I think I missed the Clean Eating memo...

Options
I watched a few various healthy-eating/fit-lifestyle videos recently, presented by fitness/nutrition experts, and was genuinely surprised that my own healthy options are a no-go for these people.

The advice on weight loss was stuff like 'steer clear of spaghetti bolognese, because it piles on the weight. Swap it for kale soup, it's just as filling and oh-so-healthy'. That threw me, because spaghetti bolognese is one of my 'healthy' options. Spag bol means I didn't get a pizza out the freezer, or eat at the pub. It means I chopped up onion, garlic, dry-fried some lean mince, added tomatoes and seasoning, cooked it, and had it with some pasta (while secretly wishing dinner was a cheeseburger instead). And I was honestly shocked that it's considered by some to be bad news.

Similarly, breakfast cereal. And not Frosties or Coco Pops, but Special K or Shreddies and the news is that it's full of sugar, and other crap, and generally awful for you. And breakfast should really be a smoothie or egg whites or something (I stopped paying attention). But for me, tea and toast is what I normally would have, if I want a treat it's a bacon roll, and if I'm on a regime it's Shreddies.

Anyway, I found it half disheartening and half daft that my idea of eating well - being cereal for breakfast, a chicken sandwich for lunch, and something homemade and not crazy-fattening for dinner, with no snacking and only drinking at weekends - turns out to be a nutritionist's idea of the 'before' menu.

For my part, there is no way I could ever get by on vitamin shakes and cruciferous veg. If that's how we're doing it now, I'd rather just stay overweight. But I got the impression that pizzas/red wine/chocolate bars and all the stuff that got me overweight in the first place might equally blow the minds of folk who think Cornflakes is the problem.

Replies

• QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    What you eat doesn't really matter. You only need to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight. You just do you and forget what someone else thinks taste good/is healthy. The diet industry is full of conflicting information.

I eat all things considered healthy by the media, not because I have to but because I enjoy the taste of those foods. My friends try to copy me to lose weight but they abandon their diet two weeks in because they don't like the taste of my food.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    If you stick around you'll see alot of fads come and go. The diet industry has to make money. So, eat what you like, stay within your daily calorie goal, and weigh and measure everything you eat. You'll get some new ideas on MFP. Try them sometimes and see what works. Best.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Don't worry, the memo want issued by anyone official. Many people find that it's easier to control calories when they cook their own foods and fill the majority of their diet with whole foods. Others don't, and they can still make it work.

The key is eating food that keep you satiated, low you to stay within your calorie goal, leave you feeling good, and help you reach your goals.
  • Hammers22
    Hammers22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I hate programmes like that. They're how people start developing eating disorders because they're told what they're doing is wrong. Do what works for you. Eat within your calories and work hard at the gym. Don't just eat kale and egg whites, unless that's what you like? Eat a healthy spaghetti bolognese, there's definitely nothing wrong with that.
  • MichelleMyBelle86
    MichelleMyBelle86 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Spag Bol is also one of my healthy meals - I have courgette ribbons instead of pasta on the days I'm not exercising.
    Maybe they mean the jars of sauce are bad, because they are full of preservatives and sugar? I can't see how homemade would be bad though...

With regards to cereals though yeah, I can see how they would be considered as 'bad'.
    Lots of sugar, very low nutritional content. But at the same time, if you're not bothered about that and just want to count calories then it's OK, they're not high cal fat so it's not going to interfere with weight loss.

Losing weight and eating healthy can be 2 very different things - like, you could eat just chocolate for a week but if it's under your daily calorie goal you probably wouldn't gain weight.
    I wouldn't imagine you'd feel too fantastic though!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Kale soup? Sounds dreadful. Eat what you like, not what someone else says you should eat. Keep a calorie deficit. That's it.
  • dietcepheus
    dietcepheus Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    In the UK, anyone can call themselves a nutritionist as it's not a protected title. I wouldn't put too much stake in what these online health "experts" say. They all seem to be heavily influenced by the latest health craze.

Spag bol can be a pretty healthy meal.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    kale is disgusting.

eat what you like. stay in a deficit. lose weight.

easy.
  • auddii
    Options
    kale is disgusting.

eat what you like. stay in a deficit. lose weight.

easy.

I much preferred when spinach was the super food.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    For whatever reason whenever some self appointed expert crows about something being healthy it makes me cringe. Also, anyone seriously suggesting kale soup instead of pasta is missing the point entirely. It's like those people who seriously suggest fruit as an alternative to ice cream as if that'll satisfy the craving someone has for ice cream.
  • novembersuse
    novembersuse Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Aw, thanks everyone! That's all good to hear. I'm definitely of the belief that if you just eat less you'll lose weight. And it's nice to know I'm not alone in that :smile:
  • auddii
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    For whatever reason whenever some self appointed expert crows about something being healthy it makes me cringe. Also, anyone seriously suggesting kale soup instead of pasta is missing the point entirely. It's like those people who seriously suggest fruit as an alternative to ice cream as if that'll satisfy the craving someone has for ice cream.

Truth.
  • MichelleMyBelle86
    MichelleMyBelle86 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Aw, thanks everyone! That's all good to hear. I'm definitely of the belief that if you just eat less you'll lose weight. And it's nice to know I'm not alone in that :smile:

You are definitely not alone! Imagine how boring life would be if we only ate what the 'nutritionists' told us!

Kale soup...erm, no thanks.
  • muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    What you eat doesn't really matter. You only need to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight
    I'm sorry but I literally cringe when I read stuff like this.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »

Fruit is not an alternative to ice cream (because sugarz)

It's kale. It's always kale.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    What you eat doesn't really matter. You only need to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight

For weight loss it's literally, objectively true.

For optimum body composition and health, macro- and micronutrients, yadda, yadda, you know all of that.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about that kind of nonsense. There's nothing unhealthy about spag bol as you described it. Shows like that assume that people are eating too much or adding lots of oil and cheese and high fat meat, or not eating any veg with it, or who knows. I make a tasty kale soup (it also has white beans and sausage and some other veg) and lots of tasty pasta dinners (sometimes with lean ground beef, sometimes with other meat options) and the vegetable content, and overall macros and so on aren't that different. The idea that one would be healthier than the other seems absurd.

I think what makes sense is to figure out what works for you to feel satisfied, eat appropriate calories, and meet your understanding of healthy/your nutritional goals, and not worry that others are anti pasta or anti carb (trendy these days) or over the top in their hatred of anything from a store (like dried pasta or any cereal) or who knows.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

However, true is true.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Don't worry, the memo want issued by anyone official. Many people find that it's easier to control calories when they cook their own foods and fill the majority of their diet with whole foods. Others don't, and they can still make it work.

The key is eating food that keep you satiated, low you to stay within your calorie goal, leave you feeling good, and help you reach your goals.

Here's the official UK memo:

eatwell%20plate%20377%20sized.jpg

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/eatwell-plate.aspx[/quote]
  • auddii
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »

Here's the official UK memo:

eatwell%20plate%20377%20sized.jpg

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/eatwell-plate.aspx
    [/quote]

Yup, and that memo doesn't state the word "clean" anywhere. Glad we're in agreement.