Lifting weights didn't fix skinny fat-need help (WOMEN ONLY PLS)

Options
13»

Replies

• stephernorris
    stephernorris Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    OP since you've given no solid details, I'm making the following profile for you:

5'4"
    130 lbs
    You've been doing planks, sit ups, curls, tricep kickbacks, and "some machine that works your legs, not the one where you lie down but the other one."
    You also do elliptical 20 minutes 3x/wk

I suggest eating at maintenance and getting on a solid heavy lifting or bodyweight training program. Your cardio level is fine.

Maybe you can help me, I have the same problem with getting rid of the extra fat. About 5 years ago I had my body fat tested and it was at 39%!!! Almost obese! I weighed 145 and didn't look overweight, just had way more fat than muscle. After I revived myself from shock/depression I started lifting more, last year I started the les Mills program but tapered off last summer and now my pants are getting tight so I'm back at the gym.
    I'm 5'4"
    140 lbs
    Size 10 pants
    Cardio 60 min a day 4/5 days a week (usually a class, circuit training/pump)
    Lifting for 30 min after, arms & back every other day and legs and butt every other day on weight machines
    1300 calories a day, 100 grams protein, healthy fats, I eat a small amount of healthy carbs, oatmeal, fruit usually for breakfast - for some reason my body just really likes to hold on to fat and won't let it go!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    OP since you've given no solid details, I'm making the following profile for you:

5'4"
    130 lbs
    You've been doing planks, sit ups, curls, tricep kickbacks, and "some machine that works your legs, not the one where you lie down but the other one."
    You also do elliptical 20 minutes 3x/wk

I suggest eating at maintenance and getting on a solid heavy lifting or bodyweight training program. Your cardio level is fine.

Maybe you can help me, I have the same problem with getting rid of the extra fat. About 5 years ago I had my body fat tested and it was at 39%!!! Almost obese! I weighed 145 and didn't look overweight, just had way more fat than muscle. After I revived myself from shock/depression I started lifting more, last year I started the les Mills program but tapered off last summer and now my pants are getting tight so I'm back at the gym.
    I'm 5'4"
    140 lbs
    Size 10 pants
    Cardio 60 min a day 4/5 days a week (usually a class, circuit training/pump)
    Lifting for 30 min after, arms & back every other day and legs and butt every other day on weight machines
    1300 calories a day, 100 grams protein, healthy fats, I eat a small amount of healthy carbs, oatmeal, fruit usually for breakfast - for some reason my body just really likes to hold on to fat and won't let it go!

My question would be how did you have your BF tested? What method ..if DEXA scan then it is probably a fairly reliable method (within a percentage point or two) ..if Bodpod slightly less but still ok ..anything else is open to question really

In terms of recomposition, assuming you are happy at your current weight you will need to

Eat at maintenance ..log carefully

I would say your minimum cardio requirement is 2x 20-30 minutes per week ...if you love it more but that is really sufficient for cariovascular health

Your lifting is not the ideal for recomposition ..you should be looking at progressive compound work with free weights IMO and your key words are progressive resistance ..machine weights have their place of course

There are a lot of decent beginner's programmes out there though ...generally 3 times a week

Books
    Strong Curves
    New Rules of Lifting for Women or the new one Stronger

Structured online programmes
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
    http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/4-week-guide-starting-strength
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    @stephernorris it would be best if you started your own thread with this question instead of maybe derailing this one. You will get better, more specific advice too.

Cheers, h.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    @stephernorris it would be best if you started your own thread with this question instead of maybe derailing this one. You will get better, more specific advice too.

Cheers, h.

Unspecific eh @middlehaitch :bigsmile:
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    All women have some fat and some loose skin, even those air brushed Shape cover models and celebs who go to extremes to lose water weight before a photo shoot to look more cut, until they eat lunch. I think you need to have realistic goals and recognize that what you see is not 'flab'. Every young woman I've ever known, even the underweight ones, thinks they're flabby at some point in their life (if not most of it). You typically learn your body isn't the problem, it's your perception. Though getting help if you're really convinced it's a problem can be a good thing.
  • stephernorris
    stephernorris Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Good idea- thank you! I appreciate the advice @rabbitjb and it was bodpod- sorry for derailing this one!