Apple Cider Vinegar

Options
I just started drinking apple cider vinegar with honey, and I try to do it twice a day. I've only been doing it a couple of days, and it tastes awful! The health benefits seem worth the yuckiness it, and the honey does seem to help the taste.

Anyone have experience with this?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    What health benefits?
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I love it mixed with water and just use it as a flavouring. Dunno about the health benefits but makes DH feel like he is doing something healthy :)
  • chuck6w
    chuck6w Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I mix up a concoction of 1/2 lemon, 2 Tbs of ACV, 2 Tbs honey, 1 tsp cinnimon, 1/2 tsp turmeric and about 2 cups of warm water. I give it an occasional stir as I drink it. All the items in the drink have good health benefits.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    What health benefits?

Placebo
  • jennynorthern759
    jennynorthern759 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It can help with weight loss if used consistently for weeks to months. It has heart healthy benefits, amino acids and antioxidants. It can also lower blood sugar levels and lower bad cholesterol. I've also heard people say it helps with pain but not sure if there are studies to back this up.
  • jennynorthern759
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe chuck6w!
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    It can help with weight loss if used consistently for weeks to months. It has heart healthy benefits, amino acids and antioxidants. It can also lower blood sugar levels and lower bad cholesterol. I've also heard people say it helps with pain but not sure if there are studies to back this up.

Weight loss - only a calorie deficit helps for that.
    Heart health - Cardio
    Amino acids - meat
    Antioxidants - berries and green tea and dark chocolate
    Blood sugar levels - protein and fat
    Bad cholesterol - yeah, well, don't eat it.
    Pain - painkillers.

No apple cider needed. :grimace:
  • jennynorthern759
    Options
    Thanks for the tips
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,418 Member
    Options
    Tried it daily for a while, the first thing in the morning regimen - was not convinced by the rhetoric, but I sometimes try things that I think won't hurt me, to see for myself. It seemed to give me more frequent acid reflux (which I guess shouldn't be a huge surprise), and I didn't see any particular benefits.

Biggest issue: Not very yummy. Life is too short for food/drink that doesn't taste good, when there's plenty of tasty stuff that's good for me. I do still use it in the occasional recipe.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    elaineamj wrote: »
    I love it mixed with water and just use it as a flavouring. Dunno about the health benefits but makes DH feel like he is doing something healthy :)

??

My DH thinks eating Doritos instead of Cheetos is "doing something healthy."

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

I have yet to see a reputable study showing any weight loss benefit to ACV. There's no plausible mechanism by which it could help in any way.

I don't see how it can possibly have any amino acids (beneficial or otherwise), because amino acids are only found in proteins and there is no protein in ACV.
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips

Surely "Thanks for the facts" ?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I tried it and it ended up doing damage to my throat. Careful, make sure you drink a glass of water after.
    Did not help me lose any weight. Just tasted so bad, that took my appetite away for an hour.
  • ahawkx
    ahawkx Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I couldn't stand the stuff. I just take it in tablet form now, but it's been a couple months and haven't noticed any positive changes either.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    elaineamj wrote: »

??

My DH thinks eating Doritos instead of Cheetos is "doing something healthy."

LOL - my DH has some very weird ideas about nutrition stuck in his head. e.g. he considers meat "bad" and thinks its so much healthier to eat a big bowl of pasta in alfredo sauce vs a piece of chicken.

I do think ACV in water is yummy, so I have no issues drinking it. Tastes just as good as juice to me so satisfies any juice cravings.
  • tamh170obust
    tamh170obust Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It definitely works for suppressing appetite and there are many claims of detoxifying your body. Also I have friends that swear its helped them shed pounds and gain energy placebo maybe... but worth the shot for me
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It definitely works for suppressing appetite and there are many claims of detoxifying your body. Also I have friends that swear its helped them shed pounds and gain energy placebo maybe... but worth the shot for me

Regarding the suppression of appetite: what studies are you referring to?
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

I tried ACV once for constipation, deluted in water. And then I had to add more water. and more water. I choked down maybe 4 oz and all it did was make me queasy. It did not help with constipation. I fail to see how this would help with weight loss, unless you're trying to induce vomiting. But more power to those who like the taste in their water-we add lemon to our water, right?

As far as detoxing....*sigh*. Detox from what? Unless you're an alcoholic, opiate addict, or are in liver or kidney failure, there is no reason to detox.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    ACV 'benefits' is a bunch of derp and woo, I'm afraid. Especially since the site that is the biggest supporter of it also manufactures it. Major deal-breaker for me.

And it tastes like azz. ;)

I will admit that when I first started losing weight, I tried it. I couldn't stomach it. Literally. Then I got educated about it. Then I stopped using it.

You live, you learn. ;)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Source, please.