Trouble breathing.. What to do??

Options

Replies

• mrsaniamanning
    mrsaniamanning Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone thank you for your advice, my doctor told me an hour should be fine and that excercise is a good thing to help with the delivery of the baby. Im not trying to lose weight im just trying to "stay active"

A 10% incline isn't exactly "staying active".

What do you mean?

She means that 10% incline is a big, strenuous incline and not a walk in the park. You're doing too much, too hard and your body is trying to tell you this and you are ignoring it.

Ah ok thank you :) i have a doctors visit tomorrow so ill talk with her but ill just walk around the neighborhood for now.. I also did some research that taking iron supplements should help as well
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone thank you for your advice, my doctor told me an hour should be fine and that excercise is a good thing to help with the delivery of the baby. Im not trying to lose weight im just trying to "stay active"

What do you mean?

You're likely OVER DOING IT.

Talk to your doctor about the IRON supplements as well. Focus on the baby's health.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

What do you mean?

She means that 10% incline is a big, strenuous incline and not a walk in the park. You're doing too much, too hard and your body is trying to tell you this and you are ignoring it.

Ah ok thank you :) i have a doctors visit tomorrow so ill talk with her but ill just walk around the neighborhood for now.. I also did some research that taking iron supplements should help as well

Don't take ANY supplements until you've spoken to your doctor.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

What do you mean?

Maybe you should do nothing until you talk to your dr
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

What do you mean?

They can also hurt. TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

What do you mean?

Omg OP. If you needed iron supplements, it would have shown up on your prenatal blood work. Your doc would have told you! There has to be something else going on....no one is this dense or careless about being pregnant.
  • KMiYong
    KMiYong Posts: 130 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Why are you all attacking her for trying to stay somewhat active and healthy during pregnancy? Its better than eating crap food and having hardships walking! Shes pregnant, she has extra baby weight on, perhaps she needs something to help her maintain her strength in order to be able to walk around carrying all that. You do not know.

Hun, you should be more honest - I dont know the full story, but it seems like some details are missing.
    Cut it back to 30 min walking, and cut back the incline, thats not something anyone would be walking at for any long period of time, really. If you want to keep it at the hour, then do 2 walks a day, perhaps, and listen to your doc - he knows best. Also be COMPLETLY honest with your doc and dont forget any details, so he can give you the best advice possible, and mention to him that it is very important for you to exercise.
    I would also advise you to see a nutritionist that specializes in pregnant women and a personal trainer who specializes in pregnant women and get their opinions, a meal plan that is good for you and the fetus, and a training plan (and some help if you can afford it) that will benefit you and the baby with no harm.

Exercise can also help with delivery by building stronger muscles and better breathing techniques, etc',I would've thought of all you guys would understand that.

Op - stay healthy, strong, and good luck with delivery. I hope the baby will bring lots of happiness and joy.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    KMiYong wrote: »
    Why are you all attacking her for trying to stay somewhat active and healthy during pregnancy? Its better than eating crap food and having hardships walking! Shes pregnant, she has extra baby weight on, perhaps she needs something to help her maintain her strength in order to be able to walk around carrying all that. You do not know.

Hun, you should be more honest - I dont know the full story, but it seems like some details are missing.
    Cut it back to 30 min walking, and cut back the incline, thats not something anyone would be walking at for any long period of time, really. If you want to keep it at the hour, then do 2 walks a day, perhaps, and listen to your doc - he knows best. Also be COMPLETLY honest with your doc and dont forget any details, so he can give you the best advice possible, and mention to him that it is very important for you to exercise.
    I would also advise you to see a nutritionist that specializes in pregnant women and a personal trainer who specializes in pregnant women and get their opinions, a meal plan that is good for you and the fetus, and a training plan (and some help if you can afford it) that will benefit you and the baby with no harm.

Exercise can also help with delivery by building stronger muscles and better breathing techniques, etc',I would've thought of all you guys would understand that.

Op - stay healthy, strong, and good luck with delivery. I hope the baby will bring lots of happiness and joy.

No one is attacking her for staying active. No one is denying that exercise during pregnancy has a lot of benefits. People are being firm with her because this is not her first thread on the topic, she's ignored her doctors advice to cut back on her current regime and she's ignored the general rule of exercising while pregnant - do not get to the point where you're gasping for breath. If you're breathless and gasping, your blood oxygen has dropped enough to impact the baby. THAT is what people are telling her to stop. No one is telling her to sit on the couch and gorge herself on icecream. According to the stats she gave, she was borderline underweight when she fell pregnant, so it's hardly surprisingly she's putting on weight. Plus you literally just gave the same advice that rest of us were giving - cut back, listen to your Dr.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I remember your other thread and your phrasing was not that your doctor said it was ok but that your doctor advised you cut back because you couldn't breathe properly

You still can't breathe properly because you are not supposed to be walking at 10% for an hour or dieting when you are pregnant

Your priorities are wrong, you are acting selfishly and you should absolutely go back to your doctor and talk to him honestly about your thought processes

Im sorry but i never said that i am dieting.. I am gaining weight quite a bit actually i just like to stay active, i love walking on the treadmill the doctor told me to cut back from an hour and a half so i did.. To an hour.... And its not working out for me so im going to try 30 min in the morning and 30 at night like the other advice i got.. Im afraid that any activity that i do causes shortness of breath and its not from the baby but from gaining so much weight. Im 5'9 and before i got pregnant i was 128 lbs today i am 158lbs in a matter of 3 months...

First, stop walking at an incline. If you feel fine walking on a flat surface, do so. If you cannot walk for even 30 minutes on a flat surface, at a moderate pace, then you need to talk to your dr.
    Second, 30 lbs weight gain by the second trimester is not normal. Track your food. If you are consuming insane amount of calories, there is no exercise that will help, and it is not good for you or the baby. Figure out your maintenance, and try to eat around there for the next few weeks. If you are already eating somewhere around these calories, then you need to talk to your dr about your weight gain, it could indicate some other issue, like extreme water retention.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

I remember your other thread and your phrasing was not that your doctor said it was ok but that your doctor advised you cut back because you couldn't breathe properly

You still can't breathe properly because you are not supposed to be walking at 10% for an hour or dieting when you are pregnant

Your priorities are wrong, you are acting selfishly and you should absolutely go back to your doctor and talk to him honestly about your thought processes

Im sorry but i never said that i am dieting.. I am gaining weight quite a bit actually i just like to stay active, i love walking on the treadmill the doctor told me to cut back from an hour and a half so i did.. To an hour.... And its not working out for me so im going to try 30 min in the morning and 30 at night like the other advice i got.. Im afraid that any activity that i do causes shortness of breath and its not from the baby but from gaining so much weight. Im 5'9 and before i got pregnant i was 128 lbs today i am 158lbs in a matter of 3 months...

First, stop walking at an incline. If you feel fine walking on a flat surface, do so. If you cannot walk for even 30 minutes on a flat surface, at a moderate pace, then you need to talk to your dr.
    Second, 30 lbs weight gain by the second trimester is not normal. Track your food. If you are consuming insane amount of calories, there is no exercise that will help, and it is not good for you or the baby. Figure out your maintenance, and try to eat around there for the next few weeks. If you are already eating somewhere around these calories, then you need to talk to your dr about your weight gain, it could indicate some other issue, like extreme water retention.

it may be normal-ish if OP was maintaining a very low pre-pregnancy weight by under eating and has now increased her cals significantly to get to maintenance. A lot of it will be water.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning to think troll action

Because no first time parent is this careless with the life inside her

I hope

(I know, based on the work I do, this is simply not an accurate reflection of the world we live in and some mothers do put the foetus at risk, but I am doing the blinkered hopeful thinking thing...cos feels)

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    How about trying a less exhausting exercise like swimming instead? You can get great exercise AND stretching with less stress on your lower body, which will be better as the baby grows. Many pregnant women at my fitness center switch to swimming somewhere in the second trimester and swear by it during the third. They say they feel much better balanced too.

How about listening to her dr??? Swimming can also be rigorous and lead to shortness of breath

The pregnant women at my pool usually don't actually swim, unless they've been doing that for some time already. They usually use a flotation device and bicycle up and down the lane. There are alot of them, so I imagine it's their doctors telling them to do that. Once the baby is born, there are saturday morning classes for the parents and their babies. The kiddie pool is full. Cute, and lots of splashing.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    KMiYong wrote: »
    Why are you all attacking her for trying to stay somewhat active and healthy during pregnancy? Its better than eating crap food and having hardships walking!

No one is attacking her. OP has in this thread and in a previous thread indicated that she's ignoring her doctor's advice. Her doctor told her specifically to cut back. If she's still having issues, guess what? It means to cut back more. Not only should she cut back the amount of time, she should cut back the incline. 10% incline is alot. If it were me I wouldn't even be using an incline. I'd just do straight up walking. Staying active is one thing, putting continual stress on your body is another, and even more so when you're pregnant and having trouble breathing. Wouldn't that be a good indication that she should you know.. stop what she's doing and try to do less? Plus no one even mentioned what she's eating. It's all about her activity. I have a 12 month old. I ran a 5k 2 days after I got my positive pregnancy test. I actually had to quit running in my first trimester because it was just too strenuous and I had trouble breathing. So I took it down to just walking. And then I took prenatal swim classes that were nice and easy on my body but allowed me to stay flexible and active. I swear by those aquatic classes, I've had 2 great deliveries after having taken them. But clearly OP is not taking the advice of her doctor seriously and putting herself and baby at risk. So perhaps we are being hard on her to try and drill into her that she needs to ease up and speak with her doctor. But no one has attacked her.
  • mrsaniamanning
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

I know 30 lbs is very embarrassing.. I was actively trying to gain but only 10 lbs because i lost my period so i was eating 2500 cals per day and then since i got pregnant ive gained 1.5-2 lbs per week :( is 2500 an insane amount??
  • mrsaniamanning
    Options

I hope

(I know, based on the work I do, this is simply not an accurate reflection of the world we live in and some mothers do put the foetus at risk, but I am doing the blinkered hopeful thinking thing...cos feels)

Well im sorry you feel that i already make a terrible parent for exercising :(:(
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I hope

Well im sorry you feel that i already make a terrible parent for exercising :(:(

wow, you just don't get it …

I hope this is not a serious thread….
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options

I hope

What do you not understand. 60 minutes on a treadmill at a 10% incline which is leaving you with difficulties breathing has a high chance of causing long term injuries to your unborn child.

Therefore you are putting on own desires above those of your unborn child. There is 0 need to take part in exercise which leaves you with difficulties breathing when you are not carrying a child but at least then you have only your own wellbeing to mess up. Right now you have a good chance of hurting your child.

Simply put, yes, you are a terrible parent if you continue to put your unborn child at a totally unnecessary risk. Our jobs as parents is to minimise the risk our children face in life until they are of an age and mental ability to fully take care of themselves.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I hope

point_missed.gif
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

I hope

Exercising to the point that puts your unborn child at risk DOES make you a terrible parent. If you can't see that then I weep for your unborn child.

You are being a selfish me-me-me type. Parenthood is about prioritising the interests of your children. I hope you work it out before too long...
  • mrsaniamanning
    Options
    Ok so no one has read that I am going to the doctors today and will get more information today and did not walk today so thank you for all of you calling me a terrible parent to my unborn child, I listened to my doctor I cut back, then it was still continuing to be a problem, I was just posting to see if anyone else has this issue as well, but I did not expect to get all of these rude remarks. I know you all mean well and I thank you for that but my baby comes first, I was just exercising to make the delivery easier not to lose weight. And it's funny when i wasn't pregnant and I asked if walking at 10% incline at 3mph for an hour was active, everyone was like no no that's lightly active. Now all of a sudden it's not so lightly active???