychologically destructive, but I will say this (perhaps more for lurkers who may be reading than for OP):

Using a food scale sounds like a much more time consuming, or fussy, or intrusive process than it ultimately turns out to be (after a short learning phase, especially learning how to use tare/zero efficiently). I vaguely expected it to add some kind of obsessive flavor to logging, and it really didn't. It just saved time, and produced better data.
  • ren3liz
    Options
    Actually I was thinking about it and can think of a couple ways it would be really helpful for me in meal-prep: measuring portions of chicken/proteins for the week, buying a block of cheese and cutting/weighing it to exact portions, and getting a feel for what portions of my frequently eaten foods LOOK like. Not so much using it for individual meals, but as part of the week's prep. I just can't imagine busting out a food scale when I'm eating with friends! Thx all and cheers.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,362 Member
    Options
    Actually I was thinking about it and can think of a couple ways it would be really helpful for me in meal-prep: measuring portions of chicken/proteins for the week, buying a block of cheese and cutting/weighing it to exact portions, and getting a feel for what portions of my frequently eaten foods LOOK like. Not so much using it for individual meals, but as part of the week's prep. I just can't imagine busting out a food scale when I'm eating with friends! Thx all and cheers.

Your plan sounds reasonable/helpful.

I don't weigh food when I don't fix it at home. At restaurants and friends'/family's houses, I estimate (and not in real time during the occasion - later!). I've read a few people here who weigh when away from home, but most folks seem to do something more like I do.

In the world at large, other people's weight loss processes are boring. I don't feel the need to bore (or worse, embarrass) my friends & family.
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    2lbs/week? Why? And sedentary means just that...sedentary. If you're putting crazy stuff into your settings, you should expect crazy results. Yes, you should eat more than 1200 calories ..

I, for one, found everything Lyndsey said to be deeply honest and helpful.
    One of the hardest things about lifestyle changes is being honest with oneself.
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    MFP sets my calories at 1200 as well, however I am very diligent about exercising everyday and I eat half my earned calories. Its worked very well for me at this point, and Ive lost 23 lbs so far.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and go to school so I'm pretty sedentary. I tried 1200 a day and was completely miserable and would end up binging at night because I couldn't control my cravings from being so hungry. I eat 1500 a day now and have lost 20lbs :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I think this is a reasonable position. If you stall, something to try.

When I started I thought the food scale stuff was nuts and that I would never get so obsessive (and I was losing fine). I had a food scale from when I used to bake, but had no interest in using it for calorie counting. But then the measuring and estimating started to get annoying and I though, hmm, I'll try being more precise, and I found for me (even though I'd been losing fine without it), I actually preferred the scale, it seemed easier. I pop food on it when cooking and it's part of the process, and logging is easier when I have a number and don't have to think "was that a medium or large apple"? The most annoying part of logging for me still (other than restaurants) is having to try to figure out the cut of meat that fits best, since that's where I second guess myself, as I used to with the estimates.

Not at all saying you should go to a scale, though -- I just thought it was funny since I really did think it was way too much to weight initially.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    2lb per week sedentary, you nailed it. So it sounds like I should stick with 1200 and then just eat back at least a portion of my exercise calories (and I pretty much always want to). I measure with measuring spoons, cups, and eyeball portions - I don't use a scale - so there's a good chance I'm eating a couple hundred more calories than I think I am, anyway. Either way, I'm losing... I just find that I have to be EXTREMELY diligent to keep 1200, and I don't have room for the finer things in life, like red wine. :)

You should really consider getting a food scale. Like you, I found 1200 meant I had to be perfect to lose AT ALL, let alone lose to goal. As soon as I got a scale and really nailed my logging down, I found I was missing out on almost 200 calories a day, missing out on food I could have eaten, or wine I could have drank;) Consider that. Also consider that if you knew for sure how much you were eating, rather than eyeballing it, you could anticipate your daily intake and make room for wine, rather than continuing to abstain.
  • ren3liz
    Options
    2lb per week sedentary, you nailed it. So it sounds like I should stick with 1200 and then just eat back at least a portion of my exercise calories (and I pretty much always want to). I measure with measuring spoons, cups, and eyeball portions - I don't use a scale - so there's a good chance I'm eating a couple hundred more calories than I think I am, anyway. Either way, I'm losing... I just find that I have to be EXTREMELY diligent to keep 1200, and I don't have room for the finer things in life, like red wine. :)

You should really consider getting a food scale. Like you, I found 1200 meant I had to be perfect to lose AT ALL, let alone lose to goal. As soon as I got a scale and really nailed my logging down, I found I was missing out on almost 200 calories a day, missing out on food I could have eaten, or wine I could have drank;) Consider that. Also consider that if you knew for sure how much you were eating, rather than eyeballing it, you could anticipate your daily intake and make room for wine, rather than continuing to abstain.

Logic for the win!