Losing Fat and Toning my body

Options
Hello!

I'm 26, currently 171.4 pounds and 5ft. 6in. tall. My goal is to lose weight/transform. I don't really care about the number on the scale. My goal is to lose probably 20-30 pounds by July 2016. My tough area is My belly and thigh fat. Currently I am trying to eat low-carb, low sugar.

Any suggestions on exercises, dieting, etc.?

kt2g63ddki1q.jpg

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Fill out your MFP profile to lose 1 pound a week. Eat that plus any exercise calories you earn. Some people find that the exercise calories given by MFP are off. I suggest eating a specific portion of them (100%, 75%, or 50%) for four weeks and then looking at your results to decide if you should eat more of them or fewer of them.

Unfortunately, we cannot spot reduce fat. We can work on strengthening and, with proper nutrition, building specific muscles. To lose fat on your stomach and thighs, eat in a caloric deficit, which means eating fewer calories than you burn. You can do that by eating less, moving more (all physical activity burns calories), or a combination. Keep in mind that if you are genetically programmed to have a certain body shape, you will not be able to change your overall genetics but you can optimize your shape/look/fitness level.
  • jlsully7
    jlsully7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jemhh! I think I just need to keep my patience and stick with it. I currently track my workouts with the Polar RT4 watch and chest strap and input calories burned that way.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jlsully7 wrote: »
    Thanks Jemhh! I think I just need to keep my patience and stick with it. I currently track my workouts with the Polar RT4 watch and chest strap and input calories burned that way.

Sounds good. Just evaluate your progress from time to time. I know that HRMs are not good at figuring calories for strength training so you may need to adjust up/down based on experience once you have the data in hand.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Don't think of your dietary intake as a temporary solution, think of it in terms of altering your lifestyle to a more active healthy living. "toning" is obsolete, just be more active... play sports, and get out and do things... and if you can't... or don't like being a participant... then there's the gym... youtube, workout dvd's... fitness classes, yoga, a zillion ways to become healthier and happier in your own skin. this place is a great place to start... and there are as many opinions on how to go about making the change as there are people on this site... take it all with a grain of salt... keys to success will be balancing your macros, weighing your food, and preparing it in advance, regular cardio... along with exercises that will help you retain your existing muscle mass. Eating every 3 hours during the day and getting a good nights sleep. break up your routine's into 12 week cycles... and above all take it easy on yourself Good habits take time to create... it took me about 3 years to develop my gym "habit" but now it is simply part of my week... and don't get me started on my eating habits... WE are all works in progress until we give up or they kick dirt over us... Enjoy your life
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I started in exactly the same spot as you. Same age, same height, and the same weight... maybe even plus 3 pounds. I'm down to 148 now. Feel free to add me/message me! :) Good luck!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Find something that works for you that you can do for the rest of your life- Otherwise, you'll hit your goal, go right back to your old habits and end up where you are now. Sustainability is key!

And from now until you get to your goal... just keep going going going!
  • jlsully7
    jlsully7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words, inspiration and information. Appreciate it everyone!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    eat at a very moderate deficit and get into a solid, progressive lifting routine. cardio a few times a week for some extra calorie burn and overall health.