The real "secret" on how to lose weight

Options
Believe it or not, it's just eating less than you burn.

The advertising of all dieting programs (Advocare, paleo, ketogenic, etc.) want you to believe that without their program, you won't lose, but the truth is all they have you doing is eating less calories than you need.

While there are those that make a preference to continue these diets for life (about 10%), 90% quit them and regain weight. And then after weight regain, they try the SAME diet again to lose because it somehow worked the first time. And that's what the diet industry is betting on. They even chart it.

So take the time to really understand why you're on a program. How much you pay, how long you're going to do it, and whether or not it's something you can continue to do for life because if not, it's likely that you'll be back at the weight you are (and maybe more) a few months after stopping it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Good post. The success rates for all diets into maintenance are staggeringly depressing. Don't feel like you have to do this or cut out that to be successful long term. You have to figure out what works best for you. For many people, that won't be the diet with the cool name and big promises.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    Also: If you do some unusual eating routine to lose weight, you give up the opportunity to learn how to adjust your eating in satisfying ways that keep you at a healthy weight in the long run.

I'm almost tempted to call the fad-y diets a lose-lose(-gain) way of losing: Not sustainable, no learning process, gain the weight back again at the end.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    This is why eating less than I burn isn't a 'diet' - it's a lifestyle. I've completely overhauled my relationship with food and know that when I go into maintenance, I WILL be able to maintain the weight loss.

CICO. It's simple. It's science. :)
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I agree that the secret is CICO. Following a program can be useful for some though. If you have a lot to lose like 100+ some of the advertised diets can be helpful as it gives people a plan to follow and may provide support that's important. Especially if they haven't tried to lose weight before.

If someone doesn't know where to begin, Weight Watchers, Low Carb or even Jenny Craig will give them a guide to follow. When they have some success with it (the famous kickstart), they can transition to their own program using CICO as the tool.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Also: If you do some unusual eating routine to lose weight, you give up the opportunity to learn how to adjust your eating in satisfying ways that keep you at a healthy weight in the long run.

I'm almost tempted to call the fad-y diets a lose-lose(-gain) way of losing: Not sustainable, no learning process, gain the weight back again at the end.

Lots of folks who lose with an approach other than calorie counting lose and maintain. Lots regain. Lots who use (or rely) on calorie counting and (perhaps) the coolest, hippest smart app like this lose and maintain. Lots regain.

Lots of people, regardless of the approach don't take the time to learn how to eat to maintain (and for health).

The "real" secret is creating a deficit and then learning to maintain. There are many ways to approach it and be successful. Losing weight is an effort of some months. Maintenance is the lifetime and the lifestyle.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    susan100df wrote: »
    I agree that the secret is CICO. Following a program can be useful for some though. If you have a lot to lose like 100+ some of the advertised diets can be helpful as it gives people a plan to follow and may provide support that's important. Especially if they haven't tried to lose weight before.

If someone doesn't know where to begin, Weight Watchers, Low Carb or even Jenny Craig will give them a guide to follow. When they have some success with it (the famous kickstart), they can transition to their own program using CICO as the tool.

I have several family members who have done Jenny Craig and all regained their weight almost immediately. It did not teach them to log accurately and make good choices on their own.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited January 2016
    Options

I have several family members who have done Jenny Craig and all regained their weight almost immediately. It did not teach them to log accurately and make good choices on their own.

I didn't log. I have been maintaining for 14 years.
    My sister logged. She regained.
    Then she used JC.
    Then she regained.
    Then she logged again.
    Then she regained.

"Logging" isn't the secret to maintenance. Understanding how to appropriately fuel your body is.
  • 100df
    Options

I know lots of people who have dieted and regained no matter what their method was. This includes MFP and other calorie counters.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    This is why eating less than I burn isn't a 'diet' - it's a lifestyle. I've completely overhauled my relationship with food and know that when I go into maintenance, I WILL be able to maintain the weight loss.

CICO. It's simple. It's science. :)

Of course it's a diet. How could "completely overhauling your relationship with food" not be a diet?

Regardless, your approach is probably the best bet: having a plan, making changes now toward that plan. I'd be willing to bet you WILL succeed.
  • blankiefinder
    Options

I know lots of people who have dieted and regained no matter what their method was. This includes MFP and other calorie counters.

I know several people who have dieted and maintained for years. I know zero people who lost on Jenny Craig and maintained.
  • blankiefinder
    Options

I didn't log. I have been maintaining for 14 years.
    My sister logged. She regained.
    Then she used JC.
    Then she regained.
    Then she logged again.
    Then she regained.

"Logging" isn't the secret to maintenance. Understanding how to appropriately fuel your body is.

Some people need to log at the beginning to learn how to appropriately fuel their body. Some don't. Some need to log forever. Some don't.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited January 2016
    Options

I know several people who have dieted and maintained for years. I know zero people who lost on Jenny Craig and maintained.

I've never thought jenny craig was a good approach. It teaches folks NOTHING. (Even when it's teaching them)
    That said: it's not binary. It's not: use MFP or jenny craig. There are lots of ways to approach it. And logging now isn't the magical key to maintaining then. It can be part of the smart learning process though. Part of it. Logging can teach someone a lot about food.

ETA: Based on your wording I wanted to add that Jenny craig is dieting too. It's just a diet where someone else does all the counting.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

The advertising of all dieting programs (Advocare, paleo, ketogenic, etc.) want you to believe that without their program, you won't lose, but the truth is all they have you doing is eating less calories than you need.

While there are those that make a preference to continue these diets for life (about 10%), 90% quit them and regain weight. And then after weight regain, they try the SAME diet again to lose because it somehow worked the first time. And that's what the diet industry is betting on. They even chart it.

So take the time to really understand why you're on a program. How much you pay, how long you're going to do it, and whether or not it's something you can continue to do for life because if not, it's likely that you'll be back at the weight you are (and maybe more) a few months after stopping it.

I agree with almost all of this, but not all.

90% of all people who lose weight end up gaining it all back, not just those who use a certain way of eating that is different from how they plan on maintaining.

Someone can do an advertised diet and then maintain in a different way and it doesn't make it a guarantee as listed above that they will have regained the weight in a few months time.

It is all about CICO. It's all about eating less than you burn. However, you can use whatever way is best for you to get there. It might be a raw vegan diet. It might be a keto diet. It might be a diet focused on moderation. It all works. It also all faces the same doom that 90% of those successful will not be successful at maintaining.

The issue IMHO (of someone who has been both successful and not successful at maintaining weight loss) and who is currently in maintenance now...is the lack of planning and continued checking in/tweaking of goals in maintenance. There is a vigilance during the weight loss plan that I believe often is not carried over into maintenance.

But yes, it is eat less than you burn. Totally true. The rest....meh.

That's a great word: vigilance. Many, of not most of us will have to exercise continuous vigilance in order to maintain.
  • 100df
    Options

I've never thought jenny craig was a good approach. It teaches folks NOTHING. (Even when it's teaching them)
    That said: it's not binary. It's not: use MFP or jenny craig. There are lots of ways to approach it. And logging now isn't the magical key to maintaining then. It can be part of the smart learning process though. Part of it. Logging can teach someone a lot about food.

That's sort of what meant. Jenny Craig or any diet can be incorporated into logging. I have never done JC as the food didn't taste good to me, but if you have a lot to lose its a legitimate way of achieving the deficit. If you log JC I bet the odds are a little better at maintenance. As I said previously it can be used to get someone going. Probably would be better if they transition long before maintenance starts. If someone hasn't dieted before and has 100+ lbs to lose, an organized program can be helpful. From what I understand most people fail at maintenance no matter how they lose weight. I have read numbers as high as 90% failure rates.
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I do best having a support system in place. Starting out with Weight Watchers back in 2008 was awesome for me. They came to my workplace and there was a group of 35 people attending. I learned to track my food through them.

Jump forward 8 years (in May) and there is still a group of 4 of the originals who meet each week to continue that support. A new member of the group lost 100lbs in the past 13 months and has about 30 to go. She'll maintain because we won't let her do otherwise! ;) Each of the others have maintained their weight loss to within 5 or so pounds. We're calling it a 'win'.

We no longer think WW is the best way to go - counting points is tedious. Once we discovered MFP we never looked back. Our whole group relies on logging to keep them aware of what they're eating.

I have a couple of pounds to lose after a holiday season of not logging (bad idea!). Once I get those pounds off, I will continue to log because I like to make sure I'm getting enough protein, fiber and other nutrients from what I'm eating. It might not be the "secret" to maintaining but it works very well for me.
  • telynau
    telynau Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    ... There is a vigilance during the weight loss plan that I believe often is not carried over into maintenance.

When this point is added to the mindset "I've achieved my goal (weight, etc.)" it compounds. Many times those whose only goal was to lose weight, especially for an event or special occasion, the "diet" is over. They've overlooked the lifetime commitments to maintaining their new weight.
  • 100df
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

I agree with almost all of this, but not all.

90% of all people who lose weight end up gaining it all back, not just those who use a certain way of eating that is different from how they plan on maintaining.

Someone can do an advertised diet and then maintain in a different way and it doesn't make it a guarantee as listed above that they will have regained the weight in a few months time.

It is all about CICO. It's all about eating less than you burn. However, you can use whatever way is best for you to get there. It might be a raw vegan diet. It might be a keto diet. It might be a diet focused on moderation. It all works. It also all faces the same doom that 90% of those successful will not be successful at maintaining.

The issue IMHO (of someone who has been both successful and not successful at maintaining weight loss) and who is currently in maintenance now...is the lack of planning and continued checking in/tweaking of goals in maintenance. There is a vigilance during the weight loss plan that I believe often is not carried over into maintenance.

But yes, it is eat less than you burn. Totally true. The rest....meh.

That's a great word: vigilance. Many, of not most of us will have to exercise continuous vigilance in order to maintain.

Love that word too. The vigilance is more important once the loss is done. While I do think about losing and plan my meals now, I think about maintenance more. Not in terms of "can't wait to get there" but how it's going to go. I don't see a lot of difference. Just a few more calories. Not many more is what I am beating in my head now.
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    Options
    Amen! I love this post, clear cut and to the point.
  • blankiefinder
    Options

ETA: Based on your wording I wanted to add that Jenny craig is dieting too. It's just a diet where someone else does all the counting.

Nowhere did I say that Jenny Craig is not a diet. I also didn't say that everyone that I know who has dieted has maintained. What I did say: Of the people who I know that have successfully maintained, none of them lost their weight doing Jenny Craig.