Breakfast....

Options
2»

Replies

• periphrastic
    periphrastic Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I do breakfast sandwhiches. I make 5 on Sunday morning, Ziplock, throw them in the freezer and then microwave for 60 seconds once I get to work.

This is such a great idea! Sounds good, too.
  • C_C_M
    C_C_M Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    There are a few recipes on here for overnight oats, but here is my go-to. Quick, easy and my 2-year old LOVES them! I'm about to whip up a batch for the two of us for the morning, now:

In a mason jar (or other container), combine:
    1/2 cup Old-fashioned Oats
    1/2 cup milk (I drink 1% Lactaid)
    2 TBS raisins
    Dash of cinnamon
    Dash of vanilla.

Mix well and refrigerate at least 5 hours. May be eaten cold or heated in the microwave.

The above recipe contains about 275 Calories, 5 grams fiber, 10 gr protein, 4 gr fat.
    I find it sweet enough with no added sugar, but you can always add some maple syrup or brown sugar.

I have also made this recipe by adding a TBS of peanut butter or 2 TBS greek yogurt for a different flavor/added protein.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be prepping and freezing some of these tonight.

Sweet Potato Breakfast Cups (makes 6)

19 oz. package frozen sweet potato tots
    ½ cup lean diced ham
    4 eggs (or 1 cup egg substitute)
    1 Tablespoon milk

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
    2. Line muffin tin with foil liners OR spray muffin tin with nonstick spray.
    3. Allow tots to thaw then place about 5­-6 tots in each in the six cups.
    4. Mash tots with back of spoon or small glass to form cup shape in muffin tin.
    4. Bake for 10 minutes.
    5. Remove cups from oven and add diced ham. Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees.
    6. Mix eggs and milk until evenly combined, add salt and pepper as desired.
    7. Divide egg mixture between muffin cups.
    8. Bake cups for 15 minutes or until eggs are set.
    9. Remove from oven and serve.

Approximate per cup using real eggs: 210 calories, 7g fat, 400mg sodium, 28g carbs, 8g protein

10382200.png
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Mini Sausage and Spinach Frittatas
    Makes 8

1 1/2 cups liquid egg whites
    1/3 cup skim milk
    3 links turkey breakfast sausage, chopped
    2 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
    1/4 cup frozen corn
    1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1/4 tsp black pepper, ground
    cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    Spray 8 cups of a muffin tin with cooking spray.
    Mix egg whites and skim milk, and divide evenly among the 8 cups.
    Toss together the sausage, spinach, corn, cheese, and black pepper until well mixed.
    add equal amounts of the sausage mixture to each cup.
    Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until center is set.
    Cool muffin tin on a wire rack. Run a knife around the edges of the mini frittatas to loosen them, and remove from the tin. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge.

I make these on the weekend and keep them in a container in the fridge. Pop them into the microwave for 30-45 seconds, and you're good to go.

The variety above is the variety I'm eating this week, but what I love about this recipe is that you can use whatever veggies and/or protein you'd like. Substitute egg whites with 6 whole eggs, use a different type of milk (or even water). Add different herbs and spices. Make them your own!

I always use egg whites and skim milk, and usually work out to somewhere around 60-80 calories each depending on what I add to them. I usually eat two at a time, and they tend to keep me full for quite a while.

I am sure these will also freeze well, though I have only ever stored them in the fridge.
  • morganter
    morganter Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Here is something really quick and easy -- saw it on My Diet is Better than Your Diet show--- the show used a whole dozen eggs and made 24 egg muffins-- I use about 4 or 5 eggs -since I am one person -- scramble the eggs- I do add just a touch of skim milk--the recipe did not call for it. Spray the muffin cups- I do six at a time--fill the muffin cups with the egg mixture then fill the muffin cups with spinach and goat cheese and bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees. You can eat one or two and microwave the leftovers for the next few mornings. I do add some salt and pepper to mine.
  • chocoberrycherry
    chocoberrycherry Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I usually have one or two boiled egg, and a smoothie with kale and banana. It's been helping me stay full. I also drink lots of water.
  • meghanfleming855
    meghanfleming855 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I'm excited to try some of these recipes. :)
  • Childfree313
    Childfree313 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    you have GOT to get yourself a Nutribullet, I have the 900 series. Easy clean up!
  • davidrip1
    davidrip1 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    save
  • peterpan1003
    peterpan1003 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to eat in the mornings, but I bring a mason jar filled with about a cup and a half of greek yogurt layered with this berry sauce that I make in advance. I use frozen berries (usually strawberries or blueberries) a tiny bit of water, and a sweetener to taste and cook them on the stove until the berries are soft and have created a syrup with it. It's really good and about 300 calories and 30g protein if you use nonfat yogurt :smile:
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I never liked breakfast and I take a medication that needs to be taken on an empty stomach and no food for at least an hour afterward. I have found hundreds, if not thousands, of recipes for overnight oatmeal, muesli, slow cooker oatmeal, etc., even yogurt/fruit/granola parfaits, that can be made ahead of time, stored in the refrigerator or freezer for a grab and go breakfast once I get to work. I have even found an oatmeal pancake recipe that is quite good. Make ahead on the weekend, grab a pancake or two in a plastic container and a cup of applesauce and off to work. Very easy to warm up in the microwave. Left over quiche works well too.
  • steph2740
    steph2740 Posts: 45 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My favorite breakfast lately has been one slice of wheat toast with mashed avocado I usually season with salt pepper and sometimes a sprinkle of guacamole seasoning and then I cook one egg with a pinch of cheese scrambled in a bowl in the microwave for about 1 minute, u can eat separately but I like to put the egg on the toast its easy to take on the go and it's super yummy and filling!! I prefer savory vs sweet but I have made some overnight oats using rolled oats Greek yogurt almond milk as the base then I usually add in a scoop of protein powder or u can do peanut butter or pb2 with banana or berries or a few chocolate chips, the combinations are endless.