30KGs In 30 Weeks For My 30th Birthday?

1356

Replies

  • hbb86
    hbb86 Posts: 63 Member
    tomw86 wrote: »
    I think you need to calm down and re-evaluate your responses to people. No-one here wants you to fail at weight loss or to not hit the goal you have set yourself.

    Incidentally I am in a similar position to you, 29 years old and staring at the big birthday 11 months from now. The difference is that I don't have an end date for my journey, I've figured that this year is going to pass by whether I lose weight or not so I just want to be a better version of me after that length of time. I do have a rough idea of an end weight goal but I'll reach it when I reach it and not before.

    At our starting weights it is possible to lose 2lb a week comfortably but I have found that after several months it has slowed down - and I'm happy with that, frankly my loss at the start was way too fast for comfort and I'd have been better off eating more. Not that I was hungry but I was at risk of doing myself harm which is the opposite of what I'm aiming to achieve.

    The people here on MFP have a well deserved reputation for telling people what they need to hear - Not what they want to hear. And long may it continue to be so.

    You don't have to listen to those who have gone before but if you don't then I reserve the right to say 'i told you so' when the inevitable 'not losing - giving up' thread turns up.

    Just my tuppence worth and you can tell me to stuff it as much as you like.

    That is literally disgusting. I am trying my best at this and only asked for some encouragement. All I got back was 'you're doing it wrong' or 'prepare for failure'. The "inevitable" post where I fail? you literally have disgusted me with that. I would never wish failure on anyone, seems you would.

  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    hbb86 wrote: »
    hbb86 wrote: »
    MFP recommend 1400 for me, but because I want to loose a large amount of weight, I'm consuming less than 1200 and exercising on top of that :smile: )

    You're doing it wrong.

    According to my doctor, I'm doing it just right considering the nutritional values of the food I'm eating. I think she knows best. Point proven about the "I told you so" thing though.

    Did you specifically tell your doctor you are planning on netting less than 1200 calories per day?

    Not even netting less. Eating less than 1200 plus adding exercise.
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 244 Member
    You obviously know better than us.
    Netting under 1200 continuously is not a good plan but you don't want to hear us with honest replies you just wanted some cheerleaders to say 'yeah go you !'
  • hbb86
    hbb86 Posts: 63 Member
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    hbb86 wrote: »
    MFP recommend 1400 for me, but because I want to loose a large amount of weight, I'm consuming less than 1200 and exercising on top of that :smile: )

    And therein lies the problem. You are netting less than 1000 calories a day, which isn't healthy or recommended.

    You are clearly not looking for advice, just people who will validate your choices. Are you done logging for today? Because <700 calories per day is dangerous.

    Have you got anything positive to say or are you just here to have a pop? Anything for you people to say "Aha! I;m right you're wrong, you're doing it wrong". Hows about, "Hey, maybe try adding some more calories to your diet so you don't burn out too quickly"? Not, "THATS DANGEROUS!"

    I came here for support. As in "Good for you!! keep an eye on your sugars though ;)" not "Well you're going to fail and when you do, I'll be pleased".

  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    hbb86 wrote: »
    You specifically ASKED FOR THOUGHTS, and people very nicely gave you input that you may be overreaching. That's not being negative, it's just giving an opinion as asked. 2 lbs per week is difficult to sustain for 30 weeks, but only you know if it is "doable" or not. If you're committed and follow your nutrition plan, then you will likely succeed.

    Apparently typing in capital letters will make me re-read my own words more carefully? Erm, no. I know what I said, but as I said three times already, I came here for support not a way to prepare for failure. If all you came here to do was jump into an arguement you had nothing to do with, don't bother. As I said, my doctor recommends 2lbs per week, I'm pretty sure she knows better than any of us here.

    So if all you wanted was support, why didn't you post in the motivation and support thread, rather than the "Help" thread? You asked for help, people gave it, and now you're flying off the handle because they didn't 100% agree with your plan. You really couldn't act more childish if you tried.
    Congratulations on having the worst attitude of anyone I've seen on MFP. Maybe you should go back and re-read everyone's responses and re-evaluate your decisions.
  • hbb86
    hbb86 Posts: 63 Member
    You obviously know better than us.
    Netting under 1200 continuously is not a good plan but you don't want to hear us with honest replies you just wanted some cheerleaders to say 'yeah go you !'

    What's wrong with having some cheerleaders to encourage me? I don't mind people giving me advice, just don't say "you're going to fail". All you did for example was come on here and have a go at me. No advice whatsoever. Whats the point in that?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,878 Member
    hbb86 wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    hbb86 wrote: »
    MFP recommend 1400 for me, but because I want to loose a large amount of weight, I'm consuming less than 1200 and exercising on top of that :smile: )

    And therein lies the problem. You are netting less than 1000 calories a day, which isn't healthy or recommended.

    You are clearly not looking for advice, just people who will validate your choices. Are you done logging for today? Because <700 calories per day is dangerous.

    Have you got anything positive to say or are you just here to have a pop? Anything for you people to say "Aha! I;m right you're wrong, you're doing it wrong". Hows about, "Hey, maybe try adding some more calories to your diet so you don't burn out too quickly"? Not, "THATS DANGEROUS!"

    I came here for support. As in "Good for you!! keep an eye on your sugars though ;)" not "Well you're going to fail and when you do, I'll be pleased".

    Hey. You should add some more calories to your diet so you don't burn out too quickly.

    You don't want to lose weight at the expense of your health, energy, and lean muscle mass. If you restrict too much, your body will target your muscle instead of your fat (which is what I'm assuming you want to lose). Eating enough will help you feel better while you lose weight and probably look better when you're done losing it.
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 244 Member
    hbb86 wrote: »
    You specifically ASKED FOR THOUGHTS, and people very nicely gave you input that you may be overreaching. That's not being negative, it's just giving an opinion as asked. 2 lbs per week is difficult to sustain for 30 weeks, but only you know if it is "doable" or not. If you're committed and follow your nutrition plan, then you will likely succeed.

    Apparently typing in capital letters will make me re-read my own words more carefully? Erm, no. I know what I said, but as I said three times already, I came here for support not a way to prepare for failure. If all you came here to do was jump into an arguement you had nothing to do with, don't bother. As I said, my doctor recommends 2lbs per week, I'm pretty sure she knows better than any of us here.

    So if all you wanted was support, why didn't you post in the motivation and support thread, rather than the "Help" thread? You asked for help, people gave it, and now you're flying off the handle because they didn't 100% agree with your plan. You really couldn't act more childish if you tried.
    Congratulations on having the worst attitude of anyone I've seen on MFP. Maybe you should go back and re-read everyone's responses and re-evaluate your decisions.

    +1
  • FaithfulJewel
    FaithfulJewel Posts: 177 Member
    As for the weight loss aspect of it. I'm guessing you know how compound interest works on money? Pretend your body is a cash balance, but you're going *the other way*. With 128kg to start, if you lose 1-2% of your body weight every week, that weight loss every week will go down as your overall weight goes down. Not a bad thing! 1kg to a 150kg weight is not very much, but 1kg to a 75kg weight is quite a bit, hence people's comments about being aware it will become a bit more difficult as time goes on.

    I just felt like repeating myself because I'm possibly the only one who hasn't been quoted and I'm feeling left out...
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited January 2016
    hbb86 wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    hbb86 wrote: »
    MFP recommend 1400 for me, but because I want to loose a large amount of weight, I'm consuming less than 1200 and exercising on top of that :smile: )

    And therein lies the problem. You are netting less than 1000 calories a day, which isn't healthy or recommended.

    You are clearly not looking for advice, just people who will validate your choices. Are you done logging for today? Because <700 calories per day is dangerous.

    Have you got anything positive to say or are you just here to have a pop? Anything for you people to say "Aha! I;m right you're wrong, you're doing it wrong". Hows about, "Hey, maybe try adding some more calories to your diet so you don't burn out too quickly"? Not, "THATS DANGEROUS!"

    I came here for support. As in "Good for you!! keep an eye on your sugars though ;)" not "Well you're going to fail and when you do, I'll be pleased".

    Here's some genuine questions: How will you feel in 30 weeks if you don't hit your goal? Or if you eat over your calorie allowance for some days during the 30 weeks?

    Because your responses in this thread seem to indicate that your reaction to failure would be, in the gentlest word possible, bad. If even the *suggestion* that you may not reach your goal has you this up in arms, what's going to happen if you don't reach goal? Because eating only 700 calories per day for 30 weeks and exercising can lead to numerous health problems that will make it harder to accomplish any goals. Especially if those goals include keeping your hair and healthy organs.
  • hbb86
    hbb86 Posts: 63 Member
    hbb86 wrote: »
    You specifically ASKED FOR THOUGHTS, and people very nicely gave you input that you may be overreaching. That's not being negative, it's just giving an opinion as asked. 2 lbs per week is difficult to sustain for 30 weeks, but only you know if it is "doable" or not. If you're committed and follow your nutrition plan, then you will likely succeed.

    Apparently typing in capital letters will make me re-read my own words more carefully? Erm, no. I know what I said, but as I said three times already, I came here for support not a way to prepare for failure. If all you came here to do was jump into an arguement you had nothing to do with, don't bother. As I said, my doctor recommends 2lbs per week, I'm pretty sure she knows better than any of us here.

    So if all you wanted was support, why didn't you post in the motivation and support thread, rather than the "Help" thread? You asked for help, people gave it, and now you're flying off the handle because they didn't 100% agree with your plan. You really couldn't act more childish if you tried.
    Congratulations on having the worst attitude of anyone I've seen on MFP. Maybe you should go back and re-read everyone's responses and re-evaluate your decisions.

    Why don't you re-read what I said? I have a bad attitude yet every single person who commented on my post said I wasnt going to achieve my goal? Well done for jumping on the bullying bandwagon. I've read other forums before who have said MFP have some horrible people but I have always defended it. I'm very sorry for not posting this in the motivation section - there you go, You win.
  • hbb86
    hbb86 Posts: 63 Member
    hbb86 wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    hbb86 wrote: »
    MFP recommend 1400 for me, but because I want to loose a large amount of weight, I'm consuming less than 1200 and exercising on top of that :smile: )

    And therein lies the problem. You are netting less than 1000 calories a day, which isn't healthy or recommended.

    You are clearly not looking for advice, just people who will validate your choices. Are you done logging for today? Because <700 calories per day is dangerous.

    Have you got anything positive to say or are you just here to have a pop? Anything for you people to say "Aha! I;m right you're wrong, you're doing it wrong". Hows about, "Hey, maybe try adding some more calories to your diet so you don't burn out too quickly"? Not, "THATS DANGEROUS!"

    I came here for support. As in "Good for you!! keep an eye on your sugars though ;)" not "Well you're going to fail and when you do, I'll be pleased".

    Hey. You should add some more calories to your diet so you don't burn out too quickly.

    You don't want to lose weight at the expense of your health, energy, and lean muscle mass. If you restrict too much, your body will target your muscle instead of your fat (which is what I'm assuming you want to lose). Eating enough will help you feel better while you lose weight and probably look better when you're done losing it.

    Thank you very much! I will look into that

    Just FYI - this was all I was looking for. Friendly advice that encouraged me at the same time.
  • hbb86
    hbb86 Posts: 63 Member
    As for the weight loss aspect of it. I'm guessing you know how compound interest works on money? Pretend your body is a cash balance, but you're going *the other way*. With 128kg to start, if you lose 1-2% of your body weight every week, that weight loss every week will go down as your overall weight goes down. Not a bad thing! 1kg to a 150kg weight is not very much, but 1kg to a 75kg weight is quite a bit, hence people's comments about being aware it will become a bit more difficult as time goes on.

    I just felt like repeating myself because I'm possibly the only one who hasn't been quoted and I'm feeling left out...

    Haha sorry! I completely get it, thank you for your advice and encouragement. I'm not new to dieting, I've tried and failed in other ways. This time, I've done it completely differently. I'm eating really well and doing everything I can possibly think to do. I didn't realise that made me a devil on these boards.

    I've spent my whole life overweight and have encouraged a lot of people to reach their goals. Maybe I expected too much from the board - I just thought I would receive the same encouragement I have given others :)
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    hbb86 wrote: »
    hbb86 wrote: »
    You specifically ASKED FOR THOUGHTS, and people very nicely gave you input that you may be overreaching. That's not being negative, it's just giving an opinion as asked. 2 lbs per week is difficult to sustain for 30 weeks, but only you know if it is "doable" or not. If you're committed and follow your nutrition plan, then you will likely succeed.

    Apparently typing in capital letters will make me re-read my own words more carefully? Erm, no. I know what I said, but as I said three times already, I came here for support not a way to prepare for failure. If all you came here to do was jump into an arguement you had nothing to do with, don't bother. As I said, my doctor recommends 2lbs per week, I'm pretty sure she knows better than any of us here.

    So if all you wanted was support, why didn't you post in the motivation and support thread, rather than the "Help" thread? You asked for help, people gave it, and now you're flying off the handle because they didn't 100% agree with your plan. You really couldn't act more childish if you tried.
    Congratulations on having the worst attitude of anyone I've seen on MFP. Maybe you should go back and re-read everyone's responses and re-evaluate your decisions.

    Why don't you re-read what I said? I have a bad attitude yet every single person who commented on my post said I wasnt going to achieve my goal? Well done for jumping on the bullying bandwagon. I've read other forums before who have said MFP have some horrible people but I have always defended it. I'm very sorry for not posting this in the motivation section - there you go, You win.

    The majority of people actually say that your goal is achievable, myself included. But I'm done. I'm sorry you feel bullied by people who took time out of their day to try to help you in a thread where you were just looking for blind support.
  • sueann10
    sueann10 Posts: 74 Member
    Hi OP
    The reason everyone here is giving you this advice is because we have all been like you at one point, ie thinking that 2lbs is a reasonable and achievable weight loss. We read previously in magazines, newspapers, doctor's office etc that up to 2lbs is a healthy weight loss per week so we decided to give it ago. Having tried it, we all realised in fact it was not doable in any way and understand the road is indeed difficult. Weight Loss is not linear and once you understand this, you might understand why you are being given the advice above.

    No one is trying to discourage you but to spare you from the reality and mistakes that every newbie faces - Me included. Please try it and I am sure we are all rooting for your success but maybe you should read the advice below which is one of the "must read" posts on MFP. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1318741/in-5-weeks-youll-lose-10lbs-why-is-it-not-working/p1

    All the best on your journey.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,878 Member
    edited January 2016
    hbb86 wrote: »
    As for the weight loss aspect of it. I'm guessing you know how compound interest works on money? Pretend your body is a cash balance, but you're going *the other way*. With 128kg to start, if you lose 1-2% of your body weight every week, that weight loss every week will go down as your overall weight goes down. Not a bad thing! 1kg to a 150kg weight is not very much, but 1kg to a 75kg weight is quite a bit, hence people's comments about being aware it will become a bit more difficult as time goes on.

    I just felt like repeating myself because I'm possibly the only one who hasn't been quoted and I'm feeling left out...

    Haha sorry! I completely get it, thank you for your advice and encouragement. I'm not new to dieting, I've tried and failed in other ways. This time, I've done it completely differently. I'm eating really well and doing everything I can possibly think to do. I didn't realise that made me a devil on these boards.

    I've spent my whole life overweight and have encouraged a lot of people to reach their goals. Maybe I expected too much from the board - I just thought I would receive the same encouragement I have given others :)

    For what it is worth, I have found people here to be very encouraging, but also very honest. If people have a plan that is potentially dangerous or puts them at a high risk of disappointment/not meeting their goals, it's going to be called out.

    I'd rather hang out someplace where people are honest with me than a site where people encourage every goal and every plan. I understand that isn't for everybody though.

    If you truly don't like the atmosphere here, that's fine. Not every forum is for everybody -- there are places online I dislike too. But why not just go instead of this drawn out back-and-forth? This obviously isn't making you feel good.
  • hbb86
    hbb86 Posts: 63 Member
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    hbb86 wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    hbb86 wrote: »
    MFP recommend 1400 for me, but because I want to loose a large amount of weight, I'm consuming less than 1200 and exercising on top of that :smile: )

    And therein lies the problem. You are netting less than 1000 calories a day, which isn't healthy or recommended.

    You are clearly not looking for advice, just people who will validate your choices. Are you done logging for today? Because <700 calories per day is dangerous.

    Have you got anything positive to say or are you just here to have a pop? Anything for you people to say "Aha! I;m right you're wrong, you're doing it wrong". Hows about, "Hey, maybe try adding some more calories to your diet so you don't burn out too quickly"? Not, "THATS DANGEROUS!"

    I came here for support. As in "Good for you!! keep an eye on your sugars though ;)" not "Well you're going to fail and when you do, I'll be pleased".

    Here's some genuine questions: How will you feel in 30 weeks if you don't hit your goal? Or if you eat over your calorie allowance for some days during the 30 weeks?

    Because your responses in this thread seem to indicate that your reaction to failure would be, in the gentlest word possible, bad. If even the *suggestion* that you may not reach your goal has you this up in arms, what's going to happen if you don't reach goal? Because eating only 700 calories per day for 30 weeks and exercising can lead to numerous health problems that will make it harder to accomplish any goals. Especially if those goals include keeping your hair and healthy organs.

    I don't typically consume less than 700 calories and I'm not done logging for the day. I've been overweight my entire life. I've tried every diet under the sun. This time, I've done it completely differently. I am doing everything I can possibly think of and my doctor recommended coming on to a forum like MFP for encouragement which is what I did. I probably should have posted it in the motivation section, but I didn't.

    If I don't reach my goal, I don't reach it. I've made next to no goals in my life in many different aspects so all I wanted to do was set one and work hard. That's it.
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 244 Member
    No one wants you to fail, they are just trying to save you the pitfalls we have all had previously.
    Give the goal mfp has set a try, it already has a deficit set in , lose steady and keep it off , it's not a race , weight loss is the journey Maintence is the goal
  • hbb86
    hbb86 Posts: 63 Member
    sueann10 wrote: »
    Hi OP
    The reason everyone here is giving you this advice is because we have all been like you at one point, ie thinking that 2lbs is a reasonable and achievable weight loss. We read previously in magazines, newspapers, doctor's office etc that up to 2lbs is a healthy weight loss per week so we decided to give it ago. Having tried it, we all realised in fact it was not doable in any way and understand the road is indeed difficult. Weight Loss is not linear and once you understand this, you might understand why you are being given the advice above.

    No one is trying to discourage you but to spare you from the reality and mistakes that every newbie faces - Me included. Please try it and I am sure we are all rooting for your success but maybe you should read the advice below which is one of the "must read" posts on MFP. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1318741/in-5-weeks-youll-lose-10lbs-why-is-it-not-working/p1

    All the best on your journey.

    Thank you so much.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,273 Member
    hbb86 wrote: »
    hbb86 wrote: »
    You specifically ASKED FOR THOUGHTS, and people very nicely gave you input that you may be overreaching. That's not being negative, it's just giving an opinion as asked. 2 lbs per week is difficult to sustain for 30 weeks, but only you know if it is "doable" or not. If you're committed and follow your nutrition plan, then you will likely succeed.

    Apparently typing in capital letters will make me re-read my own words more carefully? Erm, no. I know what I said, but as I said three times already, I came here for support not a way to prepare for failure. If all you came here to do was jump into an arguement you had nothing to do with, don't bother. As I said, my doctor recommends 2lbs per week, I'm pretty sure she knows better than any of us here.

    So if all you wanted was support, why didn't you post in the motivation and support thread, rather than the "Help" thread? You asked for help, people gave it, and now you're flying off the handle because they didn't 100% agree with your plan. You really couldn't act more childish if you tried.
    Congratulations on having the worst attitude of anyone I've seen on MFP. Maybe you should go back and re-read everyone's responses and re-evaluate your decisions.

    Why don't you re-read what I said? I have a bad attitude yet every single person who commented on my post said I wasnt going to achieve my goal? Well done for jumping on the bullying bandwagon. I've read other forums before who have said MFP have some horrible people but I have always defended it. I'm very sorry for not posting this in the motivation section - there you go, You win.

    Just half of the first page. All of these people wished you luck in your endeavor or said good luck, go ahead and try, etc.:
    While it is probably ok (less than 1% of your bodyweight per week), it'll be hard to sustain that rate for 30 weeks.
    It's not impossible, though most people here seem to find it's easier at the start and then slows down. Why not try it and see?
    Just bear this in mind that the rate for weight-loss will be much slower as you're getting closer to your goal weight. If it does happen (and will probably happen), please tell yourself don't be frustrated and just keep going! Turning 30 is a really good motivation... so good luck for a healthy, permanent weight-loss :smile:
    You could try it, I wouldn't be able to do it though. Such a large deficit is hard to maintain for so long. But good luck to you! :)
    Good luck to you if you think you can achieve it .
    wkwebby wrote: »
    This is totally doable.