Options
2»

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    That said, a lot of people confuse hunger with thirst...so in that sense maybe. Also, staying hydrated is going to help your body function optimally, including your metabolism...

I've seen this one quoted so many times and it still doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm just a speshul snowflake, but my body knows the difference between hunger and thirst. If I'm hungry and chug a big glass of water, now I'm just hungry and sloshy. Or maybe it applies differently to chronically dehydrated/under-hydrated people or something, but it's never done the trick for me.

I do agree 100% that it's a good thing to stay adequately hydrated, though. It won't do a thing for weight loss, but there are plenty of other good reasons.

Thank you! It is the same for me! I do drink a lot of water, but drinking water does not fill me up. I am still hungry!

Isn't it the other way around? You seem to be saying that if your hungry and drink something, you are still hungry.

My understanding it's the other way around. People get thirsty and eat food thinking they are hungry when really they just needed some water.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    For me it's helped because I don't get hungry as much and when I do its more of a "I should eat something" hunger instead of a "who do I need to kill to eat" hunger
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    That said, a lot of people confuse hunger with thirst...so in that sense maybe. Also, staying hydrated is going to help your body function optimally, including your metabolism...

I've seen this one quoted so many times and it still doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm just a speshul snowflake, but my body knows the difference between hunger and thirst. If I'm hungry and chug a big glass of water, now I'm just hungry and sloshy. Or maybe it applies differently to chronically dehydrated/under-hydrated people or something, but it's never done the trick for me.

I do agree 100% that it's a good thing to stay adequately hydrated, though. It won't do a thing for weight loss, but there are plenty of other good reasons.

Thank you! It is the same for me! I do drink a lot of water, but drinking water does not fill me up. I am still hungry!

Isn't it the other way around? You seem to be saying that if your hungry and drink something, you are still hungry.

My understanding it's the other way around. People get thirsty and eat food thinking they are hungry when really they just needed some water.

That's exactly what I was saying made no sense to me. Not knowing the difference between hunger and thirst. At least for me, they're two distinctly different feelings. They're not even controlled by the same mechanisms in the body. Hunger and satiety are triggered mostly by the hormones ghrelin and leptin (respectively), while thirst is controlled by receptors and CNS signals related to cell volume and osmolality.
  • chereenbruce850503
    chereenbruce850503 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your reply. I am going to start replacing the high in sugar and high calorie drinks with water. And start counting calories better.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Yes, drinking water will help you lose weight. It cleanses your body of harmful toxins, and some of those harmful toxins can be considered in the form of extra mass that you don't want. So every time you urinate, you're also relieving yourself of unsightly and unwanted mass that you're body has built up over time. It's pretty much scientific knowledge at this point.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options

I agree. Every time I read about the possibility of confusing thirst with hunger I think "it would take a really stupid person . . . "
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Yes, drinking water will help you lose weight. It cleanses your body of harmful toxins, and some of those harmful toxins can be considered in the form of extra mass that you don't want. So every time you urinate, you're also relieving yourself of unsightly and unwanted mass that you're body has built up over time. It's pretty much scientific knowledge at this point.

No. Just no.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Pawsforme wrote: »

No. Just no.

1803.jpeg
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The one banana short of a bunch aside, there is some research suggesting that drinking water is associated with weight loss in overweight women regardless of diet or activity. To be specific, these were women who drank less than 1 litre per day and this may be due to improved fat mobilisation via a hydrated state vs a partially dehydrated state, but have a look for yourself and if you know of research supporting or contesting this do let me know:

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2008.409/full
    Abstract
    Background: Data from short-term experiments suggest that drinking water may promote weight loss by lowering total energy intake and/or altering metabolism. The long-term effects of drinking water on change in body weight and composition are unknown, however.

Objective: This study tested for associations between absolute and relative increases in drinking water and weight loss over 12 months.

Methods and Procedures: Secondary analyses were conducted on data from the Stanford A TO Z weight loss intervention on 173 premenopausal overweight women (aged 25–50 years) who reported <1 l/day drinking water at baseline. Diet, physical activity, body weight, percent body fat (dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry), and waist circumference were assessed at baseline, 2, 6, and 12 months. At each time point, mean daily intakes of drinking water, noncaloric, unsweetened caloric (e.g., 100% fruit juice, milk) and sweetened caloric beverages, and food energy and nutrients were estimated using three unannounced 24-h diet recalls. Beverage intake was expressed in absolute (g) and relative terms (% of beverages). Mixed models were used to test for effects of absolute and relative increases in drinking water on changes in weight and body composition, controlling for baseline status, diet group, and changes in other beverage intake, the amount and composition of foods consumed and physical activity.

Results: Absolute and relative increases in drinking water were associated with significant loss of body weight and fat over time, independent of covariates.

Discussion: The results suggest that drinking water may promote weight loss in overweight dieting women.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    VisofSer wrote: »
    The one banana short of a bunch aside, there is some research suggesting that drinking water is associated with weight loss in overweight women regardless of diet or activity. To be specific, these were women who drank less than 1 litre per day and this may be due to improved fat mobilisation via a hydrated state vs a partially dehydrated state, but have a look for yourself and if you know of research supporting or contesting this do let me know:

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2008.409/full
    Abstract
    Background: Data from short-term experiments suggest that drinking water may promote weight loss by lowering total energy intake and/or altering metabolism. The long-term effects of drinking water on change in body weight and composition are unknown, however.

Objective: This study tested for associations between absolute and relative increases in drinking water and weight loss over 12 months.

Methods and Procedures: Secondary analyses were conducted on data from the Stanford A TO Z weight loss intervention on 173 premenopausal overweight women (aged 25–50 years) who reported <1 l/day drinking water at baseline. Diet, physical activity, body weight, percent body fat (dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry), and waist circumference were assessed at baseline, 2, 6, and 12 months. At each time point, mean daily intakes of drinking water, noncaloric, unsweetened caloric (e.g., 100% fruit juice, milk) and sweetened caloric beverages, and food energy and nutrients were estimated using three unannounced 24-h diet recalls. Beverage intake was expressed in absolute (g) and relative terms (% of beverages). Mixed models were used to test for effects of absolute and relative increases in drinking water on changes in weight and body composition, controlling for baseline status, diet group, and changes in other beverage intake, the amount and composition of foods consumed and physical activity.

Results: Absolute and relative increases in drinking water were associated with significant loss of body weight and fat over time, independent of covariates.

Discussion: The results suggest that drinking water may promote weight loss in overweight dieting women.

Pretty shabby study, though. No control group, no regulation of calories or water intake, all stats gathered (and estimated) by three self-reported 24-hour diet recalls. There's really not much reliable/usable information there at all.