Late night meals and weightloss.

Options
This has been up for debate in my family for years whether or not eating after certain time of night helps aid in weight loss or not.

Anyone have thoughts on this topic?

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant for weight loss.

Eating late at night causes digestive issues for some people and may disrupt their sleep. Beyond that, you can eat right up till you go to bed if you wish. It's your total calories over the course of the day/week/month that matter.

~Lyssa
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

Eating late at night causes digestive issues for some people and may disrupt their sleep. Beyond that, you can eat right up till you go to bed if you wish. It's your total calories over the course of the day/week/month that matter.

~Lyssa

^^Yep.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Late night snacking neither helps or hinders weight loss... Everyone has an opinion on this. I eaten at midnight many many many times does not matter to my body. I can even wake up in the middle of the night and eat and go right back to sleep..
  • Sweetiepiestef
    Sweetiepiestef Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I eat at or after 9:00 PM dinner every night because I don't get home from Gym til then and I have lost 20lbs so far :) I also go to bed like right after. I am always at a deficit and I am good to go!
  • marija09
    marija09 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    as long as you're not hungry throughout the day, late dinners should be ok!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    macgurlnet wrote: »

~Lyssa

^^Yep.

+2.
  • freespirit427
    freespirit427 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Myth busted! Thank you everyone!
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Completely up to you. I personally don't like eating too close to my sleeping time, but if you feel good doing it there is no reason to stop.
  • alismommy1992
    alismommy1992 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Exactly
    quote="macgurlnet;35183330"]Meal timing is irrelevant for weight loss.

~Lyssa[/quote]

• fittyinthemaking
    fittyinthemaking Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I lost 57lb and ate at what ever time I felt hungry! I think it depends on the individual but its a silly myth in my opinion, people always try to put a downer on things, if you're hungry you eat, don't torture your self.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner usually around 8 pm every night, it hasn't hindered my weight loss at all.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I have lost 65lbs eatig AT LEAST 50% of my calories after 6pm. Usually i have a big dinner then snack until bed.

I rarely eat breakfast, and if i do its around 11am-12pm. Small breakfast, small lunch around 2-3 (snack sizes really .. both those meals are around 300 calories). Which leaves me 900 calories plus exercise calories to eat at dinner and before bed.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Doesn't make a difference.

For me personally I choose not to eat after 8pm as I find that if I do I have trouble sleeping, but that's nothing to do with weight loss.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Only eat between 11am and 2pm for optimal weight loss. Eating anytime outside of that time frame will result in undesirable results. You don't want undesirable results.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I've eaten at 1am and am still losing.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Once I found out meal timing didn't matter 10 pounds figuratively melted off me. I save 300 - 500 calories to eat before bed every night so I don't go to sleep hungry. I love it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If my body requires 2800 calories to maintain my weight and I consume 2300, I'm going to lose weight regardless of meal timing or frequency. I eat dinner every night around 8:30-9:00 and had no problem dumping 40 Lbs pretty effortlessly.
    Only eat between 11am and 2pm for optimal weight loss. Eating anytime outside of that time frame will result in undesirable results. You don't want undesirable results.

manziel-funny-face-johnny-manziel-gifs.gif
  • chaosbutterfly
    chaosbutterfly Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've always eaten dinner at like 10 or 11 pm. Sometimes even at 1 am, depending on when I got home that night.
    As long as I stuck to my allotted calories in total, I haven't had problems losing weight.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    I've always eaten dinner at like 10 or 11 pm. Sometimes even at 1 am, depending on when I got home that night.
    As long as I stuck to my allotted calories in total, I haven't had problems losing weight.

*boggles* How/when do you sleep?
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I work late a lot of nights and often don't eat until around 9. Then I go to bed shortly after, never seems to be a problem for me. My boyfriend totally buys into the myth but he doesn't seem to comprehend that he is overeating to begin with, it's not just the late night snack making him gain weight.