Is diet soda really making me fat?

Options

Replies

• gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    memo1974 wrote: »
    I found this article on health.com. Also, to answer some of the earlier comments: being skinny or thin got nothing to do with being healthy.
    Artificial sweeteners have more intense flavor than real sugar, so over time products like diet soda dull our senses to naturally sweet foods like fruit, says Brooke Alpert, RD, author of The Sugar Detox. Even more troubling, these sugar stand-ins have been shown to have the same effect on your body as sugar. "Artificial sweeteners trigger insulin, which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain," Alpert says.
    http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20739512,00.html

So do people actually think that the body relies on TASTE to decide what to do with a glucose molecule? Do you believe that if you masked the taste of sugar with salt or vinegar or something the body would say "Oh hey, this doesn't taste like sugar so I'm not going to process it as such - 0 calories for you! ". Conversely you think if you flavored a piece of carpet to be super sweet that eating said carpet would make your body produce insulin as if it was real sugar and store carpet calories?

I can get with the mental/psychological bits - rewarding/compensating with other things, people with weight issues to begin with are more likely to be diet drinkers, etc. Or sweet things making you crave other sweet things. But digestion doesn't give a crap what something tastes like (pun!).

IMO there is no scenario where someone who is dieting is better off having a regular coke vs a diet coke if those are your only 2 choices.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    faidwen wrote: »
    Although they don't contain CALORIES, they may contain lots of SALT, which in turn __MAY__ cause you to retain water.

:)

Tap water contains as much sodium as Diet Coke
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    FFS, no, it isn't. It might be doing lots of other "fun" things to you, but it's no making you fat.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Water is a chemical. So there's that.
  • squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist told me that diet soda and regular soda aren't much different to the brain. They are both sweet and that is what the body notices. She said diet sodas will make me crave sweets and suggested that I stop them or at least cut down to one a week as a treat. She suggested if I feel I must have something sweet and caffinated to drink that I get stevia instead of sweet n low and a tea bag instead of coffee. She said tea has beneficial antioxidents more so if it's green tea. She told me to try some of the flavored no calorie fizzy waters a couple of times a week to help reduce the soda craving. She said they bubble like soda so my body will feel like it's getting soda with less of the sodium. She said if I am drinking anything but water that it is going to have calories. She told me if I am drinking juices to do half water half juice. It cuts the calories but tastes just about the same. You also have to remember that diet soda has a lot of sodium. That is going to make you retain a lot of fluid.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist told me that diet soda and regular soda aren't much different to the brain. They are both sweet and that is what the body notices. She said diet sodas will make me crave sweets and suggested that I stop them or at least cut down to one a week as a treat. She suggested if I feel I must have something sweet and caffinated to drink that I get stevia instead of sweet n low and a tea bag instead of coffee. She said tea has beneficial antioxidents more so if it's green tea. She told me to try some of the flavored no calorie fizzy waters a couple of times a week to help reduce the soda craving. She said they bubble like soda so my body will feel like it's getting soda with less of the sodium. She said if I am drinking anything but water that it is going to have calories. She told me if I am drinking juices to do half water half juice. It cuts the calories but tastes just about the same. You also have to remember that diet soda has a lot of sodium. That is going to make you retain a lot of fluid.

Flavoured fizzy water has more artificial sweeteners in it than diet coke
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    355 ml of diet Pepsi has 15 mg of sodium. Where is everyone getting that there's lots of salt in diet drinks?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Although they don't contain CALORIES, they may contain lots of SALT, which in turn __MAY__ cause you to retain water.

Check the nutrition label on a can of diet soda. Diet Coke has 40mg, Diet Pepsi has 35 mg. Hardly "lots of SALT".
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

i would suggest getting information from another nutritionist....
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    gdyment wrote: »
    I found this article on health.com. Also, to answer some of the earlier comments: being skinny or thin got nothing to do with being healthy.
    Artificial sweeteners have more intense flavor than real sugar, so over time products like diet soda dull our senses to naturally sweet foods like fruit, says Brooke Alpert, RD, author of The Sugar Detox. Even more troubling, these sugar stand-ins have been shown to have the same effect on your body as sugar. "Artificial sweeteners trigger insulin, which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain," Alpert says.

So do people actually think that the body relies on TASTE to decide what to do with a glucose molecule? Do you believe that if you masked the taste of sugar with salt or vinegar or something the body would say "Oh hey, this doesn't taste like sugar so I'm not going to process it as such - 0 calories for you! ". Conversely you think if you flavored a piece of carpet to be super sweet that eating said carpet would make your body produce insulin as if it was real sugar and store carpet calories?

I can get with the mental/psychological bits - rewarding/compensating with other things, people with weight issues to begin with are more likely to be diet drinkers, etc. Or sweet things making you crave other sweet things. But digestion doesn't give a crap what something tastes like (pun!).

IMO there is no scenario where someone who is dieting is better off having a regular coke vs a diet coke if those are your only 2 choices.

So true! I bolded the part that I think REALLY happens. I think if are a formerly fat, addicted to binging person like myself, and you ALWAYS had your soda with your chips/chocolate/cheeseburger, drinking a soda might make you crave those chips/chocolate/cheeseburger.

For me personally, I find soda quells my cravings for sweet. Though it can make me want something salty with it, likely because my brain locked those two things together when I used to overeat a lot more. I can still have something salty with my soda, I just make sure it fits within my calories.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda and have never been overweight.

I treat them as a treat! Great solution for me for that 2:30/3pm feeling at work, and gives me a bump of caffeine for the gym.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Why is there so many people who believe this? Where did you get this from?
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Know what else has a lot of chemicals in it? Your blood.

Personally, stuff with artificial sweeteners in it satisfies my cravings and never leaves me wanting more. So it's really a personal preference. I choose Splenda because I like the taste.
  • Spyer116
    Spyer116 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Some diet sodas usually do have a couple calories, depending on what kind (diet coke / coke zero, 7up free, sprite zero, diet club orange, no cal versions of energy drinks such as monster/red bull), but very few.
    Its still something to keep an eye out on. As 15 calories per serving (and most 500ml bottles are "2 servings", can add up each week if you drink 1-2 of those bottles daily.

- No sugar. Using sweeteners your body can't make use of / turn into calories
    - Acidic, still the same damage or discolouration (if cola type drinks) to your teeth
    - Alot of people would find energy drinks (even the no cal ones) or certain diet sodas to reduce appetite.
    - Some people say that because they're sweet tasting, your body would release/produce insulin when you drink them, in "anticipation/expectation" of receiving something sugary / carb-related. Whether there's any scientific data for that, or its just conjecture or opinions, I don't know. If you're someone trying to minimize insulin release in your body, or avoid it for whatever reasons or something, it might make a difference to you. But for most that wouldn't matter anyway.
    - Phenlyalanine is in alot of no-calorie drinks. If you're drinking a massive amount of them, or have some problem with that ingredient, then it may be something to think about.
    - For no/low cal energy drinks (and colas like coke and pepsi, etc), there's caffeine in them. So another thing to be mindful of, if it matters to you.

Personally, I've found no problems in weight loss when drinking 1-3 liters of various no cal drinks on a daily basis.
    And for me anyway, they do reduce my appetite quite a bit, if I wanted to cut calories even more than usual, or go for a longer period without eating - which is always helpful, to not have to deal with the feeling of hunger as much as usual. And that's over many months too, not just a short period.
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    For me, while diet soda is calorie free, was a trigger food that made me want to eat other not-so-good things. So it had to go.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    When I was on my initial weight loss journey years ago, diet soda was my vice. I had no issues with losing weight. I simply ate less than I burned.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to cut down but only because it seems to contribute to my acid reflux problem (I say, as I'm drinking a Diet Dr Pepper right now...).

But maybe 15 years ago, I wanted to lose weight, and I switched from regular Dr Pepper to diet. Took off 10 pounds just like that (don't remember the time period over which this occurred) with barely any effort. Of course I was in my early 20s then and it was like a sudden difference of probably 500 calories per day. It's not so easy now, because I can't switch again since I stuck with the diet soda and didn't go back to regular. But the drop in calories per day made a BIG difference at the time.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Get rid of it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    eating too many calories made you fat.

drinking sodas with no calories did not.
  • amber68rose556
    amber68rose556 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

The article:

When taken at face value, diet soda seems like a health-conscious choice. It saves you the 140-plus calories you'd find in a sugary soft drink while still satisfying your urge for something sweet with artificial sweeteners like aspartame, saccharin, and sucralose. But there's more to this chemical cocktail than meets the eye.

Diet soda is calorie-free, but it won't necessarily help you lose weight. Researchers from the University of Texas found that over the course of about a decade, diet soda drinkers had a 70% greater increase in waist circumference compared with non-drinkers. And get this: participants who slurped down two or more sodas a day experienced a 500% greater increase. The way artificial sweeteners confuse the body may play a part, but another reason might be psychological, says Minnesota-based dietitian Cassie Bjork. When you know you're not consuming any liquid calories, it might be easier to justify that double cheeseburger or extra slice of pizza.

Drinking one diet soda a day was associated with a 36% increased risk of metabolic syndrome and diabetes in a University of Minnesota study. Metabolic syndrome describes a cluster of conditions (including high blood pressure, elevated glucose levels, raised cholesterol, and large waist circumference) that put people at high risk for heart disease, stroke, and diabetes, Bjork explains.

When you drink diet soda, you're not taking in any calories—but you're also not swallowing anything that does your body any good, either. The best no-calorie beverage? Plain old water, says Bjork. "Water is essential for many of our bodily processes, so replacing it with diet soda is a negative thing," she says. If it's the fizziness you crave, try sparkling water.

Excessive soda drinking could leave you looking like a Breaking Bad extra, according to a case study published in the journal General Dentistry. The research compared the mouths of a cocaine-user, a methamphetamine-user, and a habitual diet-soda drinker, and found the same level of tooth erosion in each of them. The culprit here is citric acid, which weakens and destroys tooth enamel over time.

Just one diet soft drink a day could boost your risk of having a vascular event such as stroke, heart attack, or vascular death, according to researchers from the University of Miami and Columbia University. Their study found that diet soda devotees were 43% more likely to have experienced a vascular event than those who drank none. Regular soda drinkers did not appear to have an increased risk of vascular events. Researchers say more studies need to be conducted before definitive conclusions can be made about diet soda's effects on health.

wow that was quite a shock to the system and i would think about cutting out diet drinks completely after reading this! Thankyou!