Vegetarians Are Just Better People

Options

Replies

• Adynata
    Adynata Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    At runningneo122: I'm not sure if you quoted me because you found my comment humorous, so I just wanted to clarify. I was speaking perhaps too generally by saying that people can live without killing animals in the process. As a vegetarian, a lot of the food that I eat still comes from cows or chickens, and it is not possible to track down every single farm that supplies the products contained in all of my food. However, a vegan diet is also not cruelty free - vegan diets often require a larger number of vegetables and crops to maintain, therefore an increased amount of harvesting is needed, which in turn damages the environment and animals that live in it.

Vegetarian diets and vegan diets are therefore not necessarily that great for the environment. There is much controversy about the destruction of forests, particularly to make way for the planting of vegetarian substitute foods. There is no such thing as a perfectly cruelty free, eco friendly diet. Sacrifices have to be made somewhere, as this is the only way we can survive. I personally choose my diet because I feel it is a lesser evil when it comes to animal cruelty. Do I think it'll make a real difference to the world? No. But I would rather not eat meat as a personal protest against the way that a lot of animals are treated in the meat industry than roll over and do nothing about it at all.
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Listen to the Fruits and Veggies, people.

shirt.jpg
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    At runningneo122: I'm not sure if you quoted me because you found my comment humorous, so I just wanted to clarify. I was speaking perhaps too generally by saying that people can live without killing animals in the process. As a vegetarian, a lot of the food that I eat still comes from cows or chickens, and it is not possible to track down every single farm that supplies the products contained in all of my food. However, a vegan diet is also not cruelty free - vegan diets often require a larger number of vegetables and crops to maintain, therefore an increased amount of harvesting is needed, which in turn damages the environment and animals that live in it.

Vegetarian diets and vegan diets are therefore not necessarily that great for the environment. There is much controversy about the destruction of forests, particularly to make way for the planting of vegetarian substitute foods. There is no such thing as a perfectly cruelty free, eco friendly diet. Sacrifices have to be made somewhere, as this is the only way we can survive. I personally choose my diet because I feel it is a lesser evil when it comes to animal cruelty. Do I think it'll make a real difference to the world? No. But I would rather not eat meat as a personal protest against the way that a lot of animals are treated in the meat industry than roll over and do nothing about it at all.

OMG, I never thought I would say I love a vegan. Well said!

I'm going to send you a friend request, I will understand if you decline, because I'm pretty outspoken about vegans, but understand it's the millitant vegans I have a problem with.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    A lot of people claiming to be vegetarians but eat fish? Is that not a contradiction in terms?

I don't care what people dop or don't eat it is an individuals choice. Unfortunatrly there are way too many preachy people on both sides of the argument.

I like animals, I find the idea of animal cruelty abhorrent, but that doesn't mean you can't eat meat.

Personally I eat lots of fish and chicken / Turkey and whilst I do eat some red mesat it wouldn't bother me if I never had any ever again.
  • vayax
    vayax Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    why are we arguing about vegetarianism?
    i am a vegetarian and it was the best choice i ever made.
    I dont care if your not, and you shouldn't care that I am.

The general impression I get from this thread is people are just stating what their choices are, and why; not arguing. It's great you're happy with your food choice.

Agree...I don't really see anyone arguing here... everyone is just stating their choice and no one seems to be preaching.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Pescetarian...includes fish
    Lacto...includes milk
    Ovo...includes eggs
    Lacto-ovo...includes both milk and eggs
    Vegan (sometimes known as "Strict vegetarian")...excludes all animal products
    Fruitarian...only fruit.

Let me know if I'm forgetting any classifications.
  • vayax
    vayax Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Quite refreshing to see a lot of non preachy vegetarians and meat eaters on this thread. I'd love to add you all as friends!

Agree! add me if you wish...I'm a carnivore ;)
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Lacto...includes milk
    Ovo...includes eggs
    Fruitarian...only fruit.

Is there a Dumbassatarian, eats only McDonalds and other fast foods.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    our friend is a vegetarian but mostly a picky princess of an eater she only eats lettuce and peanut butter and pasta....yo think she'd be a twig but she is a hefty chick.

Veggies or eating crap to forgo meat won't automatically make you thinner or better or healthier.

You do what is right for you. I remember reading the book Eating Animals right before Easter last year and all I coulod do was eat the veggies and did that for a few weeks and caved.

Sorry veg people, I just needed some chicken and bacon.

I do try now to be better about buying meats with no hormones or steroids and grass fed stuff.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Lacto...includes milk
    Ovo...includes eggs
    Fruitarian...only fruit.

Is there a Dumbassatarian, eats only McDonalds and other fast foods.

That's the "SAD" diet :)
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I'd want to die a hell of a lot sooner though...imagine a life without bacon. Or steak. Or burgers. Or hotdogs. The horror of it all.

Ow dear god, a life without kfc, big mac burgers, meat feast pizzas... bbq sauce would never of been invented =O
    I dont want to even think about it.
    Quick lets kill all the veggies before the government decide they have a point!!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    My 17 year old is a vegetarian. I fully support her in it and buy her veggie products, pastured eggs from the farmer's market (which are freakin' $5 a dozen), make extra/different foods at dinner for her and all that stuff. But she does get a little preachy and it makes me wanna smack her.
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It's also a pain to visit New England and have to order grilled cheese because that's the only non-meat option they have during the winter (true).

What? Not true at all. I've live in New England and as a vegetarian, I've never had this issue. Maybe you were eating at a steakhouse? Almost every restaurant has salads and at least one vegetarian entree. I did go to a restaurant in Utah where literally every item on the menu (including salads) had meat in it.

It's not a blanket statement covering all the states and restaurants in New England. It also wasn't a steakhouse (I'm fully aware when I'm eating at a steakhouse). It is 100% true to my experience at the time...just like your experience in Utah. So, thanks for offering your critique of my experience.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I eat meat...nothing against vegetarians but I have vegetarian friends that are really fat. So being a vegetarian doesn't mean you'll lose weight.

I'm pro "everything in moderation" ;)

Yes, sadly for some people it seems like vegetarian = processed, pasta, junk food fans.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Oy vey. If you absolutely cannot live without _______, that's an addiction and I feel sorry for you.

This is a stupid blanket statement to make. Could you live without sleep, water, food? NO?!?!?!? OMG you are addicted, and I feel sorry for you.
  • femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    so here's something interesting. i've been a meat eater my whole life. when i got pregnant with my daughter in 2007 i couldn't handle to smell or taste of ANYTHING from an animal. So i became vegan. As a vegan I ate pretty well but since I was vegan I thought that eating a little bit of vegan ice cream everyday was okay because it was vegan. I gained 70lbs with that pregnancy. However, I lost 36lbs within 2 weeks of my daughter being born. By the time she was a year old I had lost every pound I had gained with her. I then got pregnant with my son and was a meat eater and ate SUPER healthy and walked like 3 miles a day. I still gained 60lbs. How much did I lose when he was born? A measly 9lbs. That's it! Even when he was 6 months old I was still only down like 15lbs. It was awful.

I loved being vegan because there are some really wonderful recipes. However I love being an everything eater now. So I eat meat but I also eat a lot of vegan dishes. It's quite a balance and works really well for me. :-)
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Oy vey. If you absolutely cannot live without _______, that's an addiction and I feel sorry for you.

This is a stupid blanket statement to make. Could you live without sleep, water, food? NO?!?!?!? OMG you are addicted, and I feel sorry for you.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Ow dear god, a life without kfc, big mac burgers, meat feast pizzas... bbq sauce would never of been invented =O
    I dont want to even think about it.
    Quick lets kill all the veggies before the government decide they have a point!!

If it comes down between me having a sirloin steak cooked rare and a vegetarian? The vegetarian is gonna diiiiiiiie.

I think most people can respect each others individual choices and live in harmony as long as they don't get preached at...
  • christinathompson1
    christinathompson1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i'm a vegetarian and since becoming one i've lost a great amount of weight. there are plenty of ways of getting plenty protein
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I only eat people
This discussion has been closed.