Not Fair

Options
So it just dawned on me why weight loss its so hard, because its not fair. I am currently working on losing about 60 pounds. So here I am eating lunch, my yummy 6 inch turkey sub and baked chips, while also in my office is a very skinny woman eating delicious smelling fried popeye chicken and biscuits. She is one of those people who can't gain weight. I know my health factor is much better than that junk but I guess I just want to complain life is not fair.

Replies

• HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Yeah she still eats less than you think she does. She is not a Unicorn. I eat huge lunches with litte to no dinner. Weight loss doesn't descriminate. This kind of thinking will just set you back. Don't focus on other people's food just your own.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    And she may be complaining because she can't gain weight. You never know how it is on the other side of the fence. Stay motivated on your journey
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Maybe she doesn't eat much overall or moves a lot
  • 42firm03
    42firm03 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Comparison is the thief of joy.

One thing that I've learned here, that's has helped give me much needed perspective, is that one meal makes you neither fat nor thin and that this applies to others. The one meal that you see that person eat does not tell you that they are free of the rules that the rest of us live under. They probably just eat less when you aren't looking and for them, their cico balances to make them the weight you see them at.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    You know, I have gotten this from some of my friends when we go out on the weekends, about how I can down a double cheeseburger, fries, beer, and a supersized chocolate milkshake and yet maintain my weight.

Here's the secret: I don't do it every day. On every other day, I'm counting calories almost obsessively to keep them in line. I only get to splurge like that once a week. While my friends are eating out almost every day and then complain about their weight.

Don't judge when you don't know what she's doing at home.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    OP, you have no idea what she eats the rest of the day. Maybe that fast food lunch is her main meal. Maybe she runs a couple of miles every morning before work. Maybe she saved up calories for it. Unless you are with someone 24/7, you have no idea what they are eating all day and how many calories they burn.

Regardless, comparing yourself to others will always be a losing battle. If the most unfair thing that ever happens to you is that you can't eat fried chicken for lunch, that's not such a bad deal!

And if you really want some fried chicken, plan out your meals one day soon so you can fit that in. Pre-logging your day is a great way to fit in some treats and learn to eat in a way that you can enjoy your food and maintain a healthy weight for life.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    mis1022 wrote: »
    So it just dawned on me why weight loss its so hard, because its not fair. I am currently working on losing about 60 pounds. So here I am eating lunch, my yummy 6 inch turkey sub and baked chips, while also in my office is a very skinny woman eating delicious smelling fried popeye chicken and biscuits. She is one of those people who can't gain weight. I know my health factor is much better than that junk but I guess I just want to complain life is not fair.

Watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTr1JUvEiUU
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    mis1022 wrote: »

Watch this

oh bummer, it appears BBC WorldWide has blocked it for some areas (I'm in the US)
    Appreciate you posting it though! :smiley: But now I'm curious and want to view it. lol @rabbitjb
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You can work some Popeyes into your calories and enjoy it (though I'd prefer the sub, too). But you also don't know what she eats outside of work or how much exercise she does.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    OP, unless you spend your life with what woman, you don't know what she eats all day. She could be having a 1000 calorie lunch, but no breakfast, and a 400 calorie dinner.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    HutchA12 wrote: »
    Yeah she still eats less than you think she does. She is not a Unicorn. I eat huge lunches with litte to no dinner. Weight loss doesn't descriminate. This kind of thinking will just set you back. Don't focus on other people's food just your own.

Yep. Exactly.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Not the same but does this one work?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KA9AdlhB18o
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    ^^ I never get tired of that video. All science, no moral judgements.
  • iangelab
    iangelab Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    skinny does not equal healthy.... she can suffer the same consequences of eating like that all the time as a heavier person... stroke, heart attack and high blood pressure just to name a few. stay focused on your path, don't compare it to someone else's. do this for you
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I eat two slices of pizza for lunch every day. It is ~800 calories. That doesn't mean I have a super fast metabolism compared to a person who eats a 800 calories 6" sub + chips.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Take into consideration everything that is being said here.

Also, work some fried chicken into your day so that you feel it's fair. You can have that, you know.
    I try to eat mostly "healthy", balanced meals. I feel better when I'm eating well, but sometimes I crave a burger or ice cream or whatever other junk food. So I exercise a little more and plan for it. Or I don't - I just indulge, and get back to my usual stuff the next day. It's okay to indulge sometimes. It's been very difficult for me to realize this, but it's a good thing to realize.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Life isn't fair, get used to it
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if you worry about what other people do, you will spend your life miserable.

you dont know what she eats all day. or what her exercise routine is. or if she has health issues you cant see.
  • Vcorz
    Vcorz Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Skinny doesn't last forever either, especially with bad habits...one woman I work with has gone from size zero to size 16 the past year....things even out.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    People probably think that sort of thing about me pretty regularly. I fit it in when I want it. When I go to work a the bar on Friday night I have almost always saved enough calories to get a huge burger and fries from the guy that runs the grill... worth every hungry min the rest of the day!