Is it worth my time?

ciaralizabeth
ciaralizabeth Posts: 14 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello everyone! I have been working out for about 6 months and have lost around 25lbs. Recently, I have started to practice/follow an ab routine. Previously, I never did anything with my midsection.

Today, I was told that working my abs was a waste of time. I still have about 50 lbs to lose, so the person thinks I shouldn't focus on abs until I am closer to my ideal weight? Any thoughts? Are they right?

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    I've never done any isolated ab work/routines and my stomach has gotten smaller. You can't spot reduce even with an ab routine.
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    I think working your core is a good thing! Not that it is going to make you have an itty bitty waist but you core is the center of your body! Helps you stand taller, and just makes me feel better.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    You can't spot reduce, but core strength is important. I don't see anything wrong with doing an ab workout as part of your weekly routine.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    i wouldn't focus on working my abs for the purpose of getting abs or spend an entire workout on it (regardless of weight) however there is a lot of benefit to training a strong core regardless of how much weight you have to lose.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Many people find that following a progressive, full-body lifting program is the best option for improving & maintaining muscle while losing weight. These programs include movements that work the core along with other muscles.

This isn't to say that an ab routine is completely useless, but I, personally, don't do a ton of purely ab work. I do yoga and pilates if I need something easier for that day's workout.

~Lyssa
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    What do you mean by an ab routine?

Isolation exercises have their place but honestly,I think you would find compound movements that engage your core amongst a whole raft of other muscles far more impactful
  • jnunez1963
    jnunez1963 Posts: 35 Member
    Strong abs help strengthen your back, they're not a waste of time. As a matter of fact, nothing you do to strengthen your body, or productively spend your free time is a waste of time.

It doesn't even matter if the gym guy is technically correct in what they said. Do what you like, what you will continue to do and have fun doing it.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Just don't get one of those belts or anything

As a previous poster mentioned above, as part of an overall routine is great. Like planks, crunches, that sort of thing
  • rabbitjb wrote: »
    What do you mean by an ab routine?

Isolation exercises have their place but honestly,I think you would find compound movements that engage your core amongst a whole raft of other muscles far more impactful

^^^This - having a strong core is great and can reduce the likelihood of lower back injuries, but between the core work I get doing compound lifts during my strength training and some pretty minimal core work in a self-defense/fitness class I take, I feel like have a strong core without having to do a lot of isolation work (aaaand now I've typed the word "core" enough that it's starting to look funny).
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Strong Abs mean strong back. Not a waste of time. Just do planks.
  • rattiemomma
    rattiemomma Posts: 41 Member
    You have good answers here. I'd also add that you got poor advice about not strengthening/developing your muscles until you lose weight. No, you can't spot reduce, but you can show off your awesome strong muscles as the weight comes off instead of losing weight and feeling squishy, then choosing to reshape your body.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Someone told me that I'd have to do a *kitten* load of exercise to really work my abs. Also said it was a waste of time and that it's better to focus on other parts like my legs because they have the biggest muscles.

Idk about that, but I work my abs anyway since I always make sure my workouts are full body.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Ab exercises will build up the muscles, which is great, but what they won't do is spot reduce the fat in that area. All you can do is reduce your overall body fat, which you can only do with a calorie deficit.
  • Ibeachlover
    Ibeachlover Posts: 66 Member
    I agree with above comments. The thing about abs is that you can work them out "outside" your normal routine in order to reduce time of main workouts. Planks are good, and having a strong mid-section, as others have said, is good for back support. However, we have to lose the fat to eventually see the abs so don't spend an inordinate amount of time on abs. So I would suggest working them out as spot exercises while watching tv etc.
  • level3tjg
    level3tjg Posts: 21 Member
    You need to lose the fat and then you'll have abs. Right now the fat is just covering them up. After you lose the weight and you start seeing your six pack you can do some exercises to tone them.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Pilates worked wonders for my midsection. You get to work the core every way possible.
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    I don't see anything wrong with it. I usually do a full body workout then afterwards a 15 min yoga video that focuses on the abs and core.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I would think an entire routine dedicated to ab work is largely a waste of time. Doing some abdominal isolation work as part of broader program would be more beneficial.

Your core is going to benefit more from doing compound lifting movements. Compound lifting movements are the backbone of any lifting routine worth its salt as these types of movements require your entire body to work together functionally to move the weight. I do core isolation work at the end of my workouts and generally just focus on one exercise.

Also, as others have stated...you can't spot reduce so if you're doing it for that purpose, then yes...most definitely a waste of time.
  • sarahspenceee
    sarahspenceee Posts: 38 Member
    Hello everyone! I have been working out for about 6 months and have lost around 25lbs. Recently, I have started to practice/follow an ab routine. Previously, I never did anything with my midsection.

Today, I was told that working my abs was a waste of time. I still have about 50 lbs to lose, so the person thinks I shouldn't focus on abs until I am closer to my ideal weight? Any thoughts? Are they right?

I don't think that any working out is a waste of time. But if you've got 50 pounds to lose I would train the bigger muscle groups, like legs, to burn more calories in and out of the gym overall. Then when your at weight, you can see your abs better and start to fine tune to your own personal preference. You got this girl, I'm doing it with ya!~

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    I've noticed that after doing compound lifting movements regularly, yoga poses requiring core strength got easier.