Coconut Oil

Options

Replies

• evayna
    evayna Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    talialinn wrote: »
    Yes, coconut oil can potentially be used as a weight loss aid. The medium chain triglyceride fats (MCTs) in coconut oil are not stored as fat in the body, but are recognized as a fuel source instead. Hello thermogenesis! Here, don't just take my word for it: http://nutritionreview.org/2013/04/medium-chain-triglycerides-mcts/

It's not as simple as the popular phrase:"calories-in-calories-out" if it were, we wouldn't have dieticians and nutritionists designing meal plans for people to help them with diseases, deficiencies, weight loss, weight gain, body recomposition, etc. If we could all eat whatever foods we felt like and stay healthy, as long as we stayed under a certain caloric threshold, then we wouldn't have hypertension, diabetes or osteoporosis, to name a few. 1500 calories of potato chips is NOT equal to 1500 calories of broccoli, no matter what kids try to tell you :wink:

Calories-in-calories-out is old school rhetoric that needs to be put to bed.

Anyway, good luck on your journey and I wish you the best.

Thank you so much for your input! I was starting to feel like I was the only one whose ever heard of MCT's in coconut oil! That is the same thing my husband says, he always asks "why do you count the calories in vegetables? They're healthy, just eat healthy honey!"
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    It tastes good in some things and my dog loves it. It's not magical.

It IS magical! It makes oil popped popcorn tender and very tasty, more so than any other oil.
  • talialinn
    talialinn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Yes, coconut oil can potentially be used as a weight loss aid. The medium chain triglyceride fats (MCTs) in coconut oil are not stored as fat in the body, but are recognized as a fuel source instead. Hello thermogenesis! Here, don't just take my word for it: http://nutritionreview.org/2013/04/medium-chain-triglycerides-mcts/

It's not as simple as the popular phrase:"calories-in-calories-out" if it were, we wouldn't have dieticians and nutritionists designing meal plans for people to help them with diseases, deficiencies, weight loss, weight gain, body recomposition, etc. If we could all eat whatever foods we felt like and stay healthy, as long as we stayed under a certain caloric threshold, then we wouldn't have hypertension, diabetes or osteoporosis, to name a few.

And you are on a calorie counting website, that's funny

Of course! I still want to make sure I don't go over my calorie goal. My point was, and I'm sorry I didn't make myself very clear, is that OF COURSE the amount of calories you consume is important, but equally, if not more important is what those calories consist of. My favorite example is fiber. Our bodies don't have enzymes that break down most fiber, so the potential calories in those grams of fiber are essentially a wash. Anyway, this website is awesome because you can track more than just calories! :smile: I've found it to be the easiest way to track my macros and how often I eat certain foods.

Thanks for the smile, queenliz :smile:
  • talialinn
    Options
    evayna wrote: »

It's not as simple as the popular phrase:"calories-in-calories-out" if it were, we wouldn't have dieticians and nutritionists designing meal plans for people to help them with diseases, deficiencies, weight loss, weight gain, body recomposition, etc. If we could all eat whatever foods we felt like and stay healthy, as long as we stayed under a certain caloric threshold, then we wouldn't have hypertension, diabetes or osteoporosis, to name a few. 1500 calories of potato chips is NOT equal to 1500 calories of broccoli, no matter what kids try to tell you :wink:

Thank you so much for your input! I was starting to feel like I was the only one whose ever heard of MCT's in coconut oil! That is the same thing my husband says, he always asks "why do you count the calories in vegetables? They're healthy, just eat healthy honey!"

No problem! Thanks for posting such an interesting question! My boyfriend does the same thing too. Right now I'm trying out a low-sugar, high-fat, medium-carbs type macro plan and he's like, "babe, there aren't sugars in vegetables, why do you have to track those?" Hahahahaha, yes there are sugars in veggies, silly boyfriend. But, I get his point of view. I wish carrots were sugar free; that would make me so happy.
  • talialinn
    Options
    I'm sure you thought of this already, but what I would suggest is that you continue your coconut oil coffee and just replace all or most of your cooking oils with coconut oil. This way, you don't feel like you're adding "extra" fats to your diet, you're just replacing boring old oils and butters with super awesome thermogenic fats! :smiley:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

so you agree that it is a magical weight loss potion then...

OP, I'm glad you finally got to hear what you wanted to hear...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtNOFMRgx9owl824bZiCmBWgc1qNutXLELN5BnM3bvmCbXCs_23w

You will also note that everyone in this thread pretty much described it as a healthy fat...nowhere in this discussion was "eat whatever you want"...so not even sure where that stupid *kitten* is coming from...

Also, only some of the fat in coconut oil is MCT...
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I think I should note that aside from the coconut oil I really do not have a lot of fat in my diet. I stay within my calorie limit with using it. I've been using it for a couple of days now, and I've noticed that I don't hit my usual hunger pains by 12:30! So that is a bonus in and of itself! I'm mainly looking for feedback from people who use this as a regular dietary aid.

You're not listening, IT IS NOT A DIET AID. There are no magic diet aids. It is a healthy oil that tastes good, that's it, period.

Rude. A dietary aid is a supplement taken to add further nutrition value to ones diet. I consider it as a diet aid for me personally because I don't get enough fat in my diet. Yes, there is no magic potion for weight loss, it takes diet, exercise and determination. Coconut oil contains lauric acid, and the theory is that the Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT's) increase energy expendeture. Some studies have been done that show at most 2-3 lb weight loss with 1 tbs added to a healthy diet in women, although this isn't a significant amount. It is a theory with few medical studies. So excuse me for thinking that some users may have tried this in an effort to lose weight.

So by your definition then, all food is a "diet aid".

• beemerphile1
    Options

You are lumping diet in regards to nutrition and health together with diet in regards to weight loss. For weight loss CICO is all that matters.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

You are lumping diet in regards to nutrition and health together with diet in regards to weight loss. For weight loss CICO is all that matters.

but if you eat coconut oil, that 120 calories just goes to the winds...don't you get it...those calories don't count at all 'cuz MCTs...can't be stored yo....
  • beemerphile1
    Options

Hear of it and read about it and have been using Coconut oil for over 20 years. It still is just a healthy fat that tastes good and it is not a "diet aid" in regards to losing weight.
  • beemerphile1
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

but if you eat coconut oil, that 120 calories just goes to the winds...don't you get it...those calories don't count at all 'cuz MCTs...can't be stored yo....

:)
  • talialinn
    Options
    I'm just giving my personal opinion based on my own research and trainings. Any of you who seem to be personally affected by my opinion in a negative way are more than welcome to continue on with your own beliefs. If what you're doing is working for you, be proud of yourselves and keep it up! Either way, we're all in this journey of health together and I appreciate how impassioned some of you are in regard to this topic! Sharing is learning and I thank you all for your perspectives. Enjoy your weekends!
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

I think you're on to something there. But oily coffee tastes like *kitten*. If only there was something else that couldn't be stored by the body that I could put in my coffee to reap all of these magical thermogenic benefits.

EUREKA! I'VE GOT IT.

FL_Bourbon-Bottles.png

• talialinn
    Options

I think you're on to something there. But oily coffee tastes like *kitten*. If only there was something else that couldn't be stored by the body that I could put in my coffee to reap all of these magical thermogenic benefits.

EUREKA! I'VE GOT IT.

FL_Bourbon-Bottles.png

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!!!!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm just giving my personal opinion based on my own research and trainings. Any of you who seem to be personally affected by my opinion in a negative way are more than welcome to continue on with your own beliefs. If what you're doing is working for you, be proud of yourselves and keep it up! Either way, we're all in this journey of health together and I appreciate how impassioned some of you are in regard to this topic! Sharing is learning and I thank you all for your perspectives. Enjoy your weekends!

You didn't present it as an opinion, hence the umbrage.
  • cwolfman13
    edited January 2016
    Options

EUREKA! I'VE GOT IT.

FL_Bourbon-Bottles.png

I tried once upon a time to promote bourbon as a weight loss aid...people just didn't by in like they do with coconut oil.

You know how these things go though...trendy one day, the devil the next...so I'm still holding out hope...I mean once upon a time coconut oil was one of the greatest of all dietary demons...now super food....
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

EUREKA! I'VE GOT IT.

FL_Bourbon-Bottles.png

I tried once upon a time to promote bourbon as a weight loss aid...people just didn't by in like they do with coconut oil.

They probably forgot to whip it or blend it or whatever...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

EUREKA! I'VE GOT IT.

FL_Bourbon-Bottles.png

You know how these things go though...trendy one day, the devil the next...so I'm still holding out hope...I mean once upon a time coconut oil was one of the greatest of all dietary demons...now super food....

You just didn't have the right marketing team and use the right buzzwords. Get a few newspaper articles written about it, then quote them as your "scientific references" and you'd be good to go.
  • evayna
    evayna Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you thought of this already, but what I would suggest is that you continue your coconut oil coffee and just replace all or most of your cooking oils with coconut oil. This way, you don't feel like you're adding "extra" fats to your diet, you're just replacing boring old oils and butters with super awesome thermogenic fats! :smiley:

I do use it in cooking! I cant eat butter, so I use coconut oil for almost everything! The thing is though is that I hardly ever use oils to cook, I eat a lot of fruit, veg, grains, mostly raw.
  • talialinn
    edited January 2016
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

You didn't present it as an opinion, hence the umbrage.

Hey, you have a good point. I could have been more clear in the first place that it was my personal opinion! I didn't think about that, actually, as I operate under the assumption that if a comment in a forum isn't backed up by a link to a researched, peer reviewed article, then the comment is probably mostly opinion. But, like I said, that's just how I operate.

I should adopt a disclaimer signature for all of my comments in these forums so that people know to do their own research in addition to considering the opinion of the internet.

Thanks for the consideration! :smile: