Weight is stuck and trying low carbs....

Options
yanicka
yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
I never tried low carbs before and hopefully I won't want to kill someone. My weight is stuck and I really need to try something else. Do you have any advice for me. What to eat, what not to eat... how to survive... be carefull about this ... think about that...

I would really appreciate.

Replies

• CodyD18
    CodyD18 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have tried low carb a while back. I didn't like it. I felt so horrible and I never had any energy. I didn't notice any extra weight loss either. But that's me personally. Other people have had success with low carb. I've been vegan for 3 months and I love it!
  • sandyw127
    sandyw127 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    try lookin at ur sodium... my scale wasnt moving either until i started to track it and wow when i looked back there were days i was wayyyy over. now im anal about keeping it under and the scale is moving again.
  • smbugi
    smbugi Posts: 35
    Options
    Low carbs definitely has worked for me. I changed my diet 2 weeks ago and I've lost 14.2 lbs. in 14 days. I've NEVER done that in my life! I'm eating lean meat (chicken and fish mostly), lots of veggies and low glycemic fruits (strawberries, apples, oranges, grapefruit are all great!). I've cut out starch and anything other than natural sugar. 2-3 fruit servings a day, 2 proteins, and 4 veggies. Hope this helps! It's working for me. :happy:
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    make your diary open for us ...
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I've done low carb and have found it works best if you do it with natural foods. By this I mean, don't go buy a bunch of low carb breads, snack bars, shakes, etc. Instead stick with meats, eggs, veggies, and nuts. I also don't eat any fruit other than berries when I'm trying to cut carbs. Finally, don't be afraid of intaking more healthy fats than you typically would (from things like avocados, olives, and nuts)--if I try to go low fat and low carb at the same time, I end up hungry and cranky :noway: LOL!

Good luck =)
  • jjclem07
    jjclem07 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I just learned from a trainer that people tend either be carb sensitive or calorie sensitive. Which means that if a person was on a low calorie diet but still have high carbs they may not lose the weight, but if they switch it to a low carb diet they lose a ton of weight. Others just are calorie sensitive where all they need to do is cut calories and they lose weight.

I was on a regular cut the calorie diet and I lost a couple of pounds, but nothing worth the 2 month diet I was one. I switched to a low carb/80% vegetarian diet and I have lost 17lbs in 1 month. So, I am a carb sensitive person. I respond to a Lo-carb diet better. I feel great!
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Try 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein. It's a really good balance. Plus it's a good transition in case you decide to go really low carb.
  • mfkfoster
    mfkfoster Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I was stuck last month for about 2 months I was losing and gaining the same 5 pounds. I started going low carb anf I've lost about 15 pounds in the last month. I'm staying with it for about 2 more months and if I get stuck again I'll change back to low fat/low cal. I normally stick to below 70 grams of carbs and my cal goal is 1370 cals a day.
  • yanicka
    Options
    Anyone doing this life style want to show me your diary? TY

I also want to add that I have POCS. I am one of the lucky few that is not overweight and do not have fertility problems but it makes it really hard to lose weight. I have been at this since november and lost 14 pounds.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    First of all, if you are just wanting to try it, DON”T you will only be disappointed and we don’t need another “I tried it and it didn’t work” person spreading misinformation. BUT if you really want to give it a real chance, buy the Atkins book AND READ IT, the whole thing before you even consider doing it. Then DO IT like it is laid out in the book, not how your neighbor, or sister, or someone on here says it should be done.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options

I also want to add that I have POCS. I am one of the lucky few that is not overweight and do not have fertility problems but it makes it really hard to lose weight. I have been at this since november and lost 14 pounds.

I say give it a good try, but longer than two weeks. I would say commit to at least 30 days whole heartedly! and see where you stand then. Low carb does wonders for POCS.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

I'm basically primal diet and my diary is open :)
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    OP, I agree with Miss Kim and Freerange! Don't try to do this on a whim. Read the book, follow the plan, don't cheat. Commit for at least 30 days. You will get "carb flu" for a few days, but don't let that dissuade you. When you come out on the other side, and your body is burning fat for fuel, instead of carbs, you'll feel great!
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    try lookin at ur sodium... my scale wasnt moving either until i started to track it and wow when i looked back there were days i was wayyyy over. now im anal about keeping it under and the scale is moving again.
    Sodium has no bearing on body fat, rather water weight. It's completely irrelevant to body composition.
    I never tried low carbs before and hopefully I won't want to kill someone. My weight is stuck and I really need to try something else. Do you have any advice for me. What to eat, what not to eat... how to survive... be carefull about this ... think about that...

If you aren't insulin resistant, then low carb won't yield any added benefits that can't be found in a diet more moderate in carbs.
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Try 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein. It's a really good balance. Plus it's a good transition in case you decide to go really low carb.

I found a great study that compares High fat/low carb to High carb/low fat diets and the high fat diet won hands down across the board, especially with blood cholesterol/lipid panels. Triglycerides and HDL all came back into healthy ranges on the high fat diet compared to the low fat/High carb groups (Ornish as an example). By high fat the ranges had to be over 50% fats, 30% proteins and only 20% or less of carbohydrates. We have been fed a load of crap about what healthy eating looks like. Saturated fats are not your enemy, they are our friend and our bodies love us when we eat them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo&feature=player_embedded#at=1466
    This is the study done at Stanford University, by a practicing vegetarian nutritionist professor, I might add. So he was not biased towards the low carb group.
  • LaJauna
    Options
    deleted double post
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

It's hard to say without knowing all of your stats and calorie goals right now. If you're satisfied with your Calorie goal for achieving what you want try adjusting the percentages of your daily calories to something like, Protein 40%, Carbs 25%, Fat 35%. What carbs you do eat should be solid carbs, minimize / eliminate breads if you can stand it. Try and consume some good fats. You can adjust these values up-and-down as you plateau but don't do an Atkins Diet type thing because the diet doesn't really restrict the calorie intake. You can still gain weight on a low-carb diet, so stay within your calorie target.
  • yanicka
    Options
    Thank you everyone. After reaserch I will do 50% fats, 30% proteins and 20% carbs. For me it something I can do in my everyday life. I will give it at least 30 days and probably even more because we all know how surprises can happen and there is a learning curve (like when we start counting calories LOL)

Love
  • LaJauna
    Options

It's hard to say without knowing all of your stats and calorie goals right now. If you're satisfied with your Calorie goal for achieving what you want try adjusting the percentages of your daily calories to something like, Protein 40%, Carbs 25%, Fat 35%. What carbs you do eat should be solid carbs, minimize / eliminate breads if you can stand it. Try and consume some good fats. You can adjust these values up-and-down as you plateau but don't do an Atkins Diet type thing because the diet doesn't really restrict the calorie intake. You can still gain weight on a low-carb diet, so stay within your calorie target.

You really should read the book. You don't need to count calories if you keep your carbs under 50 grams a day or less. Your body will prefer to burn fat if you have any on your body at that level. My target is 2000+ cals a day but rarely eat that much because low carbing has eliminated my cravings and I am satisfied much longer without all the carbage. I have lost 8.2 lbs since Monday. My micro-nutrient goals are 5% carbs, 25% protein and 70% FAT. Yummmmmm . I have been recommending everyone go and watch an amazing You Tube video filmed at a lecture from Stanford University. It is a nutritionist (vegetarian, I might add) that did a year long study of Atkins compared to other low fat/high carb diets (Ornish). Atkins won across the board. The most amazing thing it did was correct triglyceride and HDL lipid panels in all the Atkins group compared to the Ornish group that had elevated levels of triglycerides and HDL.
  • golden1215
    golden1215 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've done low carb and have found it works best if you do it with natural foods. By this I mean, don't go buy a bunch of low carb breads, snack bars, shakes, etc. Instead stick with meats, eggs, veggies, and nuts. I also don't eat any fruit other than berries when I'm trying to cut carbs. Finally, don't be afraid of intaking more healthy fats than you typically would (from things like avocados, olives, and nuts)--if I try to go low fat and low carb at the same time, I end up hungry and cranky :noway: LOL!

Good luck =)

this, exactly this.