Which came first? Walking or Running?

Options
2»

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Do whatever you want but be aware that statistically 70% of runners are injured annually. Walking is much easier on your limbs.

Calling BS on these stats (there are lies, damn lies & statistics.....), the rate is much lower according to the NIH and between 50% and 75% of those injuries are from overuse (too much, too soon too fast) and running is not hard on your joints / limbs........

OP the correct answer depends on your current fitness level and your goals. If your current fitness level precludes running then walk, as your fitness improves start adding short, slow running intervals (one minute or so) and gradually add time to the running and less time walking. Most of your running should be at a conversational pace and don't try to build distance too quickly.....it's a marathon, not a sprint. Most importantly, have fun......you're doing this for you.

I am in with what this says..

I started couch to walking, walking to brisk walking, brisk walking to light jogging and light jogging to running 3-4 miles a day seasonally out doors and indoors in the winter.... I mix up training as I also strength train which I think helps immensely for a runner.

You will have to assess your own body, your own fitness and read what you see .. well take everything with a grain of salt. Safety is 100% the most important thing, so you did the right thing by asking the question...

You do it as slow as you need to and listen to your entire body, it will tell you something if it needs to say something about what you are doing to it...
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

"Like I said, I am a runner, have been for over 40 years."

Over those 40 years, how many time have you been injured?
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    "Like I said, I am a runner, have been for over 40 years."

Over those 40 years, how many time have you been injured?

Many, I have no idea the number.
  • vmsolko
    vmsolko Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    c25k all the way!

I used to hate running, but when I broke my hand last spring I needed a new goal since weights and many of my weight/cardio videos were out for those 6 weeks. I used the app and just like that, I did a 5k and now actually LIKE to run. :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i say go for a run. just go, no app or anything. run for a bit, stop and walk, start running again, etc. don't over think it, and before you know it you'll be running for 20 minutes straight.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    The most oft quoted source is the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation although I haven't seen the study. Apparently you must be a member. Lots of articles refer to this statistic and from this source.

So a statistic is all very well, but to me I'm questioning what does that statistic tell me, and what is the data based on?

You have later articulated the definition of injury involves missing training. That threshold is very low as some people might miss training because of what's essentially DOMS, rather than an injury. I'd also ask the question of what caused the injury?

So if we categorise running injuries we may consider those that are a result of an accident whilst running; sprains, cuts and bruises, twisted ankles and potentially even breaks. Now what proportion of the reported injuries come from that category? I'm a trail runner, that makes my risk of those somewhat higher. The worst was falling and banging my head, which led to concussion.

We might see those that are essentially overuse, so entirely within the runners control; Illotibial Band Syndrome, Achilles tendonitis, shin splints. All preventable by managing training load and not increasing mileage too quickly.

Perhaps equipment related? Shoes that are inappropriate for the runner, or worn out. Not much that can be done around that other than be aware of the pains and niggles that might indicate a need to replace.

We might see those that relate to running form,or trying to modify running form based on some half baked advice on a forum. Again, being aware of the pains and niggles is the answer.

With the latter two categories then new runners are most at risk. They don't know when a niggle is just adaptation to running or an indicator of a need to back off, or replace shoes. Of course the niggle might in itself be the reason they don't train. So not injured, per se, merely cautious.

Then of course there is the other dimension. No other sport is risk free.

Cycling can contribute to ITBS, swimmers end up with rotator cuff injuries, raquet sports can lead to RSI injuries, as can lifting, rowing or sailing can contribute to early onset arthritis.

Starkly quoting an out of context statistic isn't particularly beneficial to the originator.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    When I run I get running injuries. When I do taekwondo I get taekwondo injuries. Any high impact sport has a risk of injuries. Walking has a lower risk of injury but it doesn't burn as many calories and doesn't give such a good "after glow" IMHO.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    When I run I get running injuries. When I do taekwondo I get taekwondo injuries. Any high impact sport has a risk of injuries. Walking has a lower risk of injury but it doesn't burn as many calories and doesn't give such a good "after glow" IMHO.

Bingo, the question was walking or running. The fact is that running will have a much higher rate of injury than walking regardless of some posters trying to obfuscate the fact with over analyzing.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Bingo, the question was walking or running. The fact is that running will have a much higher rate of injury than walking regardless of some posters trying to obfuscate the fact with over analyzing.

Or trying to put off someone who aspires to run by excessive dumbing down.