Sushi love!

Options

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I LOVE nigiri. I normally get a plate that has a salmon roll and salmon nigiri. I order the miso soup because the ginger dressing is pretty high in fat and calories.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Here's what I've been doing lately (got the idea from a friend) - order some sashimi of whatever they tell you is the freshest that day, and then ask the chef to make you a couple of rolls of his own choosing - just tell him, no dairy and no tempurah, and ask for brown rice if they have it.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I'm not big on the rolls...definitely LOVE nigiri (salmon, tuna, shrimp, eel). Nice protein with a little carb. :)

When I do a roll, I avoid any fried or saucy ones. Just stick with the veggie ones.
  • HungryMom
    HungryMom Posts: 280
    Options
    I <3 Sashimi - try the salmon first it's a bit sweeter than most of the others.

If you're currently the "California Roll" type of sushi eater (which, I'm pretty sure most of us start out as), I can tell you that my progression went like this:

CA Roll
    Spicy tuna
    Unagi
    Rainbow Roll
    Nigiri (hamachi, salmon, tuna, shrimp)
    Sashimi

^ Exactly the same for me. Sounds so good right now.
  • dwardkaiser
    Options
    There is a place that we go to and there is a roll called Kanisu- The wrap is made out of Cumcumber instead of rice. Its really tasty! They will make most any version of a roll this way to if you ask.

Good Luck! When starting this change of life,- I was sad to say that I wouldnt be going on weekly outings with the girls for sushi. Now I will treat myself, once a month or so.
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I LOVE sushi too! As a matter of fact, I had too much today. I eat it once a month. So those two rolls dont seem SO BAD..right?? :wink:
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Oh I love sushi!! I am in agreement with the others though Veggie Roll, California Roll, Sashimi are all suppose to be really good low cal choices, plus you can always get brown rice and use low sodium soy sauce. My fave is the Texas Roll which has a jalapeno in it but it also has cream cheese so not low cal...
  • rjordan1985
    rjordan1985 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice. I also found that hand rolls are alot less in calories and just as filling. I ate 3 today for lunch...eeeeekkk kinda bad!

Spicy scallops hand roll was only 117 cals
    Shrimp Tempura hand roll 302 cals --> should have skipped this one
    California hand roll 177 cals
    Miso soup 66 cals

Completely satisfied my sushi crave & wasn't that bad. Now I know what kind of hand rolls to get!

& I wil definitely be trying the sashimi soon!
  • tbrown1025
    tbrown1025 Posts: 165
    Options
    Also, I've had some sushi rolls that come wrapped in paper (rice paper or tapioca paper) instead of rice. I usually get these with veggies. I don't much eat the hand rolls with cream cheese anymore.
  • sasilver1
    sasilver1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I buy the rainbow sushi rolls from publix and eat half for lunch and the rest for dinner using the 1 packet of soy sauce it comes with.
  • nrcorporan3
    Options
    Have you tried the ones from WholeFoods? They are by Genji. They have a website that will tell you what items are under 500 calories for the whole pack :) some are the Brown rice rolls, Wheat free Shrimp summer rolls, and the Shrimp Miso soup which is so tasty, look it up they have a great variety that will satisfy your sushi cravings.

8378453.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • JHR323
    JHR323 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I too LOVE sushi! I, like you, love the fattier rolls = specialty rolls. I love the blend of flavors that they have. Just like a good meal in a small bite size! However, not good for our waitlines. So, I lean towards ordering the majority of my meal as either maki rolls or nigiri. Once in awhile I'll have sashimi too which I enjoy. My favorite roll that falls into the "better for you" category is negihama which is yellowtail and scallions. Delish! Hope this helps :)
  • cranmuffin
    cranmuffin Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love sushi! I eat sushi atleast once a week. There are quite a few rolls that don't contain cream cheese or fried fish. I typically go for rolls with salmon. Rainbow Roll is a good one. I usually ask for no sauces and eat them plain. I find that I am able to eat a whole roll and be full without being over-full.
  • JBergman13
    JBergman13 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I LOVE SUSHI! So much- I would eat it everyday if I could!

Salmon avocado roll is not horrible for you! I always log it and stay within my calories.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I usually get spicy tuna and it doesn’t have that many calories
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I even loved Sushi when this thread was created.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    7 year old thread. How do people even find these?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    God damnit
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I have a sushi place near my office so I get sushi once a week. If I get rolls I usually do - Salmon Roll, Tuna Roll, Avocado Roll, Shrimp/Cucumber Roll. You want to avoid anything "tempura".

Another option is to do sushi/nigiri (meat over rice) or sashimi (just meat, no rice).
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I always go for chirashi so I can pick and choose how much rice I eat.