Trouble breathing.. What to do??

Options
124»

Replies

• samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    If you're out of breath, your baby can't get enough oxygen. If you want to hurt your baby, keep exercising so hard that you get out of breath. If you don't want to hurt your baby, scale back what you are doing so you don't get out of breath. This is pretty simple...
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Have you tried asking this question on a site specific for pregnant women and new moms? Maybe the advice would be more appropriate given that it would be from women who understand better. I've heard of babycenter, but I'm sure there's more.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ok so no one has read that I am going to the doctors today and will get more information today and did not walk today so thank you for all of you calling me a terrible parent to my unborn child, I listened to my doctor I cut back, then it was still continuing to be a problem, I was just posting to see if anyone else has this issue as well, but I did not expect to get all of these rude remarks. I know you all mean well and I thank you for that but my baby comes first, I was just exercising to make the delivery easier not to lose weight. And it's funny when i wasn't pregnant and I asked if walking at 10% incline at 3mph for an hour was active, everyone was like no no that's lightly active. Now all of a sudden it's not so lightly active???
    <headdesk>
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Ok so no one has read that I am going to the doctors today and will get more information today and did not walk today so thank you for all of you calling me a terrible parent to my unborn child, I listened to my doctor I cut back, then it was still continuing to be a problem, I was just posting to see if anyone else has this issue as well, but I did not expect to get all of these rude remarks. I know you all mean well and I thank you for that but my baby comes first, I was just exercising to make the delivery easier not to lose weight. And it's funny when i wasn't pregnant and I asked if walking at 10% incline at 3mph for an hour was active, everyone was like no no that's lightly active. Now all of a sudden it's not so lightly active???

for a pregnant woman yes it is active..for a non pregnant woman it is not….do you not understand the difference??????? wow….

• ndj1979
    edited January 2016
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Have you tried asking this question on a site specific for pregnant women and new moms? Maybe the advice would be more appropriate given that it would be from women who understand better. I've heard of babycenter, but I'm sure there's more.

or maybe stop trying to get medical information on internet forums and go to, and listen to, a doctor….
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Perspective.

What constitutes a cartain activity level when not pregnant is not the same as when you are pregnant. Surely this is common sense?

Doctor told you to slow down. You cut back and still experienced problems? What do you honestly think the next correct decision you could make is? That's right! Cut back some more. Again, common sense.

You seem to lack common sense/perspective. I'm not sure there's anything anyone here can do for you...
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

or maybe stop trying to get medical information on internet forums and go to, and listen to, a doctor….

That would be better, but she's not listening to the doc either and clearly not appreciating the answers here...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

That would be better, but she's not listening to the doc either and clearly not appreciating the answers here...

not sure she would like the answers on a pregnant woman forum either…OP seems to lack common sense….
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Common sense isn't.
  • KaponoMama
    KaponoMama Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    *Flavor Flav voice* Woowwwwwwwww.
    This can't be real life. :/
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If you are having trouble breathing during exercise then you need to dial it back. This goes for non-pregnant people as well. Not being able to catch your breath is a bad sign. Common sense would be to stop what you're doing or at least, slow it down. At least I thought it was common sense....I never know anymore.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options

I suspect many of us who have answered are experienced moms.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I think I might understand the thought process. OP, wasn't your mom like crazy 'tough' during pregnancy? My dad and brother were both terribly insensitive about anything I couldn't do that they considered 'weak', so I put away my common sense and tried to trudge through things that were too much for me. Nevermind that it turns out I had a condition that was fatal at the time (untreated it is)! I knew something was big wrong, but I listened to their 'advice'. Yeah, don't do that ;)

In my case, my doctor was no help with advice before we knew what the diagnosis was. It sounds like your doctor definitely supports the idea of cutting back until breathing is no problem. So do it. Don't listen to whoever in your life is scoffing at having to cut back treadmill walking. Because I'm about 90% certain you have someone scoffing at it. Maybe it's just your internal voice doing that, but really it does go against common sense. Don't let your emotions or other people's own (supposed) standards for their own bodies cloud your judgement. I'm sure pregnancy is a touchy time that way.

BTW, after my brother had a health issue of his own he changed his own standards a lot, as you might imagine! Things aren't so 'weak' when he finds he can't do them either.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    So what did your doctor say? Are you going to follow your doctor's advice?
  • mrsaniamanning
    mrsaniamanning Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think I might understand the thought process. OP, wasn't your mom like crazy 'tough' during pregnancy? My dad and brother were both terribly insensitive about anything I couldn't do that they considered 'weak', so I put away my common sense and tried to trudge through things that were too much for me. Nevermind that it turns out I had a condition that was fatal at the time (untreated it is)! I knew something was big wrong, but I listened to their 'advice'. Yeah, don't do that ;)

In my case, my doctor was no help with advice before we knew what the diagnosis was. It sounds like your doctor definitely supports the idea of cutting back until breathing is no problem. So do it. Don't listen to whoever in your life is scoffing at having to cut back treadmill walking. Because I'm about 90% certain you have someone scoffing at it. Maybe it's just your internal voice doing that, but really it does go against common sense. Don't let your emotions or other people's own (supposed) standards for their own bodies cloud your judgement. I'm sure pregnancy is a touchy time that way.

BTW, after my brother had a health issue of his own he changed his own standards a lot, as you might imagine! Things aren't so 'weak' when he finds he can't do them either.

Thank you :)
  • mrsaniamanning
    mrsaniamanning Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    So what did your doctor say? Are you going to follow your doctor's advice?

I did talk to my doctor turns out that i should be taking iron vitamins and she said that my weight gain was needed for the baby (she made me feel better about that :)) she told me to continue walking but take a break after 30 min and then continue.. She told me that she ran a marathon a few days before giving birth and she had trouble breathing but the baby and her were healthy. So i tried the 30 min with a break and then another 30 min and saw a huge difference
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am glad you are listening to your doctor. I have experienced far less injury and increasing strength as I got more sensitive listening to my own body. The shortness of breath is your body's red flag. It trumps any other research or intentions you have. Continue to listen to your doctor and your own body.