My baby food diet tip...

Options

Replies

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Too little protein and too much sweetness for me. I'll pass, thank you.
  • scon37
    scon37 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your comments. I didn't realise this would be so divisive and controversial when I created this thread! To try to answer some of your comments:

1. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who does this!

2. I'm not "basing my whole diet" on baby food! As i explained in my original post, this is for snacks on the go, not all day long! Not to replace meals, but more to get me through the 3pm slump, etc. Have you ever had a hunger pang on the go and grabbed the nearest snack to get you by? This is a much better solution!

3. To the person who couldn't justify the cost (@amusedmonkey): how much do you spend per week on Starbucks coffee or similar / alcohol / take-out food / eating or drinking out? I usually eat one or two baby food sachets a day. They are only a snack so portion size is fine. In my local supermarket they cost €1.45 each. That's total daily cost of less than €3. I don't drink coffee so NEVER waste money on an overpriced Starbucks (or similar ) cappuccino; I don't smoke; I'm off alcohol for Jan but don't drink much anyway. When I think of how much people spend on their daily Starbucks ritual or on things like pizza, beer and cigarettes, I don't think anybody in their right mind could criticise the money I spend in baby food to help me get healthy!

4. To the person who suggested I microwave an apple / make a smoothie ... these are for snacks on the go or in the office. I work long hours and have a demanding job. often I barely have time to grab lunch. These are a great emergency food when there simply isn't the time nor the facilities to just whizz up a smoothie! I don't know about your office, but there's no smoothie maker in mine!

5. I don't have kids! I only started this when I had my wisdom tooth out as was struggling to find soft food. I'm lactose and soya intolerant which massively reduced my choices

6. @happyfeetrebel1 : Thanks for the tip about Ella's adult pouches!

7. Just sharing my tip. Everybody has different tastes. I fully understand it's not for everybody! Though the ones I eat are basically like smoothies.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to a nice healthy salmon dinner this evening. @amusedmonkey : I hope that's not too extravagant in your eyes :wink:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    This was a very popular eating disorder not too long ago. I haven't heard as much about it lately - too much noise from the MLM scams I guess...
  • donutbears
    donutbears Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Not weighing in as to whether you should or should not have baby food as a snack but I did want to let you know they sell fruit purees in soft packs :) they probably would be less conspicuous if you have them in public. I think I've seen fruit purees in the baby aisle and other brands in the regular produce aisle meant for adults. Same thing.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Well, it is food.
    When my dd was a baby I didn't buy commerical prepared baby food. I pureed foods myself and froze them in individual portions for later. I don't get the attraction of eating pureed food unless you have a medical condition but you can easily prepare a batch yourself for less money.

I did this too. You can make a ton of food for dirt cheap! I very rarely bought baby food.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    scon37 wrote: »
    Thanks all for your comments. I didn't realise this would be so divisive and controversial when I created this thread! To try to answer some of your comments:

3. To the person who couldn't justify the cost (@amusedmonkey): how much do you spend per week on Starbucks coffee or similar / alcohol / take-out food / eating or drinking out? I usually eat one or two baby food sachets a day. They are only a snack so portion size is fine. In my local supermarket they cost €1.45 each. That's total daily cost of less than €3. I don't drink coffee so NEVER waste money on an overpriced Starbucks (or similar ) cappuccino; I don't smoke; I'm off alcohol for Jan but don't drink much anyway. When I think of how much people spend on their daily Starbucks ritual or on things like pizza, beer and cigarettes, I don't think anybody in their right mind could criticise the money I spend in baby food to help me get healthy!

Not much. I don't do starbucks, don't like alcohol, order takeout maybe 2-3 times a year and I only eat and drink out in a social setting, but that's beside the point. I wouldn't justify it for myself because there are plenty of quick, easy and convenient options for a passing snack (now special snacks are a different story) which makes baby food on a regular basis not worth it for me. I was sharing my personal experience and opinion on the matter, and I apologize for using the pronoun "you". It was meant as a generalized "you" to pass along an idea. I personally don't think there is anything wrong with having baby food if that's what you like for snacks. I think the word "diet" is what got some people confused (me included) where you meant using baby food in your diet but it was reminiscent of the good old "baby food diet" fad where a whole diet was based on it.
  • jandw122912
    jandw122912 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    WIC paid for alot of baby food for my son but he hates it! We have a drawer full so ocasionally I'll eat one... They're pretty low cal and taste good. Makes a decent snack! And I'd rather eat them than throw them away...
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Snacks that you can "grab and go" and eat at the office: an apple, a banana, a clementine, a cheese stick, a granola bar, 100 calorie packs of almonds, hummus with pretzels (they come packaged together now, to grab & go).....

Hmm....notice I didn't mention baby food?
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    I don't eat soft baby food, but I do buy the Gerber Graduates Veggie Puffs. They taste like cheetos/chips but have far fewer calories. It's a nice crunch treat.
  • dalielahdawn
    dalielahdawn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Banana baby food is yum. Also banana / blue berry too. XD
  • JoJean12
    JoJean12 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This is a fad diet. I saw it mentioned in an article listing the top 10 worst diet fads of all time right up their with the grapefruit diet, the military diet and the sleeping beauty diet( where people took sedatives to knock themselves out for a couple of days)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    JoJean12 wrote: »
    This is a fad diet. I saw it mentioned in an article listing the top 10 worst diet fads of all time right up their with the grapefruit diet, the military diet and the sleeping beauty diet( where people took sedatives to knock themselves out for a couple of days)

I hate to say this twice in the same thread, but whiskey tango foxtrot!!! What is wrong with people!?
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it has a lot of sugar in it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    JoJean12 wrote: »

I hate to say this twice in the same thread, but whiskey tango foxtrot!!! What is wrong with people!?

I second your outburst.

I do actually remember a scene in the book Valley of the Dolls where they get a woman to go to rehab by convincing her she is going to a weight loss clinic where they will anaesthetise her for a week at a time and provide IV nutrition at a basic level so she will lose weight super fast.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I fail to see the difference between that or one of those pouches, which I keep in my car for a quick shot of energy before a run. Why's everyone up in arms? I didn't get the impression that OP is advocating the baby-food diet.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I do this too on occasion it's a nice quick emergency snack and I found some like the meals that are curry rice and pumpkin with purple carrot was awesomeness.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Have you heard the good news about keto?

Do they make keto baby food?!!!
  • scon37
    scon37 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey, this is the OP here. I was surprised to see my baby food tip was so controversial.

I'd like to recommend a different diet tip: I call it the "lick a sprout" diet. Basically you drink just water, lots of it, and eat nothing until ... you feel faint. And just when you think you're about to faint, you lick a sprout!!

Okay folks, calm down! That one was a joke! But you should read my original post! I was purely suggesting fruit smoothies for babies, which come in handy foil pouches, as a healthier alternative to biscuits, chocolate and crisps / chips. I NEVER suggested you replace lunch or dinner with baby food, just snacks. Not such a big deal at all!

Oh dear, I feel a bit faint ... where's that sprout of mine ...
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    Too little protein and too much sweetness for me. I'll pass, thank you.

Yes--low protein, high carb and probably not enough fiber for an adult either.

I wouldn't even feed the commercial stuff to a baby--it's much healthier and cheaper to make your own purees if you must have soft food.