Knee problems

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    At your weight, chances are that it's from wear on the joints. Not uncommon for people who are very overweight or obese. See an orthopedist to see what may be the issue. Also, I wouldn't recommend you doing 30 day shred as it may be too advanced for now. Walking is normally what I have my clients do to start. That and a CONSISTENT calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Agree with seeing someone but also that you are probably just too heavy for running and squats. I had some knee issues starting at 220lbs with a fitness background and had to go low impact for a while and really pay attention to form. I have no problems now but if I wasn't as self aware body wise due to my past I could have set myself up for long term problems leaving it unaddressed.

Ya, due to my knees, I had to build up to walking three miles at a stretch over about six months, and that was with good shoes (Asics Gel) and only walking in the woods (as opposed to harder surfaces.)

I have to be extremely careful with squat-like movements in the gym. The leg sled is the only thing that works for me, and I cannot do it when I am also hiking and practicing yoga. My knee is ok with any two of the three, but not all three.

I say I have no issues now, I could if I'm not careful. I am a horror for sitting all bunched up on the sofa and then getting up with really painful knees and hips (oh yeah, I also have hip issues, thanks gymnastics and dance!). I try not to sit like that nearly as much now but it takes conscious effort. So important to learn our body's cues and adjust as necessary, including resting completely if necessary. If you haven't learned those cues yet then seek professional advice.

I have overstretched hip flexors, which I am working on compensating for now that I know that's the problem but I have to be very careful not to push too far distance wise when running because simply going a few minutes too long means strained hip flexors. Injury is no fun, long term damage and injury is even less fun.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Having gone from 301 to 171, I can attest that running AND walking ,and all exercise for that matter, get much easier and less painful as you lose weight, get stronger, and build endurance. However you do need to know your body, any limitations,
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Well yeah, I'm not really excited about running anyways lol I won't miss it.

I will get into see someone soon I'm just hoping I don't stall my weight loss.

While there are many reasons to exercise, it's not actually needed for weight loss. You can obtain your calorie deficit in the kitchen.

I recommend not doing any squats, lunges, or medium-high impact activity until you are cleared by the doctor. Due to the way you described your knee issues in your OP, you may wish to avoid even low impact exercise like walking for a few weeks as well. Definitely never try to work through knee pain.

Here are the exercises my doctor gave me to strengthen the muscles around my knee:

ucswowb7t65z.jpg
    ^ Yes.
    These are the ones my physical therapist gave me.

• trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Running? Meh. I "only" weigh 71kg but running kills my knees. I agree with what some of the other people have said: do something else to burn calories. Find something you really enjoy.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Consider upper body weight lifting. Swimming. On youtube look for "chair boxing."
  • ivvassileva
    ivvassileva Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had issues with my right knee for some years and I finally went to a doctor for it - highly recommended! He advised me on what supplements to take for it and what type of exercises to do. Ater that at the gym I asked the staff what to do and they also gave me some good advise.
    I hope everything turns out to be fine with you :)
  • wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My highest weight ever was 272. My painful joints is from arthritis... left knee, right elbow, and fingers/thumbs mainly. Weight loss and glucosamine/chondroitin has helped everything but my left knee. It's weird, 'cause I can go up stairs, walk, and jog with no pain. If I try to use a stationary bike, elliptical, a leg-raise weight machine, go down stairs, do lunges and such it hurts like nobody's business. I saw a pain doc on Friday. He's sending me for x-rays to see the extent of things and will then give me a cortisone shot and set me up for physical therapy. Hoping it helps. Good luck finding relief!
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I wanted to put in my two cents about feeling discouraged when injury prevents some kinds of exercise: I've had two medical things crop up in the last two months that kept me from exercising, but I set my calories low enough to keep losing through both periods. It really can be done, and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I found it much easier to be patient about waiting to get back to exercise when I knew that in the meantime there was no reason for my progress to stall. The lighter I am, the fewer problems I'll have with exercise and injury.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I've lost 17 pounds so far, my starting weight being 320.
    I know it's harder to do things being this big, but my left knee is giving me horrible issues. I already stopped trying to jog. I was doing squats wrong and I have corrected myself.

Is there a way to fix this problem or will it be this way until I'm lighter? It has been swollen, pops and grinds and has very limited range of motion. It does usually cause too much pain.

@emilygraves1989 How did it go at the Dr. appt? :) Came across this thread and was thinking about you. I had my 2nd knee done a few weeks ago and it feels so good to move without pain. I was hoping he was able to help you out with suggestions on low impact workouts or others ideas.

Take care!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Yeah, running at that weight is a very bad idea. Non-weight bearing exercises are probably a better place to start. Try swimming, water aerobics and the exercise bicycle until you get down a bit more.

How tall are you?

• bojkoj19
    bojkoj19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi there
  • emilygraves1989
    emilygraves1989 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for thinking about me and checking in.

The doctor recommended a high dose of naproxen, icing twice a day, and total rest for a full week. He wanted me to ease into a second week, start working out again but ice afterwards and continue the naproxen. He also said I have no arch in my foot, so he recommended I get inserts for my workout shoes. They seem to help a bit.

He wants a follow up to make sure I don't have a small meniscus tear, which he said is a possibility due to where the pain is.
  • cathed42
    cathed42 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have osteoarthritis in my knees and stick mainly with the stationary bike and rowing machine for now. I had to give up the treadmill because it was too high impact on my joints and just made the pain worse.
  • emilygraves1989
    emilygraves1989 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    He told me I could still use the elliptical I just bought.

But it doesn't feel like I should :(
  • moosect
    moosect Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    if your doctor says you can use it , then do it but do it till your knees say no more. my knees are allows popping and cracking as i workout . keep up the good work
  • djpjay
    djpjay Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You can also take a FISH OIL. It's an anti-inflammatory and is also good for your joints
  • julescba04
    julescba04 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Has anyone mentioned tight its muscle? That can easily cause knee pain
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,103 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have had issues in the past, for me it was a torn meniscus. It took a long time to get a proper diagnosis, but once I got it, it was an easy surgery to fix. An orthopedist is who I had to see to get the answer to my continuing knee issues.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I found the elliptical killed my knees. My doctor told me exactly the same thing, with the addition of recommending me to physical therapy (waiting on insurance approval for the PT now). He's worried that an old knee injury led to me using my leg muscles wrong and thinks I need to retrain my leg. bleh.

I bought one of those silly-looking Gazelle step-gliders, and it's been fabulous for exercising with no stress either to my knee or to my back (i have spinal damage), but honestly, the best thing you can do is walk. Just walk, especially on flat ground.