37 and diagnosed with diabetes! Starting a new lifestyle

Options
2»

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You are going to be ok. It takes a little time to learn everything and you will keep learning :)
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    shadowconn wrote: »
    Oh my goodness. I just did a round of Drs appts at my mother's insistence. I am 38. My mom was diagnosed with high blood pressure at 35 and diabetes shortly thereafter. Basically, I am the age when my mom's health started failing. and I am not one to go to a doctor unless I think whatever I have might kill me. So, I hadn't seen a Dr in five years. I was 80 pounds overweight, and my mom threw a fit. So I got on a scale and went - oh crap . . . she wasn't kidding. So lost a few pounds. Went and got a bazillion blood tests and ultrasounds and checkups and yada yada. Last one was Tuesday for a Thyroid biopsy. No cancer. Just Goiter. DOwn 50 pounds. I think I caught everything real early before it started negatively affecting my health.

I consider myself very lucky. what they did find, and I wasn't complaining about these things - was acid reflux. 20 years of stomach pain.... Freaking acid reflux. and I got a better pain management schedule for my headaches and upper back pain. those two things weren't high on my list to get checked. But it's made a world of difference in how I feel every day.

Do take the (proper) acid reflux medicine if dietary changes don't stop it. The acid eating away at things can lead to cancer of the esophagus (and stomach? don't recall). I have bad GERD. It's from the pain killers I've had to take (Rx) for over a decade :( BUT, by treating it it helps prevent the really bad consequences of having it, which a lot of people don't even know about.
  • shadowconn
    shadowconn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness. I just did a round of Drs appts at my mother's insistence. I am 38. My mom was diagnosed with high blood pressure at 35 and diabetes shortly thereafter. Basically, I am the age when my mom's health started failing. and I am not one to go to a doctor unless I think whatever I have might kill me. So, I hadn't seen a Dr in five years. I was 80 pounds overweight, and my mom threw a fit. So I got on a scale and went - oh crap . . . she wasn't kidding. So lost a few pounds. Went and got a bazillion blood tests and ultrasounds and checkups and yada yada. Last one was Tuesday for a Thyroid biopsy. No cancer. Just Goiter. DOwn 50 pounds. I think I caught everything real early before it started negatively affecting my health.

I consider myself very lucky. what they did find, and I wasn't complaining about these things - was acid reflux. 20 years of stomach pain.... Freaking acid reflux. and I got a better pain management schedule for my headaches and upper back pain. those two things weren't high on my list to get checked. But it's made a world of difference in how I feel every day.

Do take the (proper) acid reflux medicine if dietary changes don't stop it. The acid eating away at things can lead to cancer of the esophagus (and stomach? don't recall). I have bad GERD. It's from the pain killers I've had to take (Rx) for over a decade :( BUT, by treating it it helps prevent the really bad consequences of having it, which a lot of people don't even know about.

Yeah, I had no idea, and the symptoms were not what I thought they would be. The first thing someone told me was that if I continue to let it go, I will eventually not be able to swallow. That was enough for me. the ear/nose/throat doc that I saw for the Thyroid just did a basic exam and went . . You're throat is irritated. Do you have acid reflux, and I went . . . little bit. *shrug* He recommended an antacid. So I take that daily now. After about 2 day, all my stomach pain went away. I was like WHATTT??? No way. Acid reflux causes throat burning and I haven't had that since I stopped eating chocolate and cinnomon, but nope . . . That's a symptom of really BAD acid reflux when it flairs up. I was like . . .you gotta be kidding me . . . . But I do't get sore throats at night anymore, and I don't wake up with an upset stomach anymore, and that's been daily for 15-20 years . . . . boggles the mind.
  • crystalv1530
    crystalv1530 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

• crystalv1530
    crystalv1530 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had my thyroid sonogram today I'm awaiting resilults. I hadn't been to the Dr in a while either but I was feeling tired and sick all the time. I was surprised to have so many things going on at once, you are blessed,to have cought you problems early and before diabetes got you! Congrats on your weight loss. 50 pounds is a great accomplishment! That's what I am holding to lose as well. I've just started but down 5 pounds already and hopeful I can get these problems under control.