Phentermine

Options

Replies

• cindyb0121
    cindyb0121 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have been on contrave for 186 days. I take 2 a day, I have lost 45 lbs on it. It does HELP supress my appetite. I am going for 50 lbs. now, and ultimately to 75 lbs.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Took PhenFen in the 90s as an overweight teen, lost 40 lbs before the recalls. Maintained a while, eventually took Meridia and lost another 40 lbs. I was still obese.
    Guess why I started using MFP? I gained all that weight back when not using them. They made doing a low carb diet mentally sustainable for weight loss for a time. It eventually didn't work and didn't teach me anything sustainable.
    Now by tracking my food, I've lost 115 lb, still losing, actually overweight according to BMI (body fat isn't as defined, but I'm below 20%) but not obese. Sure, I need to keep track of things with a food journal, and I enjoyable move more, but barring civilization collapsing, I could keep doing these things in perpetuity.
  • denisecollins52
    denisecollins52 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    choppie70 wrote: »
    I am sorry, and this is just my opinion. I am not trying to be rude, but, I can't seem to wrap my brain around a recovery counselor recommending anyone using a drug that can be addictive to obtain a goal that can be obtained successfully without the use of any "crutch". Especially for something like weight loss. Even if a person does not/has not enjoyed or has not even tried speed or any other type of drug, there is still the chance of a person becoming addicted.

How do you feel about people that have surgery to start their weight loss journey?
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    @singingflutelady They got me to take the B12 shots, too. I was eating plenty of B12 and had no absorption issues at the time. Extra $20 for them.
    @senecarr have you had any heart or circulatory issues since you stopped PhenFen?? My mom took those as well.
    @choppie70 ED? I probably sound stupid, but erectile dysfunction?
    @heatherhb2016 Just be careful with those. I gained all the weight and more back after stopping them. Make sure you're focusing on lifestyle changes during this period. Looking at your diary, if you are still eating all the sugar and the things that caused you to get to this point, use the time on the Phen to get all that on track before it is time to stop. Best!
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    A childhood friend of mine died at 38 years old -- he had a lovely wife and two little girls. His passing was directly related to the use of PhenFen. And he wasn't what anyone would even consider overweight. choppie- I think the warning is fair game. OP we aren't bashing-- just providing information that might be important to certain readers.... The loss of my friend has led me to the conclusion that, no matter how tempting, I will never use weight loss medication.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Ed=eating disorder
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, and this is just my opinion. I am not trying to be rude, but, I can't seem to wrap my brain around a recovery counselor recommending anyone using a drug that can be addictive to obtain a goal that can be obtained successfully without the use of any "crutch". Especially for something like weight loss. Even if a person does not/has not enjoyed or has not even tried speed or any other type of drug, there is still the chance of a person becoming addicted.

How do you feel about people that have surgery to start their weight loss journey?

I know people who have successfully lost weight with weight loss surgery and have kept the weight off. I have also known people who had surgery and lost, then gained all the weight. If a person wants to have surgery that is their choice. Taking a prescription drug for weight loss is also someone's choice. It just boggles me that someone who deals on a daily basis with people who struggle with addiction would recommend people taking a drug to help with weight loss when there is substantial research that a person can lose weight by just eating less than they burn.

My Dr. referred me to a surgeon for weight loss surgery before she even talked to me about HOW to lose weight on my own. I am glad that I changed Dr.'s because I am now 36 lbs lighter, eat foods that I like and have not needed to take any supplements or have surgery. I am also a 45 YO who is in perimenopause and have hyerparathyroidism and hydronephrosis.

I think that people really need to be informed about weight loss and how to lose weight loss. We have too many celebrities selling anything and everything and people are so misinformed about how to lose weight.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

+1
  • heatherhb2016
    heatherhb2016 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    A childhood friend of mine died at 38 years old -- he had a lovely wife and two little girls. His passing was directly related to the use of PhenFen. And he wasn't what anyone would even consider overweight. choppie- I think the warning is fair game. OP we aren't bashing-- just providing information that might be important to certain readers.... The loss of my friend has led me to the conclusion that, no matter how tempting, I will never use weight loss medication.

Wow! Scary! I'm so sorry to hear your story!
  • heatherhb2016
    Options

Thanks for your opinion! :) however, I'm NOT working right now! This isn't an addiction/recovery group. This is about dieting! I'm stating my opinion and feelings as you are.

Yes, this is about dieting, not addiction/recovery. However, I sit here thinking how many people may read this post who may be struggling with an ED, or may have a family history of addiction and feel encouraged to try this drug.

I am a teacher, I am technically NOT working on the weekends, but if I see a situation that can be potentially dangerous for a child, you bet your *kitten* I will say something.

I fully respect that. Seriously
  • heatherhb2016
    Options
    Jbell0213 wrote: »
    I tried this drug and it made me want to climb the walls, even taking a half pill. No way. I would rather eat good and count my calories.

So far, im doing both... The med plus counting calories, eating better and so on. I understand why you stopped the pill. If I had side effects like that, I'd stop too! Thanks
  • heatherhb2016
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Took PhenFen in the 90s as an overweight teen, lost 40 lbs before the recalls. Maintained a while, eventually took Meridia and lost another 40 lbs. I was still obese.
    Guess why I started using MFP? I gained all that weight back when not using them. They made doing a low carb diet mentally sustainable for weight loss for a time. It eventually didn't work and didn't teach me anything sustainable.
    Now by tracking my food, I've lost 115 lb, still losing, actually overweight according to BMI (body fat isn't as defined, but I'm below 20%) but not obese. Sure, I need to keep track of things with a food journal, and I enjoyable move more, but barring civilization collapsing, I could keep doing these things in perpetuity.

Sounds like your doing well! Keep it up!
  • heatherhb2016
    Options

I know people who have successfully lost weight with weight loss surgery and have kept the weight off. I have also known people who had surgery and lost, then gained all the weight. If a person wants to have surgery that is their choice. Taking a prescription drug for weight loss is also someone's choice. It just boggles me that someone who deals on a daily basis with people who struggle with addiction would recommend people taking a drug to help with weight loss when there is substantial research that a person can lose weight by just eating less than they burn.

My Dr. referred me to a surgeon for weight loss surgery before she even talked to me about HOW to lose weight on my own. I am glad that I changed Dr.'s because I am now 36 lbs lighter, eat foods that I like and have not needed to take any supplements or have surgery. I am also a 45 YO who is in perimenopause and have hyerparathyroidism and hydronephrosis.

I think that people really need to be informed about weight loss and how to lose weight loss. We have too many celebrities selling anything and everything and people are so misinformed about how to lose weight.

When did I reccomend it? I said it works for me and who I def wouldn't recommend it too. Wow, a bit too much drama for me. I see why so many stay away from the forums. Perhaps, I should have headed the warnings I received. I'm sorry if I offended or upset anyone. It was not my intention. I'll be cutting off notifications to this post now. Thanks everyone for their input. I appreciate it...well, most of it! Lol thanks again! :) Good luck to everyone and the road they choose to reach their personal goals!
  • heatherhb2016
    Options
    I'm sorry if I offended or upset anyone. It was not my intention. I'll be cutting off notifications to this post now. Thanks everyone for their input. I appreciate it...well, most of it! Lol thanks again! :) Good luck to everyone and the road THEY CHOOSE to reach their OWN personal goals! :)
  • heatherhb2016
    Options
    @singingflutelady They got me to take the B12 shots, too. I was eating plenty of B12 and had no absorption issues at the time. Extra $20 for them.
    @senecarr have you had any heart or circulatory issues since you stopped PhenFen?? My mom took those as well.
    @choppie70 ED? I probably sound stupid, but erectile dysfunction?
    @heatherhb2016 Just be careful with those. I gained all the weight and more back after stopping them. Make sure you're focusing on lifestyle changes during this period. Looking at your diary, if you are still eating all the sugar and the things that caused you to get to this point, use the time on the Phen to get all that on track before it is time to stop. Best!

Well said! Very open-minded, non judgemental, and kindly stated! Awesome!
  • heatherhb2016
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Some times people don't want to put in the work needed to lose weight. Its easier for them to look for a quick fix or magic pill. These fly by night "weight loss clinics" are out to make a profit. They will prescribe people that are not even classified as obese weight loss pills and often sell them other products . most of these places will offer bad information and further spread the woo around ( like shots that boost metabolism lol!) I would be very careful taking this drug and double check any info they try to give you (most of it is likely woo)

For weight loss, all that's needed is a calorie deficit. Eat less then you burn and you'll lose weight. There's no short cuts. This must be a lifestyle change in order to have lasting success.

Thanks so much. I'm definitely making lifestyle changes as well. I'm working hard to change many habits.
  • doublewhopper
    doublewhopper Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    man I thought I was having a heart attack on phentermine. scary stuff.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I see alot of negative about Phentermine throughout this APP. However, so far, this drug is working for me with minimal side effects. I eat 3x per day. Of course I only take half my prescribed dose. I believe if you use this pill as an aid, and not your entire diet, that you'll hve a higher chance for success! I've done tons of research! I'm slowly changing the way I eat, what I eat, and keeping a daily diary! I'm hoping to learn and keep learning... Even after Phentermine! I think to each their own! Do what works for YOU!
    ***If you're looking for Phentermine friendly users... Please join the Phentermine Users group :D
    *** To those with more negative comments, this is ONLY my experience so far. Thanks

Actually you did recommend taking this pill.

Though you may not be working as a recovery counselor now and you are certainly not being paid to be one here, you should know better than to recommend an addictive substance.

• heatherhb2016
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Some times people don't want to put in the work needed to lose weight. Its easier for them to look for a quick fix or magic pill. These fly by night "weight loss clinics" are out to make a profit. They will prescribe people that are not even classified as obese weight loss pills and often sell them other products . most of these places will offer bad information and further spread the woo around ( like shots that boost metabolism lol!) I would be very careful taking this drug and double check any info they try to give you (most of it is likely woo)

For weight loss, all that's needed is a calorie deficit. Eat less then you burn and you'll lose weight. There's no short cuts. This must be a lifestyle change in order to have lasting success.

Thanks so much. I'm definitely making lifestyle changes as well. I'm working hard to change many habits.
    man I thought I was having a heart attack on phentermine. scary stuff.

Sounds scary indeed. Thanks!
  • heatherhb2016
    Options
    Thanks again everyone! Have a great evening! Goodnight <3