What's your favorite way to eat canned tuna?

Options

Replies

• chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Tuna and courgette fritters are the best! A can of tuna, 1 courgette, 50g self raising flour and an egg...mix it up, fry it for a few minutes on each side. This makes 4 snack portions at around 130 cals per portion.

You can freeze them and take as a snack to work, serve a few as a meal. I have mine with chilli sauce :)
  • misslisa1154
    misslisa1154 Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Grab some really low fat salad dressing - french is often low - some diced raw peppers and red onion for crunch and whack it on a cracker bread. It's so fast and it's really fresh tasting. I like it in the summer when I need a fast fix.
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My favourite hot tuna meal is a mixture of buckwheat and quinoa, a can of tuna, edamame beans, olives, and fried onion. Delicious, and I didn't think I liked hot canned tuna.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I smash up one whole avocado with a little lemon or lime juice then mix in one pouch of tuna. I get two lunches out of this recipe. I eat it on a whole grain English muffin. It's quick, easy and incredibly tasty.
  • RoseNoel01
    RoseNoel01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    Ever since I read the suggestion of tuna and cottage cheese, I've been trying to convince myself to try it. But it just sounded so gross. Finally got up the courage tonight and mixed a Starkist sweet and spicy packet with some cottage cheese. Oh my word! I still can't believe how delicious it was! I don't think I could do plain canned tuna with cottage cheese, but I'll definitely be doing it again with the flavored packets. Such a delicious, low-cal way to get a good amount of protein.

I have a brand-new container of cottage cheese in the refrigerator and way too many cans of tuna in the pantry. Looks like this is getting a try-out for lunch.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    RoseNoel01 wrote: »
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    Ever since I read the suggestion of tuna and cottage cheese, I've been trying to convince myself to try it. But it just sounded so gross. Finally got up the courage tonight and mixed a Starkist sweet and spicy packet with some cottage cheese. Oh my word! I still can't believe how delicious it was! I don't think I could do plain canned tuna with cottage cheese, but I'll definitely be doing it again with the flavored packets. Such a delicious, low-cal way to get a good amount of protein.

I have a brand-new container of cottage cheese in the refrigerator and way too many cans of tuna in the pantry. Looks like this is getting a try-out for lunch.

If you're using canned tuna, I would recommend draining it very thoroughly. The packet tuna is pretty dry (almost like jerky in a way). I don't think I would enjoy it as much if it were watery.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Tuna cakes (like cheap crab cakes). Tuna Patties or you can make them exactly like crab cakes mixed with breadcrumbs or cooked potato. I like to top with some kind of mayo based sauce with a little heat.

I <3 this recipe. Thanks for posting.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    I usually add it to mac N cheese with broccoli

I need ideas too
  • ahawkx
    ahawkx Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Today I ate my tuna in cottage cheese with salt/pepper haha doesn't that sound gross? Oh the things I want when I'm pregnant.
    Seriously though it wasn't that bad. The only weird part was that I can't eat cold tuna so I heated it up, but I also can't eat warm cottage cheese.. it was kind of a conundrum but oh well I combined them even at different temps and it worked for me.
  • Willkill4pudding
    Willkill4pudding Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just like to put it on top of salad!
  • courtneylykins5
    courtneylykins5 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I add a little salsa and a little cheese and make a quesadilla.

I also enjoy it mixed into stuffing (or dressing if you prefer)
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    My husband makes tuna melts that are a little different (to me anyway, as I grew up on tuna salad made with tuna, chopped boiled egg, lots of mayo and mustard)...the way he makes it is quite "dry" with just a TINY bit of mayo (less than 1 tsp to the entire can of tuna), Worchestershire sauce, and a lot of chopped onion. In a grill or Panini press with plain wheat bread & even the lightest sprinkling of mozzarella cheese, it forms this hot & yummy pocket sandwich that to me is seriously better than most restaurant sandwiches....yum!

I never would have thought to put Worchestershire sauce with tuna, but now that you've said it, it's all I want in life!
  • SerenaOnDiet
    SerenaOnDiet Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fresh tuna with cottage cheese and boiled egg mixed together
  • banannerbelle
    banannerbelle Posts: 17 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Tuna with pasta or spaghetti squash (my preference), broccoli, other veg if you want, and a little bit of alfredo sauce. Mmmm.
    My mom used to make tuna noodle casserole all the time: noodles, mixed frozen vegetables, cream of mushroom soup, tuna, salt and pepper. She'd just stir it all up in a pot and serve, but you can top it with cheese and bake it for a bit too.
  • Hamolini
    Hamolini Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i can't stand tuna, but i make tuna patties for my husband. mix 1 can tuna with 1 egg, and enough bread crumbs to hold a patty together. add whatever spices you want. form into patties and pan fry.

Yes this is the best. We also mix in half a zucchini finely grated and water squeezed out with all of the above plus tsp onion powder & garlic salt. The best!
  • stacynoell
    stacynoell Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    on whole wheat crackers or on a salad
  • heis4u2004
    heis4u2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If I am not using protien powder, tuna seems to be the only way to get protein without getting added fat or carbs since I am not eating it with anything else. Quite boring, but a can has about 20 grams of protien. Added something to it without adding too much extra fat or carbs would be great. I did try it with cottage cheese and not the best thing to eat but it will do.
    Any ideas to meet the protein goal is great.
  • anemtchick
    anemtchick Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I mix salsa in mine and eat it with Quinoa and chia seed chips!
  • jess393
    jess393 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I just got a killer deal on a case of canned tuna for about .20 per can, so I needed recipes, too! I came across a buzzfeed article with 23 different recipes. Not all of them are healthy, but some little changes could do it!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyrne/delicious-ways-to-eat-canned-tuna#.lvbOEq0933
  • AliceA2013
    AliceA2013 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Careful with all that tuna! I love it in Niçoise salad but beware frequent intake re mercury levels - check out the Environmental Protection Agency's take on this at http://www.epa.gov/choose-fish-and-shellfish-wisely/should-i-be-concerned-about-eating-fish-and-shellfish