Do you ever feel embarassed being seen exercising? (home,gym

Options

Replies

• k1r5ty23
    k1r5ty23 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. When I first started the gym five years ago I felt like I was on show. The regulars were on the machines for hours and I struggled to last over two minutes. Was so embarassed!! But kept at it and now i'm one of the regulars; not just attending the gym but also take part in the spin, zumba, aerobics and pump classes they have on offer. Guess it just takes time to get comfortable with something.

When my confidence increased in gym also noticed I went from wearing really baggy sportswear to tight fitted lycra which I never would have dreamed of a few years ago.

Only time I feel truely embarassed now is a few miles into a run. Wonder what people think of me doing my suffocating goldfish impression as I struggle to breath :-s
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    This is why I haven't even considered joining a gym.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I am embarrassed every time I go to a class.
    I am older than everyone in my classes and I am way heavier. In addition I have a hard time keeping up. And I sweat profusely! Throw in being bald and it is surprising that I go at all.
    The off set is that I feel awesome after every class. I sleep better at night. I have more energy during the days. And, although I am usually sore after a class my "fat *kitten*" aches and pains are almost completely gone.
    The way I look at it is that there is a cost to everything if I have to pay for a better life & health with a little personal humiliation. Then so be it!
    Actually, when I think about it the humiliation is no worse than the feeling of being stared at or mocked because of my being overweight.

Good luck with your goals and keep up the good work.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    yep, I have humongous, untameable boobs, so when I want to jog a little I make sure there's nobody else on the trail or I stop!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    This is part of why I haven't started exercising consistently yet. Only part,mind you, and I know I have to get past it and the rest of my 'issues' especially since I've done the gym route before.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Yes, I run on a treadmill because I'm too self concious to run outside. I won't let anyone watch me workout (except for my 2 year old twins who call it "dancing"). If anyone comes in the room, i immediately stop what i'm doing and take a "rest" until they are gone. If they stay for long enough, I pause my workout and continue when they leave. I don't like being seen. I look like a hot mess & I'm probably not as coordinated on some moves as i might want to think.

It's okay though. Exercise is my 'alone time' and i definitely need that.
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Yes I do - and I am amazed at how many others posted the same thing, i thought I was alone. I just tell myself that I am working towards a goal and that everybody has to start somewhere. For all I know that amazingly fit woman who is spening 90 minutes on the stairmaster once looked like me...get yourself a similiar mantra and repeat it over and over in your head and soon the embarassment will go away, it does with me. I go to a boxing gym and the women there are totally toned and fit, somedays are harder than others but most of the time I give it all I've got with my trainer and just tell myself that we all need to start somewhere. Goodluck to you...:flowerforyou:
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I used to try and 'hide' my exercising when I knew my hubby was in the garden working...am really not sure why! But since we've started c25k together it doesn't seem to bother me as much.

I don't go to a gym, I think it would take some getting past the embarrassment factor for me...I don't like being seen hot and sweaty in front of people!
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Only if I'm naked

LOL!!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I'm getting back into doing Tai Chi. I practiced regularly for 5 years and was even certified to teach beginners. Then got away from it for about a year when I went through a depression.
    My kicks are pathetic and I am kind of wobbly. It will take awhile to get back into good form. I am too embarrassed to practice in front of anyone. My husband told me very recently that he likes to see me practice because its so graceful!
  • TracyJaneLee
    Options
    Im with you on the boobs part! Mine are big and even in a great bra they bounce a lot! Jogging/running is not even something i will even consider, and that despite the fact i would be dying in minutes!

Today i walked 2.7 miles so far and its the first day i have thought sod it - i dont care who is driving past and laughing etc I want to lose weight and be fitter for me.

I have gone to 1 zumba class and didn't mind so much as it was pretty relaxed and funny and we were all screwing up! I love the wii zumba though, and since i live alone now i dont have to worry who sees me.

I have my first 2 hour appointment with a gym trainer on Tuesday but i am scared about it, especially when they look so young and fit. I will just have to try and lose my embarrassment and imagine myself at my goal weight :)
  • _Virginia_
    _Virginia_ Posts: 49
    Options
    You're not alone. I feel the same way. I always wait until my hausband is gone to work and on the weekends I only do the treadmil. That doesn't seem to have the same effect.
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I'm at a gym... so weirdos off the street can come in and watch me if they want!

But then I remember why I'm there. And I'm hoping that one day someone from the gym comes up to me and compliments me on my loss.. they see me every day breathing heavily and sweating over the machines. The hard work's gotta pay off sometime...

It's probably better that I don't know these people because I really don't care what they think of me. I don't know how I'd react if someone I actually knew came in though...

That's a great feeling, when someone comes up to you and flags you to take off your headphones just to say you're looking great keep it up.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't feel embarassed in a class, but I work out at home and I have to be alone to do it. When my kids were home they tended to offer too much "corrective criticism". Most of the time they were really trying to be helpful but it wasn't. I know I'm uncoordinated, but I'm getting exercise. Now it's just me and my husband and when I do Zumba he knows he's not allowed in the room because he can't refrain from either making fun of the moves or making lewd comments.
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    When my husband decided to join me with my workout dvd (30 day shred), I wasn't sure, it felt weird enough to even start this on my own! And the first few minutes were a little awkward, but we got over that pretty quickly. Now I don't feel weird at all anymore.

And just think, if you see someone else exercising, would you find that embarrassing/funny? Of course not1 So no reason why they would think that about you.
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    You're not alone! I always feel like people are making fun of me when I'm at the gym. Even when I'm training with my trainer, I feel like he's making fun of me and he's not. It's probably because of my self conscious and my perception of how people view me. I get through it by thinking I don't give a rats *kitten* what they think and I'm doing this for my health even if I look foolish. In the end I'll end up feeling great. Good luck!

Oh wait then there's the husband and the kid at home who think they're helping me by doing some of the DVDs with me but then they begin making comments like faster,come on, that's not how they're doing it. My solution to that was to kick them out when I'm working out! That fixed the problem right away!
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I get embarrassed if I'm doing a dance DVD or something like that. However, I think it's important that my 8 yr old dd sees me exercising and knows the importance of exercise. So, I suck up the embarrassment in front of her. I've even coaxed her into doing a few with me (she is active enough to not need the extra exercise).
  • liz11599
    liz11599 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Yes, I used to feel that way. WHen I started at my gym I only worked out in the Ladies Only room, especailly when I lifted weights. THen I gradually worked up my confidence to move to the cardio room, which again, is a smaller room, but for men and women. Now I'm out in the big room with everyone else. As I've dropped weight and have gotten stronger I've gained the confidence to work out in the open and realize that we're all there for the same reason. However, with that said....I still haven't worked up to the courage to work out in the abdominal area. One day soon, I hope.
  • Monkeymin
    Monkeymin Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    When I first started using the Kinect - Your Shape and Dance Central, I was so embarrased so I closed the living room curtains. I've been doing it for several months now and I past caring what my neighbours think, So the curtains are fully open the window is open ( as i work up a sweat) and now I don't care that they see me. It's there issue if they are bothered to watch. I'm not the best dancer but at least i'm having fun.
  • sweet_t2483
    sweet_t2483 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    YES! My husband has the worst ways of trying to motivate me - he points out my jiggles and says put some more effort into that spot. He doesn't understand why I'm self conscious - DUH here's your sign....lol He's tall and thin - so he walks faster than I do and I look like Marvin Martian trying to keep up with him. Truly annoying!