30KGs In 30 Weeks For My 30th Birthday?

Replies

• hbb86
    hbb86 Posts: 63 Member
    @hbb86 just be sure that you're mind is in the right place. It's important that you enjoy your journey and don't burn out before the finish line. If you're confident that you can maintain your deficit and are equally happy whether you do or do not achieve your goal then absolutely go for it! No, 2.2lbs isn't an excessive number. Yes, you got it if you want it! Just be careful, stay happy, and make healthy choices along the way.

Good luck ;)

Finally, someone who isn't negative. THANK YOU! I am enjoying it, I feel so proud of myself for reaching my nutrition goals and for exercising. I know I have a long way to go but thanks to my attitude and support from people like you, I know I will do it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    hbb86 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Thanks so much everyone!

I WILL do this. It's not a huge deficit. If you go to any nutritionist or doctor to ask for advice on how to loose weight they tell you "2lbs per week is what we aim for" and places such as weight watchers etc often see their members loose 5/6lbs per week. In a few cases, even more.

I love how supportive this forum can be but it can also be so negative. It's not like I'm trying to loose 100lbs in 3 months here. It's 2.2lbs a week and still you get debbie downers telling you it's most likely unachievable.

Disappointing.

I've lost 20 ish pounds in 6 weeks twice. Was it healthy? No. Do I recommend this to others? No.

So, while rapid weight loss is of course possible, being a good idea is a different story.

The "Debbie Downers" mostly just want to spare you from their mistakes.

I'm not doing rapid bleeding weight loss! 2lbs a week is perfectly attainable and healthy. Im not trying to loose 20lbs in 6 weeks, 12lbs is more like it.

I'm afraid you missed my point. I will try to clarify later.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Thanks so much everyone!

I WILL do this. It's not a huge deficit. If you go to any nutritionist or doctor to ask for advice on how to loose weight they tell you "2lbs per week is what we aim for" and places such as weight watchers etc often see their members loose 5/6lbs per week. In a few cases, even more.

I love how supportive this forum can be but it can also be so negative. It's not like I'm trying to loose 100lbs in 3 months here. It's 2.2lbs a week and still you get debbie downers telling you it's most likely unachievable.

Disappointing.

I don't see anybody being a debbie downer. Stop looking for offense where there isn't any.

WW does not support losses of 5/6 lbs per week after the first few weeks when the initial large water weight losses happen.

You may be able to lose that amount of weight within your timeline. I'm not going to tell you it is impossible because it's not absolutely impossible. Putting an arbitrary timeline (and yes, even a birthday is an arbitrary time goal) on weight loss is often not a good idea because as you get closer to that date and realize that you aren't going to make it, it can be very discouraging/dispiriting. Many people set a goal such as 25 pounds in 3 months and when they get to 2.75 months and realize they've "only" lost 15 or 18 pounds they freak out rather than seeing how far they've come. I hope that doesn't happen to you.

Well I did see that. Every person said "it's a big defecit, hard to maintain" "I wouldn't be able to do it" It's all negative and in my opinion, disheartening.

weight Watchers do encourage 5/6lbs weight loss - I've had family and friends use it. Perhaps it's different with different teachers.

As for the timeline, that's why I made it for September and made the healthy and realistic goal of 2lbs per week. I do appreciate your time and advice, I'm not being ungrateful, I just have read so much negativity both here and on other MFP boards that is just not helpful.

Thank you.

I didn't try to discourage you. I was being realistic. I wouldn't be able to do it. I can barely handle half a pound a week.

There's no need to lose weight that fast, you didn't gain it that quickly.

Do whatever you want. You asked for my opinion and I gave it.

• hbb86
    Get the impression that some people on here have had problems achieving their goals, so they think that I should be the same as them in order to justify it. I came on here for motivation and support. So far, I've seen such catty responses about how it is 'extreme'. If my doctor says to aim for 2lbs per week, then I think they know better than me, you or anyone else. If you have nothing positive to say. don't say it. It's disheartening and belittling.

If you didn't reach your goals, then I certainly do not take pleasure in knowing that but yet before I've even started, some of you are preparing me for failure. I would never do that to anyone. I get the impression that when I post on my birthday with my progress and if for what ever reason I don't reach my goal, some of you will say or think "I told you so". The majority of the comments are from women aswell which is even more disheartening, I always try to encourage people and in particular women. To see some people trying to make stupid points about what the legal disclaimer says on weight watchers is disappointing.

If any of you need encouragement, I'll be there. You won't ever hear "I told you so" from me.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    You specifically ASKED FOR THOUGHTS, and people very nicely gave you input that you may be overreaching. That's not being negative, it's just giving an opinion as asked. 2 lbs per week is difficult to sustain for 30 weeks, but only you know if it is "doable" or not. If you're committed and follow your nutrition plan, then you will likely succeed.
  • FaithfulJewel
    FaithfulJewel Posts: 177 Member
    While you may think people are being negative, by stating what happens to most people, in most cases, they're just letting you know what may eventually occur - that way, it won't come as a shock/annoyance/upset. They're trying to be helpful by ensuring you're not caught out - friendly and helpful advice from seasoned MFP users!

As for the weight loss aspect of it. I'm guessing you know how compound interest works on money? Pretend your body is a cash balance, but you're going *the other way*. With 128kg to start, if you lose 1-2% of your body weight every week, that weight loss every week will go down as your overall weight goes down. Not a bad thing! 1kg to a 150kg weight is not very much, but 1kg to a 75kg weight is quite a bit, hence people's comments about being aware it will become a bit more difficult as time goes on.

It can be done. It's a big goal, and some things you may encounter may cause it to be difficult to maintain 24/7 (have you got any events in the next 30 weeks, for example, that you may want to celebrate with food/alcohol?) but rather than setting it in stone, try and make it a lifestyle change. AIM for 30kg in 30 weeks, but try some things to get your muscles toned too, so the weight will be less of a factor as a combination of weight/inches/body fat.

Hope that helps and good luck :)
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    How many calories are you planning on eating for these 30 weeks?
  • kshama2001
    Get the impression that some people on here have had problems achieving their goals, so they think that I should be the same as them in order to justify it. I came on here for motivation and support. So far, I've seen such catty responses about how it is 'extreme'. If my doctor says to aim for 2lbs per week, then I think they know better than me, you or anyone else. If you have nothing positive to say. don't say it. It's disheartening and belittling.

If you didn't reach your goals, then I certainly do not take pleasure in knowing that but yet before I've even started, some of you are preparing me for failure. I would never do that to anyone. I get the impression that when I post on my birthday with my progress and if for what ever reason I don't reach my goal, some of you will say or think "I told you so". The majority of the comments are from women aswell which is even more disheartening, I always try to encourage people and in particular women. To see some people trying to make stupid points about what the legal disclaimer says on weight watchers is disappointing.

If any of you need encouragement, I'll be there. You won't ever hear "I told you so" from me.

It wasn't a stupid point. You said "weight Watchers do encourage 5/6lbs weight loss" and she was pointing out the official policy "If you’re consistently losing more than 2 pounds per week, you’re running the risk of becoming vulnerable to health risks.", which is also what I heard when I belonged to WW.

• hbb86
    You specifically ASKED FOR THOUGHTS, and people very nicely gave you input that you may be overreaching. That's not being negative, it's just giving an opinion as asked. 2 lbs per week is difficult to sustain for 30 weeks, but only you know if it is "doable" or not. If you're committed and follow your nutrition plan, then you will likely succeed.

Apparently typing in capital letters will make me re-read my own words more carefully? Erm, no. I know what I said, but as I said three times already, I came here for support not a way to prepare for failure. If all you came here to do was jump into an arguement you had nothing to do with, don't bother. As I said, my doctor recommends 2lbs per week, I'm pretty sure she knows better than any of us here.
  • hbb86
    kshama2001 wrote: »

It wasn't a stupid point. You said "weight Watchers do encourage 5/6lbs weight loss" and she was pointing out the official policy "If you’re consistently losing more than 2 pounds per week, you’re running the risk of becoming vulnerable to health risks.", which is also what I heard when I belonged to WW.

It is a stupid point when I had already said that different teachers might encourage different things and I even provided an example of a friend who lost 50lbs in 9 weeks and was told she was their star student. I'm not even using WW, and I certainly dont need anyone to quote a line from a legal disclaimer to me. I'm trying to loose 2lbs, not 5/6.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Well clearly you have the right attitude toward this. Best of luck.
  • hbb86
    Thanks so much everyone!

Disappointing.

I don't see anybody being a debbie downer. Stop looking for offense where there isn't any.

WW does not support losses of 5/6 lbs per week after the first few weeks when the initial large water weight losses happen.

You may be able to lose that amount of weight within your timeline. I'm not going to tell you it is impossible because it's not absolutely impossible. Putting an arbitrary timeline (and yes, even a birthday is an arbitrary time goal) on weight loss is often not a good idea because as you get closer to that date and realize that you aren't going to make it, it can be very discouraging/dispiriting. Many people set a goal such as 25 pounds in 3 months and when they get to 2.75 months and realize they've "only" lost 15 or 18 pounds they freak out rather than seeing how far they've come. I hope that doesn't happen to you.

Well I did see that. Every person said "it's a big defecit, hard to maintain" "I wouldn't be able to do it" It's all negative and in my opinion, disheartening.

weight Watchers do encourage 5/6lbs weight loss - I've had family and friends use it. Perhaps it's different with different teachers.

As for the timeline, that's why I made it for September and made the healthy and realistic goal of 2lbs per week. I do appreciate your time and advice, I'm not being ungrateful, I just have read so much negativity both here and on other MFP boards that is just not helpful.

Thank you.

Realism isn't discouragement. Pragmatism isn't negativity.

As for WW:
    If you’re losing more than 2 pounds a week on a regular basis, don’t shrug fast weight-loss off as “a nice problem to have.” Remember — a safe rate of weight loss is between .5 and 2 pounds per week. If you’re consistently losing more than 2 pounds per week, you’re running the risk of becoming vulnerable to health risks.
    Source: Adjusting Your PointsPlus Budget

Being a smartass gets you nowhere. Don't quote weight watchers to me when I JUST said it might be different with different teachers. Feel free to go prove your pointless arguement elsewhere.

Oh geez. OP, if you had clarified from the get go that this was going to be a mean people thread, I wouldn't have replied at all. Those are supposed to start on Thursdays, not Tuesdays. You totally threw me off with your early arrival. Clearly you are correct. Being a smartass hasn't helped me a bit.

I'm being mean? I came here for support and you instantly tried to prepare me for failure. You then quoted a line from the WW disclaimer about how much weightloss they should encourage. I'm not even using WW! I'm trying to loose 2lbs which judging by what you quoted, is what they recommend.

• 3bambi3
    OP - how many calories do you plan on eating?
  • hbb86
    MFP recommend 1400 for me, but because I want to loose a large amount of weight, I'm consuming less than 1200 and exercising on top of that :smile: )
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    edited January 2016
    Thanks so much everyone!

Disappointing.

Thank you.

Realism isn't discouragement. Pragmatism isn't negativity.

As for WW:
    If you’re losing more than 2 pounds a week on a regular basis, don’t shrug fast weight-loss off as “a nice problem to have.” Remember — a safe rate of weight loss is between .5 and 2 pounds per week. If you’re consistently losing more than 2 pounds per week, you’re running the risk of becoming vulnerable to health risks.
    Source: Adjusting Your PointsPlus Budget

Being a smartass gets you nowhere. Don't quote weight watchers to me when I JUST said it might be different with different teachers. Feel free to go prove your pointless arguement elsewhere.

Oh geez. OP, if you had clarified from the get go that this was going to be a mean people thread, I wouldn't have replied at all. Those are supposed to start on Thursdays, not Tuesdays. You totally threw me off with your early arrival. Clearly you are correct. Being a smartass hasn't helped me a bit.

I'm being mean? I came here for support and you instantly tried to prepare me for failure. You then quoted a line from the WW disclaimer about how much weightloss they should encourage. I'm not even using WW! I'm trying to loose 2lbs which judging by what you quoted, is what they recommend.

No, dear. You are turning this into a mean people thread, meaning that people have tried to give you good advice and provide a bit of caution and you've taken offense, decided that we are trying to discourage you, etc. That's a mean people thread. "You're being mean. You aren't providing the blind encouragement and endorsement of my goals that I want you to provide!"

As for WW, you said that WW sees its members lose 5/6 pounds. I simply stated that past the first few weeks of loss, WW doesn't encourage that type of loss. If you're going to bring up an argument to support your goal, you need to understand its context.
  • 3bambi3
    MFP recommend 1400 for me, but because I want to loose a large amount of weight, I'm consuming less than 1200 and exercising on top of that :smile: )

And therein lies the problem. You are netting less than 1000 calories a day, which isn't healthy or recommended.

You are clearly not looking for advice, just people who will validate your choices. Are you done logging for today? Because <700 calories per day is dangerous.
  • hbb86

You're doing it wrong.

According to my doctor, I'm doing it just right considering the nutritional values of the food I'm eating. I think she knows best. Point proven about the "I told you so" thing though.
  • kshama2001

You're doing it wrong.

According to my doctor, I'm doing it just right considering the nutritional values of the food I'm eating. I think she knows best. Point proven about the "I told you so" thing though.

Did you specifically tell your doctor you are planning on netting less than 1200 calories per day?