Do you miss fast food?

Options

Replies

• alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Not really. I never really ate it. I find the food I make over the weekend and have saved in my fridge is so much faster to heat up than going out to get fast food would be.

I never feel great after eating it and I kind of love cooking!
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    cebreisch wrote: »
    I do still fast food sandwiches. I had a Bacon double cheeseburger from Burger King for lunch today. BUT I rarely ever have the whopper with cheese that I used to LOVE, as well as the Quarter Pounder with Cheese.

I remember several years ago, I pretty much quit eating fast food fries because I was going out and bringing my lunch back to the office. The fries would get cold, and yucky, and I decided I'd rather have pretzels, or something else. I will have some occasionally if we go out - I know my kids will usually have a few leftover.

I've not had fried rice in a long long time. I still love it, but it is SOOO not food journal friendly. Just like fries, and most things at fast food restaurants. There are things you can do to make things more food journal friendly when eating out. Grilled vs. fried, etc. and some places have soup, but you have to be careful about the sodium amounts in some of them - and others have cream in them that adds calories.

What was the question? LOL. Really, after you make some changes, you do quit craving it as much. Other places like Subway start sounding a bit better. Grilled Chicken starts sounding lots better. It does become easier.

MMM....Subway...
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I still eat it, but less often than I used to. And the struggle is still very real. I don't just eat a small amount. I'll eat a full meal deal.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Dying for some taco bell today..not gonna lie

Me too but there's no way I could eat just two tacos or something similar.

This is where I still struggle. I would like to be satisfied with one item from taco bell, but it was such a binge habit back in the day for me to spend $15 and eat it all. When I can have one, or have someone else order it for me, I can enjoy it again.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't eat a lot of it anyway and as someone else said, it often tastes of disappointment and fails to live up to my craving. So I still have it sometimes but not often.

I do eat take away food though, like Chinese, Japanese, Jamaican. On those days I make sure I've done a good calorie burn heavy workout and eaten lightly prior so that I can really go to town. If I know it's coming up I may also bank calories for it too. But the less of it I eat the less I crave it in all honesty.

This is the "fast" food that gets me, especially jamaican food.

Now I really want to try some Jamaican food.

Curry goat and patties. Oh and my local does this mango slaw that is ridiculous. Tori Karage and tempura from my local Japanese is really good too. I live in a good food delivered goldmine of an area. Thank you London :p
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Nope. I don't eat a lot of it anyway and as someone else said, it often tastes of disappointment and fails to live up to my craving. So I still have it sometimes but not often.

I do eat take away food though, like Chinese, Japanese, Jamaican. On those days I make sure I've done a good calorie burn heavy workout and eaten lightly prior so that I can really go to town. If I know it's coming up I may also bank calories for it too. But the less of it I eat the less I crave it in all honesty.

This is the "fast" food that gets me, especially jamaican food.

Now I really want to try some Jamaican food.

Curry goat and patties. Oh and my local does this mango slaw that is ridiculous. Tori Karage and tempura from my local Japanese is really good too. I live in a good food delivered goldmine of an area. Thank you London :p

That sounds delicious. I'm not sure how common Jamaican restaurants are here in my neck of the woods, but I'm now determined to do some research and find out.
  • mrtastybutt
    mrtastybutt Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm always a sl*t for taco bell!

I'm not much for any other fast food joint, but I hate to cook. So since the husband and kiddo are on the health kick now it's all kitchen time for me. :(
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I don't really get cravings for it anymore, but I've had it twice this month out of convenience and sheer hunger. It still tastes good to me! And I still feel like crap after eating it, that's always been true though. When I used to eat it more often, I would actually crave it. Now that I rarely eat it, I rarely crave it. In fact, the only cravings I get for it are during the few days after eating it once. Once those days pass I don't have the cravings.
  • pwrlipstick
    pwrlipstick Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It's the alcohol that kills me. I'm on a serious cut right now. GIVE ME ALL THE BEER. :(
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting started really. Been doing this for just over three weeks and I'm down 13 pounds. I have eaten fast food pretty much every day for the last 20 years. I am making a forever change now. I know some days I'll revert to my old eating habits but I will now keep it to just that. Some days. Not EVERY day.

For the first time in three weeks I had a bowl at HotHead Burrito yesterday for dinner and two crab cakes for lunch at Captain D's. Still was at a deficit and now I won't have anymore for another month or so.
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If I am craving it, I just try to remember how rubbish I ALWAYS feel after I eat it, both physically and emotionally! I tend to feel bloated and like I have failed myself. Sometimes thinking that way works and sometimes it doesn't. Lol.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't really crave it because if I crave something specific, I can make it at home, for less calories usually, and much less sodium... For example I was very excited when Smashburger opened here, and I saved calories for it... it was delicious, until I could feel the sodium in my body for the next 2 days. Haven't been back since and probably won't...

I still eat some fast food but it's typically the stuff that's one step up from the typical drive through fast food joints, which I actively avoid now... the fries I had last time at McDonald's were disappointing to me, but that filet o fish was delicious... it's just that it didn't fill me up one bit for the calories. So it's not just worth it to me anymore, if I'm going to eat something that isn't filling for 400+ calories, I'll have a cupcake, a brownie, or ice cream, lol. So I'd rather make my own burger at home for 300 calories and my own fries (which I find much tastier too).

But yeah, Sarku Japan or Panda Express or that local gyro or crepe place? Sure. I'll have Subway too if I'm desperate but I don't really like their bread and again, can make much tastier sandwiches at home with my homemade bread.

So I'm definitely much pickier about what I spend my calories on. It has to be really good if it's not going to fill me up, and those places just don't cut it anymore... and I used to eat there 3x a week easily!
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of you will say no because you eat it now and fit it into your daily calorie goal. I could do that but I can't eat the amount of it I want to eat and struggle with portion control. I look forward to it and struggle with not eating it.

If you have given it up or eat a lot less, do you miss it?

I now eat it once a week. I was eating it twice a day when I was packing on the pounds. I eat a huge wet bean and cheese burrito and a taco from my favorite taco shop every Saturday. I eat less the other 6 days of the week so that my daily average isn't effected. On the rare occasion I have it more than once a week I limit my portion to 2 small items from a Del Taco or Taco Bell, and still adjust calories from other days if my daily average over 7 days is over my goal.
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I think I still eat plenty of fast food, but not McDonalds or Taco Bell. More like Togos, Jersey Mikes, or something lower calorie. Sometimes I crave fries and a burger and have it, often times I just save it for the weekend. But the idea of some of the crap you get at true 'fast food' places is just not worth it to me right now.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I never understood people who went on a life style change then ate there again and said "doesn't even taste that great anymore" I'm sorry but, a freaking Big Mac is never not going to taste good to me. And I can give up the fries on the side, but man, do I love me a burger sometimes. And why oh why did we mention Taco Bell?
    Now that I'm on lower carb, I am missing Noodles & company a LOT! That's my "fast food" pic!

No way! Keep the fries (extra salt, please!), ditch the burger!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    No; there is a McDs outside of my gym, and there is nothing more repulsive than the stench of a fish filet and fast food dumpster after a workout.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    It's the alcohol that kills me. I'm on a serious cut right now. GIVE ME ALL THE BEER. :(

i will cut food before i cut jack.

i say that because ive done it. LOLOLOLOL
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Nah, but then fast food I like is a pretty short list.

Culver's Burger
    McD's Sausage Biscuit
    Chic Fil A Nuggets
    Subway Ham & Cheese
    Jersey Mike's Stickball or Italian
    Chipotle 2 Tacos/Corn Tortillas

Generally if I'm having fast food it is because I really need to eat and don't have a better option. Our family visited Pittsburgh on Easter Sunday last year and the only restaurant we could find open was McD's and they were not serving breakfast. They messed up my order so my Cheeseburger was free...told DH it was still overpriced.
  • Kitty_Nikki
    Kitty_Nikki Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I crave Popeye's mashed potatoes and biscuits, but my reason for not getting them has less to do with dieting and more to do with the fact that the closest Popeye's is an hour away.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,946 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    i will never eat fast food , i would rather starve. its not food, its toxic sludge.

I was never much of a fast food eater, but started eating less and less after learning about chicken nuggets in The Omnivore's Dilemma and seeing the ammonia plant in Food, Inc.

I found with better planning, I didn't need the convenience of fast food.