working out on your period?

Options

Replies

• ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I think the monthly cycle can affect everyone differently. Personally, I tend to get bloated & experience some achiness in my lower back. Having said this, I find that once I get into my workout I tend to block this out & get on my workout as per normal. The only time I've had to change things up is if I'm doing heavy deadlifting & I feel my low back is sore. In this case, I listen to my body & back off leaving the deadlifts for my next workout.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    you actually don't lose a lot of blood during your period, most of the liquid is the water you had been retaining from the days previous. so it's not like donating a pint of blood a day lol.

i've never had issues with exercising during my period so i cant speak to any specific issues, but i think in general if you are feeling weaker, nauseous, etc during this time then you should see your doctor. it also helps to stay properly hydrated, ad eating a balanced diet

I lose more than a pint a day on my heavy day and a half, but I realize that's not normal. I don't know which is worse - the blood loss or the sleep deprivation.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    If you worked out harder yesterday than you normally do, your body may just be more tired than usual.

didn't even consider that, thanks for pointing it out!
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    To be fair, periods can be pretty harsh. I mean, your body just spent 3 weeks getting the kid's room ready, found out you aren't going to use it, and is trashing the joint in a fit of rage. No wonder there's no energy for much beyond chocolate and Netflix.

hahaha! hilarious.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    yep. happens. I tend to get weakling syndrome when on period and just after too. Occasionally i also get weakling syndrome the day before too but usually because I am usually soooooooooo tired the day before.

I've started tracking this stuff on an app because it was doing my head in a bit.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    There is actually some decent information about how your period affects training. I'm on my phone and can't link nor find the exact article I like but Google menstrual cycle and training and lots of options pop up. Most, most not all, feel strongest the week after their period and weak during.

Personally this isn't true for me. I lose dramatic strength the week before so much so that I call it my weak week. However once things start flowing I am a freaking superhero. I have started adjusting my training around this issue. I work out during my period now but in the past would have extreme cramps, nausea and a lot more symptoms that I will spare you. Everyone is different, do what is best for you.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Def a real thing! I still do what I can though. The movement helps reduce any pain I am in. So even if I have to lower weights or slow down my cardio I still go.
  • gracepost123
    gracepost123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm s big baby when it comes to my period!! Mine usually last 3 or 4 days. So I'll pick one of those days to have my one cheat day for the month and I deff do not work out!!
  • AestheticStar
    AestheticStar Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel a lack of energy when I first start my period & it's hard to be motivated. Plus I always feel so bloated, it's frustrating. But I heard that supposedly, it's good to do strength training or pilates/yoga during your period & at the end of it, do HIIT cardio, because they say you burn more calories at the end of your cycle. Saw something about that on the Doctors lol. I'm curious if it's true, especially since I do HIIT a lot.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I have a lack of energy the week or so before, plus the first 1-2 days when cramping is the worst. However usually day 3 or 4 is what I call "warrior woman" day when suddenly I'm strong and fast again and feel unstoppable. It makes the days of slow, tired workouts almost worth it.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i'm usually exhausted but i try to still move.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't overcomplicate things. Sure our periods sometimes affect our energy levels. Sometimes we just have better days in the gym than other days. Just keep going and don't stress it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    mochapygmy wrote: »
    There is actually some decent information about how your period affects training. I'm on my phone and can't link nor find the exact article I like but Google menstrual cycle and training and lots of options pop up. Most, most not all, feel strongest the week after their period and weak during.

A few articles:

* http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/period-periodization-harnessing-the-power-of-your-cycle
    * http://www.optimumh.co.uk/influence-of-menstrual-cycle-on-strength-training-and-timing/
    * https://www.t-nation.com/training/hormone-cycle-and-female-lifters
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    mochapygmy wrote: »

A few articles:

* http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/period-periodization-harnessing-the-power-of-your-cycle
    * http://www.optimumh.co.uk/influence-of-menstrual-cycle-on-strength-training-and-timing/
    * https://www.t-nation.com/training/hormone-cycle-and-female-lifters

Thanks jemhh! There is a new article that just came out a couple days ago as well. I haven't read it yet but it is floating around on my fit friends' fb pages.
  • time2cutnow
    time2cutnow Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    That's when preworkout comes most in handy.
  • alismommy1992
    alismommy1992 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I get really heavy periods some months and omg if i workout i feel so exhausted to the point i want to pass out but i try my best at least to eat a light diet or do a bit of dancing at home everyone is different do what u are comfortable with
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    No excuses! Plus, I usually eat more on my period, and want to take advantage of that and get a few good lifting days in. Exercise helps my cramps. I bloat about 3-4lbs and exercise makes me feel better about that too. I saw some complaining about the smell and being able to see pads- I would hope tampons are an option for most with the exception of religious beliefs, or are there medical conditions that don't allow women to wear them?

I may be tired, but this is always the case if I don't work out- I find it gives me more energy!

If you have difficult periods it's a completely different story, but I believe the majority can get along with some preworkout and a dose of willpower.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    >_> Call me crazy - I can't see where the OP might have mentioned she was using this as an "excuse," so I'm not entirely sure why some replies are insinuating she did. In fact, she seemed to say she pushed through it - and that it just wore her out.

So... we're not allowed to have "off" days? When we aren't smiling and dancing on the treadmill and doing sumo squat jazz hands because exercising is just SO AWESOME? TOMs can be different for every woman, so please refrain from telling the OP "it's not that bad" unless you've lived inside her body.

As you can probably tell by my tone, I can really relate to this, OP, at this exact moment. On Day 1 and Day 2, I just want to curl up in a nap. I'll push through too unless I'm literally debilitated from my cramps (this can happen to me from time to time), but regardless, the beginning my TOM always impacts my performance and energy levels. I've fallen asleep on the mat between crunch sets before.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    If you seam really tired maybe you should check your iron levels or take a iron supplement while on your period and/or a good prenatal vitamin Exercise seams to help my cramps actually.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    To be fair, periods can be pretty harsh. I mean, your body just spent 3 weeks getting the kid's room ready, found out you aren't going to use it, and is trashing the joint in a fit of rage. No wonder there's no energy for much beyond chocolate and Netflix.

Thanks this made me laugh so hard.