OK.........So now I'm sad after researching this...................

Options

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Even if the artificials do spike your insulin - if that's all you had was a diet drink - there is nothing to store as fat.

Also keep in mind that different foods take different amounts of time to digest and move from your stomach through your intestines etc. before completing the process. Nutrients are primarily absorbed in the small intestine so even though you may drink a diet Coke on an 'empty stomach' you food is likely still moving through your intestines. The best way to think about food is to eat things that are only 1 or two steps away from the Earth. If you can't walk outside and find it...or make it at home with ingredients found at the market...you probably shouldn't eat. If it's packaged and has got more than one or 2 steps of processing or more than 1 or 2 ingredients on the label that you can't pronounce....or if the ingredients are not 'whole food' ingredients...I would avoid it where you can.

Which ingredients can't you pronounce? And isn't that a lack of education or knowledge rather than it being harmful to the human body?
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    @stevencloser and @Wetcoaster glad you guys showed up.
    I'm too busy to spend time dispelling derp and woo by myself and this thread is so full of it I didn't know where to start.

And up till know it's basically been left free to misinform.

Ok, here goes:
    OP, what you read was a woo article written on a basis of misinformed fear and not on real scientific facts.

Something being a "foreign chemical" doesn't make it bad for you. It doesn't make you store fat.
    Only a calorie surplus can make you store fat.

Sure, fat metabolism may be temporarily affected by an insulin spike but it comes out in the wash at the end of the day because your body won't store energy it needs to use and it will have to pull it from fat if you aren't eating more than you burn.

Also, almost everything spikes insulin.
    Carbs spike insulin.
    Protein spikes insulin (fact!)
    Regular coffee spikes insulin.
    Even some fats spike insulin.

Every food in the world can be painted to cause fat gain and disease if enough spin is put on it.
    Unless, you have a medical condition to consider, just eat what you like and keep to your calorie goal.

i-approve-of-this-post.jpg

• GMPetti82
    GMPetti82 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I started using my SodaStream to just make seltzer for myself. Sometimes I add a squeeze from an orange wedge or something to flavor it, but I love the fizzy water plain too. Also, I try to use olive oil (or other healthy oils) in my cooking in an oil sprayer in place of cooking spray, and opt to just a bit of real butter or real sugar when needed. If you can limit them, your body will metabolize them correctly.
  • bsbprincess
    bsbprincess Posts: 161 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Back when I was on WW a few years ago I was still in the position that I HAD to have cream and sweetener in my coffee. So I replaced my sugar with splenda. I started getting these headaches, stomach pains, bloating, etc. etc. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me so I googled splenda side effects when someone mentioned it wasn't good for me. I found a webpage called splenda sickness and the list was STAGGERING!! All of my symptoms were on there and when I stopped using it, they all went away. I'll never use it again.

I actually hated stevia, but tried this brand called truvia. Not sure how it's different but I know it's all natural and it tastes way more like sugar to me. I once sprinkled a pack on strawberries and it was heaven! Could swear I had used sugar.
  • AmandaOmega
    AmandaOmega Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've read that the problem with artificial sweeteners is that it tricks your body into not starting your metabolism when you taste sweet things. So when you use artificial sweeteners that have no calories, your brain gets smart and realizes that it shouldn't start your metabolism to prepare to use that sugar because there is none. Then when you consume real sugar and real sweets, your metabolism doesn't start up, so you end up storing it. I don't know whether or not it's true, but that's what I've read. Probably the better trick is to use real sugar, but in moderation. Or use a sugar alternative like honey.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I've read that the problem with artificial sweeteners is that it tricks your body into not starting your metabolism when you taste sweet things. So when you use artificial sweeteners that have no calories, your brain gets smart and realizes that it shouldn't start your metabolism to prepare to use that sugar because there is none. Then when you consume real sugar and real sweets, your metabolism doesn't start up, so you end up storing it. I don't know whether or not it's true, but that's what I've read. Probably the better trick is to use real sugar, but in moderation. Or use a sugar alternative like honey.

Your metabolism starts in the womb and only stops when you die.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I don't have any health issues, aside from being overweight. I do not use any artificial sweeteners. If I want something sweet, I use sugar. I also don't use margarine only butter and I use olive oil or canola oil. I'm sure I use some foreign things, but I try not to if possible. I like to flavor my water with cucumbers and mint or with berries. I also like lemon or lime, but since you don't you might try other fruits. And I always drink tea unsweetened or with mint.

Out of curiosity, why do you use canola oil but not margarine?

I don't use it often, but sometimes my husband likes to deep fry things. When he does we usually use canola because it isn't as expensive as olive oil. If I am sauteing something I will use butter or olive oil and when it comes to toast or a baked potato I always use real butter, just not a lot of it.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

Metabolism never stops or you would be dead.

This thread is depressing.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Even if the artificials do spike your insulin - if that's all you had was a diet drink - there is nothing to store as fat.

Also keep in mind that different foods take different amounts of time to digest and move from your stomach through your intestines etc. before completing the process. Nutrients are primarily absorbed in the small intestine so even though you may drink a diet Coke on an 'empty stomach' you food is likely still moving through your intestines. The best way to think about food is to eat things that are only 1 or two steps away from the Earth. If you can't walk outside and find it...or make it at home with ingredients found at the market...you probably shouldn't eat. If it's packaged and has got more than one or 2 steps of processing or more than 1 or 2 ingredients on the label that you can't pronounce....or if the ingredients are not 'whole food' ingredients...I would avoid it where you can.

All my food falls into this category because I am on earth. Right?

So much no in this post. So. Much. No.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Wow. This thread is... interesting.

OP, if you wanted to, you could find a blog or a website that will tell you any thing you can possibly imagine is bad for you.

Artificial sweeteners have been all over the food supply for decades, and there is still no definitive scientific proof that they cause any harm at all. If you are concerned anyway, by all means don't overdo it. But the human body is a miraculous thing. We would not have survived as a species this long if a fraction of a teaspoon of an artificial sweetener every once in a while could do us in.

If you are trying to lose weight, the most important thing for you to focus on is eating less calories. If having a diet soda or putting some sweetener in your coffee helps you do that, then go for it. Cause guess what - losing weight is one of the most important things you can do for the health of your body!

And I'm sorry, but the "I don't eat things I can't pronounce" thing makes my blood boil. As a NYer of Italian heritage, I hear how most people mis-pronounce words like "mozzarella" and would like to suggest y'all need to stop eating Italian food, since you can't pronounce most of that either. I'm still not sure of how to pronounce "acai" so I'm going to assume that stupid berry is going to slow down my metabolism and give me cancer too. The world is made up entirely of chemicals, many of which are essential for life and have confusing-sounding names.
  • bibliocephalus
    bibliocephalus Posts: 74 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Actually, I'm doubly sad bc this is the third time i've tried to type this lol. Anyway, I have done alittle reading on artificial sweeteners, specifically Splenda. There are several bad things it can possibly do to our bodies, but the two I'm upset about is reading that it can spike insulin levels and cause fat storage. I've read that foreign chemicals like sucralose (sp?) can do this. I thought I was doing great by substituting splenda sweetened tea for diet coke. It seems though, that it's all bad. That leaves..............plain ole water :( And I don't like lemon/lime in my water either, so I can't even flavor it. Basically, the info i've read is stating that our bodies don't know what to do with foreign chemicals so it stores it.

What are your thoughts on splenda? Have y'all read these things too? And what am I gonna do about my no cal spray butter now? Its foreign chemicals should cause fat storage too? When I use the word, foreign, I'm talking about foreign to our bodies. What butter should I use???

OP, I'd advise you to keep researching, but skip on blogs and websites that try to sell you things and stuff like that. Actual, cold, hard science attests to the safety of artificial sweeteners. The link I linked to above is a good start with many studies listed as sources.

OP here's a couple of other links I encourage you to check out. Try to stick to science based articles if you can. There is so much nutritional misinformation out there. One thing that can help with your searches is to add the word "evidence" when you google topics like this, for example: "Evidence for Safety of Sucralose."

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/artificial-sweeteners/art-20046936?pg=2

http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/diet/artificial-sweeteners-fact-sheet

As with anything, there are pros and cons, of course. Personally, I have weighed the risk/benefit ratio for Splenda/Sucrolose, and have decided that it is safe for me, in moderation. [p.s. I have lost 60 lbs, and drink 1-2 cans of Diet Dr. Pepper, and use 2 packets of Splenda in my morning coffee, per day.]
  • stmokomoko
    stmokomoko Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The main issue with artificial sweeteners (for me) is the laxative effect.

I'd LOVE to blame my flabbiness on the Coke Zero I drink, but I have a feeling it's because of all the pizza, fried chicken, cream puffs and lack of exercise. :D
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I use real butter. I couldn't be without it! For cooking I use rapeseed oil, sesame oil or coconut oil. I only use olive oil as a dressing.

I don't use sweetener but if I'm making something like pancakes or cheesecake I'll use stevia or agave which are natural sweeteners.

Having said that I do enjoy a diet drink every now and again...maybe 1 a fortnight.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

lebduck.gif

Not only is this wrong, it's completely made up. It's not even pseudoscience. It's 100% with no bearing whatsoever in factuality.
    It's sounds like someone asked a 2nd grader why "artificial sweeteners make people fat" and this was the best story the kid came up with.

1) your metabolism never stops. If it did you would die. It doesn't even slow down except for coming back down to normal levels after exercise or after multiple days of no food intake (yeah, you don't wake up in starvation mode and you won't get there by skipping lunch either).

2) you can't "trick" your brain and you especially can't trick it based on taste. Your brain doesn't say "oh this is sweet so it must be the same thing as that."
    Your body breaks down and metabolizes your food based on what it actually is.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Youi don't need to be sad. Close to 100 pounds gone here, with artificial sweeteners. They can be great a calorie saver if you don't mind the taste (I don't, and in fact I prefer diet drinks to regular which taste too sweet to me)

The best thing you could do for your peace of mind is to stop reading fear mongering articles, or just take them at face value. There is a common practice among people with agendas: take any factoid, and spin it off to make something sound like a poison or a miracle cure. You hear "spikes insulin" and think, "wow, now the pounds will start piling on", but what about the other crucial information that has been left out? By how much does it spike insulin? Because almost everything spikes insulin to varying degrees. Are you eating at a deficit? Then no, you most certainly will not be storing fat even if your insulin is through the roof.

Here is some fun reading how anything can be made to sound bad if you know how to spin it:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrogen_monoxide_hoax

Just don't worry and have the things you enjoy (or the things that help you fit the things you enjoy into your calorie budget)
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    The best thing you could do for your peace of mind is to stop reading fear mongering articles,

Which is just about every article in every women's magazine out there. Enough already.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

For that brief time insulin is up fat release is stopped, but body isn't fooled that bad and as soon as blood sugar drops a bit because you stopped using fat an main energy source and blood sugar was instead, insulin will drop right back down again.

If drinking with food - well your food was going to increase insulin anyway. It's the nature of body preparing for some sugar coming in with sweet taste that can make it release insulin in preparation.

So I'd remove that as factor. Whatever else you research and believe would be more useful.

And be aware of the differences between when product with it is heated and not heated but kept cool. Some research will comment on that difference - but play off the heated info when the product you use might never be in that state, so the effect is immaterial.

yes, this was one thing i read about.....how the insulin can cause fat storage, but also I read that our bodies don't know what to do with the unnatural chemicals, so it stores those chemicals as fat. Have u heard of that before?

Also, can you explain your second paragraph somewhat, im kinda confused. Where u talk about blood sugar dropping? Thanks so much for your help.

That's an... interesting thing you read there. If your body wouldn't know what to do with it, how would it know how to convert it to fat? Fat doesn't just appear out of thin air, your body has to process something to turn it into fat. You know, that whole energy equation thing that this website is all about with calorie counting and whatnot.

Artificial sweeteners are many many times sweeter than sugar and thus only put into drinks in amounts of fractions of a single gram. That's why they're 0 calories, there's just not enough in there to be over the 5 calorie threshold of needing to be labelled. So if you convert 1 calorie of a sweetener into 1 calorie of fat (somehow, despite not knowing what to do with it), you end up with 0.111 repeating grams of fat.
    Is that seriously something you need to worry about? Nope.

And all that aside, as you could probably already tell by the tone of my post, that's not even what happens.

Artificial sweeteners do not spike your insulin.
    https://examine.com/faq/do-artificial-sweeteners-spike-insulin/

And even if they did, without fat to store it can't do anything. Not even to speak of the fact insulin is an important hormone and nothing to be feared.

Splenda is mostly not metabolizable by the body, which means most of it just passes through you, not get turned to fat. To be able to be turned to fat it would need to be metabolizable.

Good to see some actual evidence-based information in this thread to offset all the woo and fearmongering.

pds26imvcv4s.jpg
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    well, I lost 173 pounds all while consuming artificial sweeteners in ginormous amounts. it's been nearly 2 years that i've maintained it now all while drinking diet soda like there's no tomorrow. If it supposedly causes fat storage (as opposed to the usual thing that causes it, like consuming more calories than you burn) then my body has yet to get that memo.
  • FabianMommy
    FabianMommy Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight in the past drinking plenty of diet soda, however, I have cut out all artificial sweetener and sugar and have found it much easier to control my sweet cravings. It was hard at first but a couple of months in, well worth it as I don't crave sugar or sweet foods anywhere near as much and while using sweetener, I was always wanting more. I'm not saying this method would work for everyone but it might help someone. For those that enjoy diet soda, everything in moderation.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I prefer not using AS at all, they make me feel terrible, give me a headache and I hate the taste. I also use full fat everything -- real, full fat butter, whole milk, etc. I am losing and feel great doing it!
    I don't use much sugar in anything as it is, I have found after a few days of not using sugar in coffee or eating sweets my tastes change and the sweet stuff ends up being too sweet.