Slim Pasta/Noodles - Thoughts? Stories or Recipes?

Options
2»

Replies

• BunnyBomb
    BunnyBomb Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've been eating Shirataki noodles for years! These things are magic for the metabolism. Sometimes you see places calling them "miracle noodles" - they are indeed an acquired taste though. I've grown to really enjoy them.

I buy the original ones made from Devils tongue yams, not the soy kind, but i notice it says on Wikipedia that the soya version is currently really taking off in the U.S. I guess that's why you're seeing them over there now, under various names. I had never even heard of a soya version until today, but as I'm happy with the Devils tongue version I'll stick with that.

The non-soya ones I buy have zero net carbs, no gluten, and a shed load of amino acids and vitamins. There are also a load of claimed health benefits associated with them, if you care to read more:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/469089-are-shirataki-noodles-healthy/

• BunnyBomb
    Options
    Oh sorry - I forgot to add:

My fav way of cooking the Devils tongue yam Shirataki noodles is dry frying them in a pan then using them in a stir fry. You basically just crisp them up a bit first then stir fry with them. It can take a while but it does work better than just eating them in their "jelly" form.
  • Sharcaz
    Sharcaz Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Ooo thanks BunnyBomb & ladypew!! I'm trying the stir fry today so will do it the way you guys said. I really want to like them! I wonder if we can get the shirataki Noodles here in the UK....because these sachets called "eat water" are £2.49 a go and only 1 serving!! :O
  • BunnyBomb
    Options
    Oh I'm in the UK!!

Hang on a tick I'll ask my other half where he orders them from at the moment. We've changed source a couple of times...

Aha!! I just asked and he said he used to order them online but lately he's been buying the big bags full from our local Asian supermarket because it was way cheaper. You find them in the fridge section, in bags of water. They are fresh produce but have a shelf life of a year, which is amazing. I'd look up and find a local Asian supermarket then go have a look :)
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK too and Morrisons stock a brand called Bare Naked noodles/rice. They tend to be kept in the section where you get stir fry sauces, naan breads, tortilla thingies. I love them, they bulk out my meals for so few calories.
  • BunnyBomb
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You mean these ones?

https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Bare-Naked-Noodles/251099011

They seem to be a Chinese soya variety as opposed to being Shirataki (Japanese yam) variety, so they're not the same as the ones I buy with all the 'goodness factors', amino acids and vitamins etc. They do seem low calorie though, so if that's what you're after then it's a fairly decent alternative.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    StacyChrz wrote: »
    I love spaghetti squash, and using a veggie peeler to make zucchini 'noodles'.

I have actually really fallen in love with zucchini noodles. They are super yummy.

Also, I have tried subbing some grated carrots when cooking ground meat. Half grated carrot to half the amount of ground meat and prepare as usual. I don't don't stir fry and I didn't even notice the "lack" of meat! And I love my meat.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Guys if you're using yam noodles remember you need to rinse AND dry fry them first. Moisture is not their friend. I have a lot of friends who hated them but tried again and dry fried them, and changed their mind.
  • Sharcaz
    Sharcaz Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    BunnyBomb - brilliant thank you!! I found them in bulk online for a fairly good price but we have an Asian shop near by so will check that out first yay!! Thank you!! I've just had a stir fry...dry fried the Noodles first then added soy sauce followed by the rest. It was brilliant!! And I feel super full :D I'm pretty excited about this ;)

Thanks for that mistraal! May as well give everything a go :)