Options
13»

Replies

• talialinn
    talialinn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    evayna wrote: »
    talialinn wrote: »
    I'm sure you thought of this already, but what I would suggest is that you continue your coconut oil coffee and just replace all or most of your cooking oils with coconut oil. This way, you don't feel like you're adding "extra" fats to your diet, you're just replacing boring old oils and butters with super awesome thermogenic fats! :smiley:

I do use it in cooking! I cant eat butter, so I use coconut oil for almost everything! The thing is though is that I hardly ever use oils to cook, I eat a lot of fruit, veg, grains, mostly raw.

Yeah, I understand that! Keep it up girl! :smile:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I think I should note that aside from the coconut oil I really do not have a lot of fat in my diet. I stay within my calorie limit with using it. I've been using it for a couple of days now, and I've noticed that I don't hit my usual hunger pains by 12:30! So that is a bonus in and of itself! I'm mainly looking for feedback from people who use this as a regular dietary aid.

You're not listening, IT IS NOT A DIET AID. There are no magic diet aids. It is a healthy oil that tastes good, that's it, period.

Rude. A dietary aid is a supplement taken to add further nutrition value to ones diet. I consider it as a diet aid for me personally because I don't get enough fat in my diet. Yes, there is no magic potion for weight loss, it takes diet, exercise and determination. Coconut oil contains lauric acid, and the theory is that the Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT's) increase energy expendeture. Some studies have been done that show at most 2-3 lb weight loss with 1 tbs added to a healthy diet in women, although this isn't a significant amount. It is a theory with few medical studies. So excuse me for thinking that some users may have tried this in an effort to lose weight.

You asked if the benefits out-weighed the cons. The benefits are debatable, but the cons are only that it has calories. If you can fit it into your daily goal, it's not really a con, so whether you believe there are health benefits or not, you enjoy it, so why bother asking?
  • talialinn
    edited January 2016
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I think I should note that aside from the coconut oil I really do not have a lot of fat in my diet. I stay within my calorie limit with using it. I've been using it for a couple of days now, and I've noticed that I don't hit my usual hunger pains by 12:30! So that is a bonus in and of itself! I'm mainly looking for feedback from people who use this as a regular dietary aid.

You're not listening, IT IS NOT A DIET AID. There are no magic diet aids. It is a healthy oil that tastes good, that's it, period.

Rude. A dietary aid is a supplement taken to add further nutrition value to ones diet. I consider it as a diet aid for me personally because I don't get enough fat in my diet. Yes, there is no magic potion for weight loss, it takes diet, exercise and determination. Coconut oil contains lauric acid, and the theory is that the Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT's) increase energy expendeture. Some studies have been done that show at most 2-3 lb weight loss with 1 tbs added to a healthy diet in women, although this isn't a significant amount. It is a theory with few medical studies. So excuse me for thinking that some users may have tried this in an effort to lose weight.

You asked if the benefits out-weighed the cons. The benefits are debatable, but the cons are only that it has calories. If you can fit it into your daily goal, it's not really a con, so whether you believe there are health benefits or not, you enjoy it, so why bother asking?

I dig this. Good call, however I think there's no harm in reaching out to the community to see if anybody else has had any results using coconut oil. She got you to reply by reaching out, and you gave her some good input, so everyone wins! :smile:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    I'm just giving my personal opinion based on my own research and trainings. Any of you who seem to be personally affected by my opinion in a negative way are more than welcome to continue on with your own beliefs. If what you're doing is working for you, be proud of yourselves and keep it up! Either way, we're all in this journey of health together and I appreciate how impassioned some of you are in regard to this topic! Sharing is learning and I thank you all for your perspectives. Enjoy your weekends!

You didn't present it as an opinion, hence the umbrage.

Hey, you have a good point. I could have been more clear in the first place that it was my personal opinion! I didn't think about that, actually, as I operate under the assumption that if a comment in a forum isn't backed up by a link to a researched, peer reviewed article, then the comment is probably mostly opinion. But, like I said, that's just how I operate.

I should adopt a disclaimer signature for all of my comments in these forums so that people know to do their own research in addition to considering the opinion of the internet.

Thanks for the consideration! :smile:

Oh. See, I look for things like the phrases "in my opinion .. " or "I believe ... "

I guess I should have noticed that you posted a link to a non peer-reviewed article. My mistake.
  • talialinn
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm just giving my personal opinion based on my own research and trainings. Any of you who seem to be personally affected by my opinion in a negative way are more than welcome to continue on with your own beliefs. If what you're doing is working for you, be proud of yourselves and keep it up! Either way, we're all in this journey of health together and I appreciate how impassioned some of you are in regard to this topic! Sharing is learning and I thank you all for your perspectives. Enjoy your weekends!

You didn't present it as an opinion, hence the umbrage.

Hey, you have a good point. I could have been more clear in the first place that it was my personal opinion! I didn't think about that, actually, as I operate under the assumption that if a comment in a forum isn't backed up by a link to a researched, peer reviewed article, then the comment is probably mostly opinion. But, like I said, that's just how I operate.

I should adopt a disclaimer signature for all of my comments in these forums so that people know to do their own research in addition to considering the opinion of the internet.

Thanks for the consideration! :smile:

Oh. See, I look for things like the phrases "in my opinion .. " or "I believe ... "

I guess I should have noticed that you posted a link to a non peer-reviewed article. My mistake.

Oh my goodness, I wasn't trying to argue with you. I apologize. I didn't claim my article was peer reviewed. I'm sorry I gave you that impression. I was agreeing with you and just telling you how I operate personally. I wasn't trying to claim the way I operate in forums was the correct way!

Your idea to simply put the phrase, "in my opinion" in my comments would definitely clear some things up. Thank you for the suggestion, I am going to use it!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Everything posted on the forum is an opinion, there is no need to include a disclaimer.

BTW; my brother-in-law's next door neighbor's best friend heard about a guy that lost weight using coconut oil as a diet aid whilst eating 5,400 kcal per day and being sedentary. So it must work as a diet aid because my brother-in-law's next door neighbor's best friend said so! :)B)
  • evayna
    evayna Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    When I joined MFP I thought I was joining a calorie counting site, a place where like minded people could join and motivate each other to a healthy lifestyle. Instead I'm realizing the forums are for trolls and dating. How nice.
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Everything posted on the forum is an opinion, there is no need to include a disclaimer.

Oh, how I dearly wish this was the case! Some people just need disclaimers, though, or they twist your words around and hurl them, and more, back at you in anger for being "sarcastic" or something, especially if they, used to negativity from others, actively look for it whenever anyone says anything different to their opinion or even neutral. :( (bad recent, unexpected, experience regarding my stating of my opinion but allowing for differing ones being thought of as condescending)

I use coconut oil as a saturated fat to replace butter in my cooking and the very rare occasional (grainless) baking, since I can't have any dairy at all. Sometimes, I use olive oil, though, if I feel the situation calls for it, like in roast vegetables to go with the roast chicken.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    When I joined MFP I thought I was joining a calorie counting site, a place where like minded people could join and motivate each other to a healthy lifestyle. Instead I'm realizing the forums are for trolls and dating. How nice.

Pro tip: you can hide the chit chat section by hovering your mouse over the subforum title until a gear appears. Then select hide.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

That's exactly what it is. And that's exactly why people are telling you that coconut oil/MCTs are not a magic weight loss supplement, and that counting your calories is what matters.

In your initial post, you said:
    So I've heard that consuming coconut oil can help aid in weight loss...

And people have (repeatedly) told you that while there's nothing wrong with including it in your diet, there's nothing about it that specifically "helps aid in weight loss". Any food can help aid in weight loss if it's eaten in a caloric deficit, there's nothing about coconut oil which makes it any different.

Part of "Motivate each other to a healthy lifestyle" is people here who care enough to point out woo, so that people can get on the right track to lose weight in a healthy, sustainable manner. If those people weren't here, this site wouldn't be much more than a bunch of pom-pom wavers who shouted "Yaaaay, go you!!!!" every time somebody said they were going to do a 29-day celery juice detox and take diet pills. I don't consider that motivational or helpful, I consider it shallow and insipid.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

I don't see anyone being mean or trolling. I am not and I certainly am not looking for a date. However, you seem determined to only listen to comments that reinforce your preconceived erroneous idea. We are telling you the truth, Coconut oil is a healthy fat and is a good addition to your foods but it is NOT a diet aid for contributing to weight loss. Can you handle the truth?

People constantly come on here misinformed and believing in the latest fad or snake oil salesman. We are doing you a service by telling you not to believe it. Believing information promoted by people trying to sell a book, a diet, or take your money in some other way will derail your diet.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

That's exactly what it is. And that's exactly why people are telling you that coconut oil/MCTs are not a magic weight loss supplement, and that counting your calories is what matters.

In your initial post, you said:
    So I've heard that consuming coconut oil can help aid in weight loss...

And people have (repeatedly) told you that while there's nothing wrong with including it in your diet, there's nothing about it that specifically "helps aid in weight loss". Any food can help aid in weight loss if it's eaten in a caloric deficit, there's nothing about coconut oil which makes it any different.

Part of "Motivate each other to a healthy lifestyle" is people here who care enough to point out woo, so that people can get on the right track to lose weight in a healthy, sustainable manner. If those people weren't here, this site wouldn't be much more than a bunch of pom-pom wavers who shouted "Yaaaay, go you!!!!" every time somebody said they were going to do a 29-day celery juice detox and take diet pills. I don't consider that motivational or helpful, I consider it shallow and insipid.

Pretty much this...motivating each other doesn't mean blowing smoke up each others *kitten* for the sake of "support."

Also OP, the weight loss and fitness and what not doesn't have to be all serious business...it's a long haul...try to have some friggin' fun.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    coconut oil if it keeps you fuller thus reducing your food intake could be seen as a dietary aid.. But you can't just add a few tbs a day ON TOP of your regular intake and expect to lose weight. Adding something extra usually means you have to take something away to compensate.

BTW I love coconut oil and have it everyday. I was regularly having a BPHC (bullet proof hot chocolate ) every morning, but It was pushing me over my calories more often than not, so now it's an every now and again thing. I do have it for dessert sometimes, but I couldn't afford the calories having it in the morning AND then having dessert as well after dinner.

Sorry, I'm rambling. It's early morning here and I'm tired!!