TACOS AND PIZZA

Options
healthymissfit
healthymissfit Posts: 648 Member
Well the subject line says it all! I'm dying for pizza and tacos. I'd like to try some healthy variations, anyone got some tried and true recipes?!

Replies

• jsuh1993
    jsuh1993 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Maybe vegetarian versions? They still pack carbs, but honestly, less cheese, etc gets you going..
  • Nell8i8
    Nell8i8 Posts: 61 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I recently tried this Cauliflower Pizza Crust! Was great alternative! Only 272 for half a pizza. :D
    http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Low-Carb-Cauliflower-Crust-Pizza-Recipe-30739512
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    My tacos, with lean mince, cheese, lettuce, salsa, and hard shells are only 409 calories for 2.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My tacos are about 300 calories for two with lean ground meat, light sour cream, 2% cheese, and all the fixins on corn tortillas (just dry fry first so they don't fall apart).

For pizza I'm lazy so I like to use low calorie pita (or tortillas or flatbread - doesn't taste as much like a traditional crust as pizza) broil until crispy, flip over and add sauce, part skim mozz and toppings then stick back under the broiler until melted. I keep pita in my freezer at all times and my homemade marinara in jars - usually cook 3 jars at a time.
  • wfarrens
    wfarrens Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Tacos have played a significant role in my weight loss! One of my go-to meals to feel full and happy without too many calories. A soft corn tortilla, some grilled chicken, and cilantro/onions/cabbage does not add up to much calorie-wise, but feels like a real meal. Most salsas are very low-cal too, so load up if it's feeling bland. Although salsas tend to be high in salt, so be careful if sodium is an issue for you.

Pizza is a little trickier. The thin-crust frozen CPK pizzas are pretty satisfying without being excessively calorie-dense (about 300 for 1/3 of a pizza). Pair a slice with a hearty, fiber-filled salad, and you will win.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Buy one or two slices of pizza somewhere. If you want it that much, it's not that hard to fit a couple slices.

For tacos, I don't see the problem, honestly, they are usually pretty low calorie.
  • healthymissfit
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Buy one or two slices of pizza somewhere. If you want it that much, it's not that hard to fit a couple slices.

For tacos, I don't see the problem, honestly, they are usually pretty low calorie.

You sound rather rude to be honest. I didn't ask what I could do to fit it into my calorie goal.... Just because you don't see a problem doesn't mean there isn't one! I was asking for HEALTHIER versions of both foods, regardless of how healthy or unhealthy they may currently be.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

You sound rather rude to be honest. I didn't ask what I could do to fit it into my calorie goal.... Just because you don't see a problem doesn't mean there isn't one! I was asking for HEALTHIER versions of both foods, regardless of how healthy or unhealthy they may currently be.

There is no such thing as a 'healthier' pizza. You can use a tortilla or flatbread or English muffins but it never helped me getting over my pizza cravings (although some pitas can be pretty close). Then low fat mozzarella and veggies as toppings. But again... a thin pizza dough will still be much more satisfying.

For tacos, again, short of using lettuce instead of shells (but then it's not a taco), and not using cheese or sour cream, I honestly don't see what's unhealthy about it...

So yeah, sorry if I appear rude, just trying to say that if you really crave the real thing, most likely a 'healthier' version will just not help that craving (except tacos as there's already nothing unhealthy about them).
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Actually, you seem pretty rude. You started a thread saying you were dying for pizza and tacos, and people responded saying you could have them. There was nothing hostile about that response, sure it didn't have a smiley face at the end but there's no rule about that. "Healthy" is a subjective term. In my view, there's nothing unhealthy about a taco, or even pizza if it fits in your goals.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who went straight to taco pizza?

Last time I made pizza I used hummus instead of tomato sauce, used a very thin crust, turkey Italian sausage, lots of veggies, and was a little light handed with the cheese.

Tacos I'll do shredded chicken, greek yogurt instead of sour cream, veggies and some salsa. Not too bad.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Both Pizza and Tacos can be healthy...though the more you get cheap processed versions the worse they are...

When we have Tacos:
    1: Soft corn tortilla, refried beans, mashed sweet potato, tomato, salsa, cheddar, lettuce and cilantro, lime and 3% sour cream...and a hot sauce. Not low low on calories, but pretty much a complete meal. Sometimes I'll add roast corn or other toppings. Normally eat 2 or 3 (between 500 and 700 calories)
    2: Use grilled shrimp or fish

When we make pizza:
    1: tomato sauce, garlic, feta or goat cheese, spinach, olives and a bit of Mozzarella. Not that bad at all if eaten in moderation. Of course we will always have a salad to go with it.
  • healthymissfit
    Options
    lol @ bitter people in these boards, i forgot how rude some people on here get! thank you so much to those of you who responded to the actual question hahaha i'm gonna have to give a few of these a try!
  • marydinn56
    marydinn56 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fish tacos are great, and lots of online recipes out there
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I didn't read the other replies so these might have been said.

I mostly eat either shredded chicken breast tacos or baked fish tacos. Season the meat with a sprinkle of cumin and chili powder, salt pepper to taste. Bake until done. Corn tortillas/shells are actually low in calories and lower if you bake them up yourself to make a taco shell. I put the meat in with some salsa and maybe avacado then some plain yogurt to top. I like spicy so I also put some hot sauce in it. Top with shredded lettuce.

I make my own fresh salsa by dicing a roma tomato or two, a little bit of onion, serrano or jalapeño pepper and some salt, good dash of cumin and chili powder and mix then let sit while everything is cooking. It's soooooooo good when fresh. If you like cilantro chop and add some. Store bought salsa works fine but I like mine better lol

The calories depend on your ingredients and how many you decide to eat. They are much more filling and can be lower calorie than anything fast food type. They also taste a lot better.
  • RedBullLiz
    RedBullLiz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    There's a place called Z-Pizza that is pretty much thin crust and under 500-600 calories. Of course, I prefer thick crust but this one, you can eat the whole pizza!
  • flyingfur74
    flyingfur74 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just had a personal whole wheat pita pizza (54g) 130 cal,
    Triple cheddar cheese (1/4C) 120 cal,
    Unico pizza sauce (2tbsp) 15 cal
    Pepperoni (27g) 70 cal
    Onions (10g), peppers (10g) and mushrooms (5g)

All for 350 calories. Too bad I didn't see this thread. I would have taken a picture of it and posted it for you.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Well you could just fit the pizza and taco into your calorie goal. Instead of having both in one night , you could have pizza tonight and make tacos tomorrow.
    Tacos can be made at home for a small calorie count . just use lots of veggies .

Oppps! Just saw that the op thinks its rude to mention eating the foods within calories. #sorrynotsorry
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    The only thing I substitute in my tacos is beef for ground turkey. They are just as (if not more!) delicious as the beef tacos. You could also do fish or shrimp tacos for even less calories! Oh and I typically use light sour cream - one of the few "light" things I don't mind.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

there is nothing unhealthy about tacos they are meat, lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese…and pizza is just fat, carbs, and protein …

I think you need to adjust your mind set about foods..

what maters is overall diet not individual foods that are supposedly bad or unhealthy ...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    lol @ bitter people in these boards, i forgot how rude some people on here get! thank you so much to those of you who responded to the actual question hahaha i'm gonna have to give a few of these a try!

thats ironic, given your previous response to someone trying to help you ….