Do you miss fast food?

Options
I know a lot of you will say no because you eat it now and fit it into your daily calorie goal. I could do that but I can't eat the amount of it I want to eat and struggle with portion control. I look forward to it and struggle with not eating it.

If you have given it up or eat a lot less, do you miss it?

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    No but for 2 reasons:

The majority of time it just tastes terrible - why can't I ever get a piping hot burger?!?! I don't want a room temperature burger :s

My family rarely ate it much anyway.

• JenniferLynWhatx
    JenniferLynWhatx Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Dying for some taco bell today..not gonna lie
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i will never eat fast food , i would rather starve. its not food, its toxic sludge.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    YES! I know you can still have Taco Bell, just change what you get to be a little healthier, log it, etc. but the things I LOVE can't be replaced! There are no capable substitutes for bean burritos, nachos, cheese sauce... :(
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    Dying for some taco bell today..not gonna lie

Me too but there's no way I could eat just two tacos or something similar.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    No I don't miss it...because I still eat it. Had Taco Bell the other night and it was just as delicious as ever. :p If you really want fast food sometimes and can't fit it in your goal, you could always skip lunch or something on occasion and have it for dinner.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't eat a lot of it anyway and as someone else said, it often tastes of disappointment and fails to live up to my craving. So I still have it sometimes but not often.

I do eat take away food though, like Chinese, Japanese, Jamaican. On those days I make sure I've done a good calorie burn heavy workout and eaten lightly prior so that I can really go to town. If I know it's coming up I may also bank calories for it too. But the less of it I eat the less I crave it in all honesty.
  • shezza4mobee
    shezza4mobee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I never understood people who went on a life style change then ate there again and said "doesn't even taste that great anymore" I'm sorry but, a freaking Big Mac is never not going to taste good to me. And I can give up the fries on the side, but man, do I love me a burger sometimes. And why oh why did we mention Taco Bell?
    Now that I'm on lower carb, I am missing Noodles & company a LOT! That's my "fast food" pic!
  • laural121
    laural121 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yup, I love greasy dirty fast food, but at the same time I enjoy it eating a lot healthier and having fast food the odd time as opposed to all the time now.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I never understood people who went on a life style change then ate there again and said "doesn't even taste that great anymore" I'm sorry but, a freaking Big Mac is never not going to taste good to me. And I can give up the fries on the side, but man, do I love me a burger sometimes. And why oh why did we mention Taco Bell?
    Now that I'm on lower carb, I am missing Noodles & company a LOT! That's my "fast food" pic!

Have you tried their new buff bowls? It's the regular toppings (vegetables and you choose the protein) on a bed of spinach. I know, I know, no noodles. But they're pretty good! I'm not low carbohydrate, but I do count calories and they fit really well for a light dinner or lunch. I think they would be low carb, but I'm not sure about the sauce. Here is the one I get: http://www.noodles.com/dish/buff-japanese-pan/
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    i will never eat fast food , i would rather starve. its not food, its toxic sludge.

And there are *actual* starving people in the world who would be very grateful to have a hot meal of your first world "sludge."

To the OP - I don't eat it very often anyway, but I do fit it into my goals from time to time. Jack's (which is pretty prominent in the Southern USA) is one of my favorites, and I get a breakfast biscuit or burger from there once a month or so.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I miss enjoying it, lol. I still get it every once in a while, but it's never as satisfying as I remember it being. And on nights where I don't want to cook and want something cheap, easy, and yummy, well, every fast food place I think of just never sounds appetizing, so now what are my options, lol. (sushi, btw, is usually what I get now. $30 worth of sushi. Delicious, but too much of the moniez for as often as I'd like it.)
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't eat a lot of it anyway and as someone else said, it often tastes of disappointment and fails to live up to my craving. So I still have it sometimes but not often.

I do eat take away food though, like Chinese, Japanese, Jamaican. On those days I make sure I've done a good calorie burn heavy workout and eaten lightly prior so that I can really go to town. If I know it's coming up I may also bank calories for it too. But the less of it I eat the less I crave it in all honesty.

This is the "fast" food that gets me, especially jamaican food.

• markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    No! Last time I had any my BP spiked from all the sodium.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of you will say no because you eat it now and fit it into your daily calorie goal. I could do that but I can't eat the amount of it I want to eat and struggle with portion control. I look forward to it and struggle with not eating it.

If you have given it up or eat a lot less, do you miss it?

I miss it occasionally. KFC was my favourite. But the nearest one to where I live is about 45 mins drive soooo... yeah, I no longer bother. The only other fast food places are generic burger joints and I'm not that into burgers. I don't miss fries. I prefer steak chips, without the added salt. Always get annoyed when they pre-salt your fries! I'll very occasionally have pizza. It's not too bad as its generally thin crust due to the food culture here (France riviera).

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

This is the "fast" food that gets me, especially jamaican food.

Now I really want to try some Jamaican food.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    No I don't miss it...because I still eat it. Had Taco Bell the other night and it was just as delicious as ever. :p If you really want fast food sometimes and can't fit it in your goal, you could always skip lunch or something on occasion and have it for dinner.

this
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP I am in the camp of - if you really enjoy it, you should be able to work it into your calories. What fast food place do you really love? What do you normally order? What's your favorite part of that meal?

I don't eat it that often, but there are certain places I really enjoy. A lot of times I will get just a sandwich and then eat a couple of my kids french fries. Whether at McDonalds, BK, Wendy's, Chik Fil A, most of the sandwiches I would order anyway are less than 500 calories. So I think that's reasonable, even if I get a small order of fries as well.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I do still fast food sandwiches. I had a Bacon double cheeseburger from Burger King for lunch today. BUT I rarely ever have the whopper with cheese that I used to LOVE, as well as the Quarter Pounder with Cheese.

I remember several years ago, I pretty much quit eating fast food fries because I was going out and bringing my lunch back to the office. The fries would get cold, and yucky, and I decided I'd rather have pretzels, or something else. I will have some occasionally if we go out - I know my kids will usually have a few leftover.

I've not had fried rice in a long long time. I still love it, but it is SOOO not food journal friendly. Just like fries, and most things at fast food restaurants. There are things you can do to make things more food journal friendly when eating out. Grilled vs. fried, etc. and some places have soup, but you have to be careful about the sodium amounts in some of them - and others have cream in them that adds calories.

What was the question? LOL. Really, after you make some changes, you do quit craving it as much. Other places like Subway start sounding a bit better. Grilled Chicken starts sounding lots better. It does become easier.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Never ate much of it, but I am finding that sometimes to meet my caloric needs a McDonald's breakfast just does the trick.