Going crazy here...(skin issue)

Options
2»

Replies

• bspringer544
    bspringer544 Posts: 155 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I was about to suggest Sebhorreic Dermatitis (which is what I have in chronic form). It's an itchy, flaky fungal infection that can affect the scalp, eyebrows, ears, etc. I even got it around my eye once. :(

The only problem is that you've said that showering exacerbates the issue which is the opposite effect that it has on SD, which spreads faster in oily environments ( unwashed hair).

It's not a natural remedy but go into the pharmacy section and look for Sebhorrea specific shampoos if you think you have it. You can also apply baby oil to your hair and affected areas, let it soak for 30min to an hour, then rinse it out VERY WELL (or else the baby oil will make it worse). This helps me a lot when I can't afford the medicated stuff.

I also wouldn't use tea tree oil. I was told by my doctor that it's very bad for scalp conditions.
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My dermatologist advises T/Sal shampoo, available in drug stores. I also use a prescription for flare-ups, but use it very sparingly. I've tried lots of natural remedies (many you and others described), but I resort to use the prescription when it gets really bad.

I've had psoriasis since I was a kid, sounds very similar to what you describe. A dermatologist will help out!

Nice to hear of some new ideas from this thread. I will be trying some out!
  • spilledmilk
    spilledmilk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, definitely see a dermatologist ASAP.

I have been using The Body Shop Ginger Scalp-care Shampoo for years and it is the only thing that will bring my own dandruff under control. It's worth a shot! I alternate it with Neutrogena clarifying shampoo once a week to help get rid of the oily build-up in my hair & roots.
  • Robo_mooh
    Robo_mooh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I suffer from eczema and sometimes an anti histamine / allergy tablets can help relieve symptoms in the short run!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Instead of b vitamin, just get a multivitamin to cover all bases. Psoriasis gets worse in winter. Fish oil pills can help. Hair loss could be a lack of protein and healthy fats in your diet.
  • JennyTor1
    JennyTor1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    A couple of thoughts:

--My sister had mild psioriaris and dandruff that went away completely when she gave up most dairy products.

--Some people diagnosed with gluten intolerance have dandruff, as well as itchy or flaky skin, as one of the symptoms.

Perhaps you could experiment a bit with your diet to see if eliminating either of those--dairy or gluten--improves your situation.