Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Omg want
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    While we're talking about different breeds of chickens. I just wanted to take a moment to remind everyone that these exist.

650cafb9e873e5d455c36503de39d2b7.jpg

And their meat looks like

506a022dd9127e30fc000d73._w.1500_s.fit_.jpg

I am not reminded

I am informed

And kind of enraptured

Fluffy

I used to breed silky bantams. At Easter I'd dye them different colours with food dye (not my pic but you get the idea):

38958095_12bdcf103d.jpg
    They look like cotton candy........
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    While we're talking about different breeds of chickens. I just wanted to take a moment to remind everyone that these exist.

I am not reminded

I am informed

And kind of enraptured

Fluffy

I used to breed silky bantams. At Easter I'd dye them different colours with food dye (not my pic but you get the idea):

38958095_12bdcf103d.jpg

I know you aren't harming them, i just wanted to say that it makes me insanely mad that people dye lil chicks for easter and give them as presents to kids. Then they dump them like a month later because a cute lil baby chick turns into a big *kitten* chicken.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I am not reminded

I am informed

And kind of enraptured

Fluffy

38958095_12bdcf103d.jpg

I know you aren't harming them, i just wanted to say that it makes me insanely mad that people dye lil chicks for easter and give them as presents to kids. Then they dump them like a month later because a cute lil baby chick turns into a big *kitten* chicken.

I agree. Chicks and baby bunnies should NOT be given as Easter gifts unless you are prepared to raise them beyond the season.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

I am not reminded

I am informed

And kind of enraptured

Fluffy

38958095_12bdcf103d.jpg

Completely agree. We ended up with half our chickens from people who got chickens then realised they would grow up and poop everywhere, or from the biology class at the local high school, who cared for chicks for 2 weeks then never knew what the hell to do with them. We were like the local chicken rescue. I only dyed the adults for the Easter show :)
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Sooooo fluffy!!
  • ericajomckinney
    ericajomckinney Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. Very interesting! I always wondered about this. I know some people who refuse brown eggs and I know people who refuse white eggs. Lol oh well a egg is a egg apparently.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. Very interesting! I always wondered about this. I know some people who refuse brown eggs and I know people who refuse white eggs. Lol oh well a egg is a egg apparently.

yep ;)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Cracks me up how so many people assume that if something's brown it must be healthier than the white version.

In for silky chickens.
    And when I get out of this suburb, I totally want to keep my own chickens.
  • KyleneSusan
    KyleneSusan Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I would take any eggs produced by this beautiful blue laced red wyandotte (which lays tan colored eggs, not white and not brown):

941011_1077456508971557_1377570133556079433_n_zpssw44ll8h.jpg

Oh my gosh, this is a beautiful chicken!! :heart:
  • Stuart107
    Stuart107 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

It's strange when I visit the US and see white eggs :smile: since all eggs over this side of the pond are brown. I have vague memories of white/brown mix when growing up in the 70s but then the UK got the "brown eggs are better" idea in a big way and now eggs are universally brown.

Well nearly universally brown! According to a 2006 article ( theguardian.com) it's "almost 100%" and that Halal eggs have to be white.
  • earlnabby
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Stuart107 wrote: »

It's strange when I visit the US and see white eggs :smile: since all eggs over this side of the pond are brown. I have vague memories of white/brown mix when growing up in the 70s but then the UK got the "brown eggs are better" idea in a big way and now eggs are universally brown.

Well nearly universally brown! According to a 2006 article ( theguardian.com) it's "almost 100%" and that Halal eggs have to be white.

Depends on what part of the US you are in (and what breeds of chickens are popular for factory farms). Here in the Midwest, white eggs are the most common (almost all chickens around here are leghorns) and you pay about twice the price for brown ones in the stores. My brother lives in New England and it is just the opposite. Brown eggs are the cheap staple and you pay extra if you want white ones. Their chickens are most often Rhode Island reds. Not sure how it is out west or in the south.
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine saw a hen eat a mouse once. Wonder how nutritionally different those eggs were?

I feed my hens some grain and crumbles, but for the most part they eat worms, bugs, wild greens they find around the coop, leftover veggies from my garden and kitchen, coffee grounds, bread, etc. Eggs vary from various shades of brown to green, but I doubt there is any difference in nutrition between the colors.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    A friend of mine saw a hen eat a mouse once. Wonder how nutritionally different those eggs were?

I feed my hens some grain and crumbles, but for the most part they eat worms, bugs, wild greens they find around the coop, leftover veggies from my garden and kitchen, coffee grounds, bread, etc. Eggs vary from various shades of brown to green, but I doubt there is any difference in nutrition between the colors.

My brother's ex has chickens (my niece is responsible for them) and their favorite food is the ticks back in the brush. They are a hodgepodge of breeds and they get all colors of eggs too.
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    When I got eggs from one of our neighbors they were brown, white, green . . . it took me by surprise but they were delicious.