Vegan: high carb low fat

Options

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Do you wear or own leather? Do you take medicine that comes in gel caps? Are all of your household cleaning products, makeup, medicines, etc certified to be not tested on animals? Do you have leather trim in your car? Do you eat any foods or medicines that contain gelatin or come in gelcaps?

None of those things are Vegan.

Note, I'm not trying to be difficult or poke fun, but there are about 50 of these threads a day where people say that they are or are going Vegan for various reasons and it almost never turns out that they are and are in fact, only considering eating a plant based diet and usually under some misguided notion that it's a better diet for weight loss... technically none of those are Vegan since none of them are centralized or focused on the animal welfare aspect or involve the ethical concerns regarding treatment of animals.

Such as up thread, someone linked a Peta thread. Peta, while claiming to be Vegan and promoting animal welfare, are responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of animals a year, many of those euthanization, many simply death by neglect as they free them from factory farms only to allow them to die in a habitat that they are not suited to survive in.

im sorry if peta is linked to some death , i dint know about that, but at least they doing more than most of the human population who really dont care. they have useful tips for wannabe vegans, what to wear, cruelty free brands, i think thats why i linked it, because theres good stuff in the website thats for sure.... 1 thing us vegans have to deal with is alot of people scruitinize our decision and im not sure the logic behind why.....

If I may...from my own experience, and what I've seen on MFP, people do not scrutinize the vegan diet, per se. What is often disagreeable is the attitude that vaganism somehow makes one superior to someone who eats meat. Such as the suggestion that non-vegans don't care about th planet.
    Options
    Lol whoa that was quite the typo...vaganism :smiley:
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Do you wear or own leather? Do you take medicine that comes in gel caps? Are all of your household cleaning products, makeup, medicines, etc certified to be not tested on animals? Do you have leather trim in your car? Do you eat any foods or medicines that contain gelatin or come in gelcaps?

Note, I'm not trying to be difficult or poke fun, but there are about 50 of these threads a day where people say that they are or are going Vegan for various reasons and it almost never turns out that they are and are in fact, only considering eating a plant based diet and usually under some misguided notion that it's a better diet for weight loss... technically none of those are Vegan since none of them are centralized or focused on the animal welfare aspect or involve the ethical concerns regarding treatment of animals.

Such as up thread, someone linked a Peta thread. Peta, while claiming to be Vegan and promoting animal welfare, are responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of animals a year, many of those euthanization, many simply death by neglect as they free them from factory farms only to allow them to die in a habitat that they are not suited to survive in.

im sorry if peta is linked to some death , i dint know about that, but at least they doing more than most of the human population who really dont care. they have useful tips for wannabe vegans, what to wear, cruelty free brands, i think thats why i linked it, because theres good stuff in the website thats for sure.... 1 thing us vegans have to deal with is alot of people scruitinize our decision and im not sure the logic behind why.....

If I may...from my own experience, and what I've seen on MFP, people do not scrutinize the vegan diet, per se. What is often disagreeable is the attitude that vaganism somehow makes one superior to someone who eats meat. Such as the suggestion that non-vegans don't care about th planet.

You hit the nail on the head with that comment. Sure, lots do hate just because of whatever reason, but more often than not, those reasons are simply a response to overzealous "new Vegans" who put ideology before reality and start bashing others. There were several threads like that yesterday, in fact... following immediately on the heels of a long thread that was entirely civil and discussing Canada's new recognition of Veganism as a recognized religion.

*Edited to correct spelling.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

even if they arent perfect vegans, its no reason to bash them... veganism is amazing thing they try do to help the animals and environment, shouldnt we support them, say great well done keep it up, instead of focus on the bad always?
    im vegan everywhere in my life, i know so many people that are as compassionate as me , we just try sread a good message, not like were jahovas witnesses or anything :)

its all about the good message, thats amazing guys, it saves animals, thousands of litres of water goes to produce your steak, thousands of hectares on land goes to feed just the animals we are over producing to keep up with the human tastebuds, while many are starving because of that,going plant based gives you EVERYTHING you need (someone up there mentiones mixing foods to get the complete protein, is correct, rice and beans does that)
    and is deliciousssss

I don't understand how raising valid points for thought is bashing. Never once did I tell anyone their decision was wrong, I only asked valid pointed questions that in 8 of 10 of these types of threads are overlooked by those claiming to be Vegan. As stated above, the "I'm a new Vegan" thread happens often, almost always by someone who is doing it for dietary reasons alone or someone who heard it would help them lose weight. The other 2 of 10 are almost always people who bring lots of hate for those who are non-Vegan which does more to harm the cause than to help.

I'm not accusing OP of either, and hope that they fit neither of those categories.

That said, Veganism is a belief system bordering on religion and to call oneself Vegan, by definition, puts you in and at the scrutiny of others, especially if you are being vocal about it. Such a time as that is when one needs to have well educated and well thought out responses to any questions that arise, not to defend ones self, but to be the best example of what they claim to be. I would expect the same of someone who came on the forums saying they were Catholic of Jewish.

And while I won't deny that Peta has some valid resources, they have just as many bunk resources that are not validated by independent scientific study. If you'd like to educate yourself, I'd recommend finding some respected sources, of which there are many, with a strong scientific and moral standpoint.

If you didn't read up thread, I stated that I've been Vegan for over a decade now, but more often than not I have talked people out of being Vegan because they do it for the wrong reasons or aren't willing or ready to commit to the lifestyle change. If OP is, I have nothing but respect and applause for them, but many are not, have not educated themselves properly about nutritional needs, etc.. and several have gone on to become Vegan only to end up hospitalized for severe malnutrition of some kind or another because they only used what I would call "Pop Culture resources" such as Peta who often say things like "Nutritional Yeast is a great source of B-12" when in fact nutritional yeast is not a great source of B-12 or even a source at all unless it has been fortified and clearly states so on the label.

One cannot expect to put themselves out in public like that and not expect some scrutiny, but not all scrutiny is hate based either. True support does not often come in the form of unconditional acceptance, but pointed examination that brings faults to light. This does not mean a person is lesser for having faults, in fact, it opens up opportunities for them to firm up their position and their beliefs via experiential knowledge.

This is a long forgotten art that we used to call "Debate"

*edited to correct a phrasing that changed my meaning to something other than intended.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options

This..

I think you nailed it when you "sit back and watch the show" it has escalated quickly.

Not to say that this never happens and I'm not doubting your experience but from my experience it is usually vegans who scrutinize carnivores. In my group of friends more than half are vegan and I couldn't tell you how many arguments/discussion have started when out for a meal. Not due to carnivores making bold statements about vegans not getting enough protein its usually based around the ethics of eating or harming animals..
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    can someone tell me if its against the rules to promote those types of "diets" above? Im not talking about vegan diets either. Im talking about the ones that a few certain youtubers promote. not mentioning no names either. not to mention those types of diets above for some people could be dangerous especially if they have health issues and have to watch their carbs

technically only if they are vlcd, which I don't believe they are by definition, but could easily be. It's entirely based on the quantity of calories as far as the ToS are concerned.

This is correct. Only diets that promote VLCD that are not supervised by a doctor or professional are violations of the TOS. And by my research, this diet is rather high calorie, but limits calories by time (which I don't get because the time you each nutrients doesn't matter, your total calories do).

But also following to learn more from this guy
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    If anyone is thinking of going vegan, or just eating a plant-based diet, my advice would be to check out the Vegan Society website as it has loads of clear concise information on how to do it healthily, along with lots of other info and none of the 'horror' pics some animal rights sites use to get people's attention, though those pics are a way of informing people about animal abuse in the food industry and elsewhere.

At the Vegan Society site there are pages on vitamins and minerals and how to get adequate supplies of these, including the much-mentioned B12, which is very important but actually easily obtained with a supplement. A lot of vegans take a multi-vitamin/mineral simply because they've researched the topic a little and realise almost everyone - whatever diet they follow - could be deficient in one or more vits/minerals and the simplest way to address this is with a supplement. It's likely there aren't many people who have not only worked out their own personal requirements in all vits/mins and devised an eating programme which supplies all of these but also one which they stick to rigidly. So it's possible almost everyone is lacking in something, particularly if they rely heavily on junk food and takeaways.
  • DBMOTIVATOR75
    DBMOTIVATOR75 Posts: 125 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hey margarita, I became Vegetarian after seeing an animal cruelty video, this also allowed me to lose over one stone/16-18 pounds in weight on top of the other 30 pounds id lost.
  • margaritadiamantopulos9
    Options
    Anyone on the vegan journey yet? I've lost almost 30 lbs and I'm loving it. I feel all around better and just feel so good about not harming my self or any other living beings. How do you guys feel

Yes I am vegan I don't consume meat eggs dairy honey or any other forms of animal products
    Bc of how horrible it is what they do to those beings that have the exact fear and hope to live as us humans do
    can someone tell me if its against the rules to promote those types of "diets" above? Im not talking about vegan diets either. Im talking about the ones that a few certain youtubers promote. not mentioning no names either. not to mention those types of diets above for some people could be dangerous especially if they have health issues and have to watch their carbs

even if they arent perfect vegans, its no reason to bash them... veganism is amazing thing they try do to help the animals and environment, shouldnt we support them, say great well done keep it up, instead of focus on the bad always?
    im vegan everywhere in my life, i know so many people that are as compassionate as me , we just try sread a good message, not like were jahovas witnesses or anything :)

its all about the good message, thats amazing guys, it saves animals, thousands of litres of water goes to produce your steak, thousands of hectares on land goes to feed just the animals we are over producing to keep up with the human tastebuds, while many are starving because of that,going plant based gives you EVERYTHING you need (someone up there mentiones mixing foods to get the complete protein, is correct, rice and beans does that)
    and is deliciousssss

Lol when you eat McDonald's everyday and fried food nobody says anything but god forbid you eat fruits and vegetables you're in dangerrrrrrr
    Options
    Hey margarita, I became Vegetarian after seeing an animal cruelty video, this also allowed me to lose over one stone/16-18 pounds in weight on top of the other 30 pounds id lost.

That's so awesome
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    That's awesome and I feel the same way everyone's like so what do you eat and I say the same thing I'm like pizza and pasta and potatoes and there like I could never I would be so "fat" or I need the protein I always try to explain its not about carbs it's about what kind and what you put on them !!

It's not about carbs or what kind or what you put on them, it's about calories, in terms of weight loss.

Protein, however, is a real need for your body. No amount of fat or carbohydrate will ever contain nitrogen, so none of them can ever build even a single amino acid. You absolutely need sufficient protein to stay alive.

Of course, there are vegan sources of protein, but you have to mix your protein sources to get a complete protein (most plants have low levels of at least one amino acid). That requires a little extra planning. The only thing you truly can't naturally get on a vegan diet is vitamin B12, for which you will need supplements.

by the way, b12 is in the soil, so the cow eats the grass and the cow gets b12, buttt these days our soils dont have the b12, so many americans on high meat diet are b12 defecient :) everyone can benefit from a b12 supp, i personally take sublingual drops once or twice a week, because even once in your body, it stays a loong time before we become defecient...

a little off topic but, some meds will rob you of B-12.PPIs(proton pump inhibitors) are notorious for this. so if you are on any meds look at the side effects. now I dont eat a lot of red meat. most days I am meatless,but Im not vegan or vegetarian and have nothing against those that are.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    High carb, low fat Vegan here - since Oct 2014...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've been following a Vegan lifestyle for over a decade. Not sure what you mean by "paleo or not" since there's not really any such thing as paleo Vegan.. that would be next to impossible considering the paleo diet consists mostly of meat and doesn't allow most plants that would be considered the staples of the Vegan diet.

Additionally, I, personally find it hard enough to get essential fats on a Vegan diet, I couldn't imagine trying to eat low fat on a Vegan diet. Not to mention that fat isn't bad for you at all and should be at minimum, .4 grams per pound lb of your lean body mass/day of your diet in order to maintain essential brain, joint, and skin health.

I also do not support Peta as an organization as they tend to do more harm than good than to the "Vegan cause".

Additionally, I also tend to actively discourage people from "going Vegan" if they are not doing for ethical reasons as Vegan is not a diet, it's a lifestyle choice based on a series of ethical concerns regarding animal welfare and sanctity of life and not, as it currently seems, a diet for weight loss or any other concern.

Plant based diets, on the other hand, are not Veganism, by definition, since true and actual Veganism would involve not using any animal products in ANY aspect of your life including diet, fashion, health care products, beauty products, medicine, etc.

You are the type of vegan I admire @BecomingBane . Principled, knowledgeable and understanding the additional focus you must give to your chosen life..because veganism is an ethical life decision not a weight loss programme

This omnivore approves this message
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I've been following a Vegan lifestyle for over a decade. Not sure what you mean by "paleo or not" since there's not really any such thing as paleo Vegan.. that would be next to impossible considering the paleo diet consists mostly of meat and doesn't allow most plants that would be considered the staples of the Vegan diet.

Additionally, I, personally find it hard enough to get essential fats on a Vegan diet, I couldn't imagine trying to eat low fat on a Vegan diet. Not to mention that fat isn't bad for you at all and should be at minimum, .4 grams per pound lb of your lean body mass/day of your diet in order to maintain essential brain, joint, and skin health.

I also do not support Peta as an organization as they tend to do more harm than good than to the "Vegan cause".

Additionally, I also tend to actively discourage people from "going Vegan" if they are not doing for ethical reasons as Vegan is not a diet, it's a lifestyle choice based on a series of ethical concerns regarding animal welfare and sanctity of life and not, as it currently seems, a diet for weight loss or any other concern.

Plant based diets, on the other hand, are not Veganism, by definition, since true and actual Veganism would involve not using any animal products in ANY aspect of your life including diet, fashion, health care products, beauty products, medicine, etc.

You are the type of vegan I admire @BecomingBane . Principled, knowledgeable and understanding the additional focus you must give to your chosen life..because veganism is an ethical life decision not a weight loss programme

+1
  • rawroy
    rawroy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm here to support anyone interested in moving more towards a healthy low fat plant based and vegan lifestyle! The more the merrier because it will benefit our health, the animals and the planet!
    Options
    cloggsy71 wrote: »
    High carb, low fat Vegan here - since Oct 2014...
    That's awesome
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    Plant based vegan veg fruitarian raw vegan retail 4 80 10 10 rawtil4
    All the same love lol

im vegan but im the type of vegan who eats vegan junk food sometimes and does not care about freelee
  • Buckeye_Dave
    Buckeye_Dave Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Yes...absolutely!
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    First of all, get off these threads. These people have nothing else to do than shoot other people down. What I've learned to do is talk about issues on my own page with the friends I have made here, in my status. Feel free to friend me. A couple of my friends here are vegan.
    Options
    First of all, get off these threads. These people have nothing else to do than shoot other people down. What I've learned to do is talk about issues on my own page with the friends I have made here, in my status. Feel free to friend me. A couple of my friends here are vegan.

Well that's an ironic post...