too "small" for encouragement?

Options
124»

Replies

• k_perz
    k_perz Posts: 10
    Options
    Anyone else have friends and family acting as saboteurs???

My boyfriend and I have been dieting since Sept. 2010. I've lost about 30 lbs with about 5-10 to go. My "target weight" is not specific, because as many have said, I'll know when I'm happy with my body. Right now it's about toning. My boyfriend has lost about 25 lbs and has about 20 to go. He's 6'4 (I'm 5'4) so you can tell he's lost a big chunk of weight, but he still has a nice "spare tire" going on. We are extremely supportive of each other.

HOWEVER, his family is not supportive at all! We spend a lot of time with them, and many of them are overweight. They are CONSTANTLY torturing us with sweets and salty snacks, telling us we are getting too thin, telling my boyfriend he looks "sickly"... I think deep down inside, they are insecure with themselves and jealous of our progress. Many of them say they'd like to lose weight but lack the self control and motivation.

You have to want to make a change for yourself in order to be successful. Everyone, no matter their goals, deserves support. I've loved the support I've found on MFP!