Learning Balance After Weight Loss (Pics)

Options
Pastela
Pastela Posts: 29 Member
edited January 2016 in Success Stories
Hello MFP!

Every year I like to reflect on my progress with various goals I have set for myself. This year I am reflecting on my maintenance since losing weight a couple of years ago. I went from weighing around 200 lbs to 145 lbs at my lowest. Maintenance has been an interesting challenge throughout my journey, and my goal for this2016 is to continue to challenge myself with my fitness goals and achieve peace with my body.

During the beginning of my weight loss journey I was really excited about losing weight to the point where I didn't want to stop. I kept on wanting to lose more and more even though it made me miserable in the process. At my lowest I was only eating around 1200 calories a day and working out for around a hour.

Me at my heaviest during 2012:

ru7nxrhq2mmg.jpg

Me at my lowest during summer 2014:

b0s9l6lqwdt0.jpg

I was always hungry, felt tired, and was grumpy. I wasn't eating enough and I was simply worn down. My hair was thinning and damaged, my period ceased for six months, and I loss muscle mass that I previous worked on.

Obviously, this was not a sustainable way of living. During 2015 I began balancing my life more by eating more based on hunger cues and my activity level for the day. I took a break from counting calories and began to balance my life more. During this time I regained 15 lbs, but I feel better at 160 compared to 145.

Me during the beginning of January 2016:

12534507_1108119812578155_8782071_n.jpg

This is me at 160. It's a 15 lb difference, but I feel a lot better. I regained muscle mass I loss, my hair became healthier, and my mood has improved. I still exercise and I still eat healthy, but I now do it in a more sustainable way.

Sometimes we get so caught up in the number on the scale. we neglect the damage we do to ourselves in the process. Always work hard to achieve your goals, but don't go overboard into the extreme! Everyone's body is different, and you have to be in tune to what work well for you.

Replies

• venezolana1
    venezolana1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, it did help me
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success!!! I know how you feel. I went from 244 - 146 at my lowest but it did not look good on me. I have regained some and feel better but I haven't been as successful as you with accepting it.

Your post really puts a face to it and shows the reality of how unimportant some numbers really are - Thank you so much!!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Nice work girl! I too feel better where I am than at my lowest :)
  • Pocketfullofstones76
    Options
    Amazing to see a young, determined but wise person like you! Thanks for the insight!
  • shifty0524
    shifty0524 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Nice post, and congratulations!
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Far better to listen to the signs your body is giving you than to chase after some ideal, that oftentimes isn't that great once you reach it.
  • Pastela
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It's been a learning process, but my life has improved a lot!
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    A very insightful post - thanks for sharing! I'm just starting out (again) but I'm going to keep this in mind, because I feel like I'm not going to know my happy weight until I get there.
  • asgentr
    asgentr Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've always felt my best around 160 even though it is still considered overweight for my height.
  • Pastela
    Options
    asgentr wrote: »
    I've always felt my best around 160 even though it is still considered overweight for my height.

Yeah, I felt like at my lowest weight it wasn't that great on my frame. I've never been a petite person, so even though I was at a lower weight I looked more lanky and unhealthy. Health can't be quantified by numbers. I feel like I am way more healthy now then I was then. I just focus on eating well, exercising regularly, and enjoying life. :)
  • magicsd
    magicsd Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Great post, thank you for sharing.
  • mistressmozart
    mistressmozart Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    congrats, you look great! I'm 207 now and my goal is about 165, that's when i feel the best. Thanks for sharing this, you're an inspiration :)
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    You look amazing and fit! 160 looks darn good on you.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Awesome story, and you look fabulous!
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree with you! I went a bit overboard on the weight loss, got to a goal that I had set myself, but ended up looking rather gaunt, and passed out a couple of times as pushing my CICO deficit a bit too far. Im about 15lbs heavier than I was at my lowest, and look better, feel better, am stronger etc etc... so good on you.. a great point in a great post. keep it going.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    That is a great story and you look great in all of your pictures and happiest in the last one! Very full of life!
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You look so happy and beautiful!
    Do you mind if I ask how tall you are, just for reference?

Pastela wrote: »
    Yeah, I felt like at my lowest weight it wasn't that great on my frame. I've never been a petite person, so even though I was at a lower weight I looked more lanky and unhealthy. Health can't be quantified by numbers. I feel like I am way more healthy now then I was then. I just focus on eating well, exercising regularly, and enjoying life. :)

• grapebanana
    grapebanana Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What an inspiring journey. I get disheartened w/ people doing the focus on the externals when, in my own experience (and, as I read, yours too!) it's the feeling good in our skin that matters.

I have noticed that when I'm eating well, I'm feeling well, and don't consider the body anymore than how grateful I am to live in it. I have also noticed that when I'm eating badly (a period of unhealthy choices or not enough) I consider the body with criticism and feel more critical of it than I am grateful for it. That's a sad and awful way to feel.

I MUCH prefer how I feel when my brain isn't malnourished (and only weigh myself out of curiosity or to make sure I'm eating enough).

KUDOS to you. :) Thank you for sharing your story.
  • gkingbr
    gkingbr Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. It's nice to see real stories like this. You are absolutely gorgeous at 160!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!