Most annoying "advice" anyone has given you?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    MoreBean13 wrote: »
    I'm going to give you real advice- move everyday and eat less. I should be a billionaire because that is the secret, move more and eat less. I will strongly discourage any diet under 1500 calories.

For every single person on the planet?
  • MarvelGrrl
    MarvelGrrl Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I heard this for the first time the other day,"Don't lift, it will give you small boobs." :|:D
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    MarvelGrrl wrote: »
    I heard this for the first time the other day,"Don't lift, it will give you small boobs." :|:D

#startslifting#

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    pootle1972 wrote: »

#startslifting#

HA! Exactly. And if only. I've been lifting since 1996. Still not flat chested. Not even close. My breasts are still larger than I'd prefer!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Basically all unsolicited advice, especially comments in a particular meal I'm eating.

Me: eating giant burger, which fit perfectly in my goals
    Nosy Nellie: You shouldn't eat like a such a pig. You're going to get fat and heart disease.
    Me: Uh, huh...nom nom nom

Next day,
    Me: eating my lunch salad. Again, part of a well planned daily goal.
    Same Nosy Nellie: Starving yourself isn't healthy. You should eat more.
    Me: chomp chomp chomp, mmmhmm

Just a few more gems from this doll: precisely 8 glasses of water (and only water) for everyone, always; zero sodium for everyone (yes, zero, even athletes and summer construction workers). Clearly, an electrolyte imbalance is the epitome of health according to her.
  • VoiceWithNoValue
    VoiceWithNoValue Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I got a few "advices" from people that I found annoying.

- "You can't lose weight by running on treadmill." I managed to lose and maintained my weight before using a treadmill, that is until my mother sold it to someone else -.- I've been gaining weight since then..
    - "You look good and you shouldn't lose weight at all. You're not overweight, you're 'just curvy'." Yeah, of course weighting around 20 kg from the ideal weight isn't overweight.
    - "You can't run because you have asthma and heart disease." I just want to smack each of those people with the nearest lamppost in the head and say "Now you can't go do things you want to do because your head are injured! I hope you catch some brain disease also so you won't be able to do anything at all until you die!" As violence as it is, those people are ticking me off and maybe one day I might actually do that if they won't stop.
    - "You need to eat A, B, C and D to lose weight. Eating X, Y, and Z will only make you gain some weight." haha- no. I eat what I want. I know what I'm eating. I need to watch my food also since I have diseases, and ALL that they told me to eat are pretty much forbidden for me if I don't want to live in hospital with machines hooked up to my body. -.-
    - Anything with detox are always annoying.
  • zidine100
    zidine100 Posts: 23 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    "People who diet should just stop and learn to love them self as they are"

Said by a thin 18 year old, whos never really been fat in his life.

Im not a violent person, but that guy tests my patience.
  • thrashscara
    thrashscara Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I get told regularly that bananas make you fat.....lol
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options

The same people who used to tell me that i need to loose weight, now tell me I look like a toothpick. I am at the upper end of the healthy BMI scale. I have been checking with medical professionals on when to stop loosing.

Another piece of bad advice: chewing gum can cause constipation or indigestion.
  • dvnjustina
    dvnjustina Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've always gotten the whole "you don't need to lose weight" argument. I want to be comfortable, and I'm not at my current weight, nor at my lowest 170.

Also the whole "take supplements." I take a multivitamin gummy and B complex (for medical reasons) and sometimes probiotics if I can afford/remember too. No, I don't need a million other vitamins or weight loss boosters.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I hate any diet advice.. do this diet, try that diet, cut out this, don't eat that....

I know it is all well intended but the fact is that we all have to find our own way. We have to find something we as INDIVIDUALS can live with. Just because it worked for someone else doesn't mean it will for ME

That's the funny part. Most of the time people giving advice havn't had that advice work for them either.
  • teeking2
    teeking2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The whole... "you dont need to work out... theres nothing wrong with your figure...." well actually it helps with my mental health and not to mention.... have you ever seen me naked ?!?!?!
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    That your body "needs" about 500 calories a day more than you burn. Okay, I'm trying to lose weight, not gain it!
  • scottish_laura_13
    scottish_laura_13 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    my MIL when I said I wanted to lose weight for my wedding (was at a healthier 168lbs) CW 190, SW 210) 'your obviously not happy with yourself if you want to change by losing weight' or 'susan at work has lost doing that 5:2 diet, try that' um no that doesn't work with my life or 'ive never had to diet so maybe you should just eat what I eat' - also on a side not I gained about 10lbs for the wedding thanks to her (making me stress eat)
    'stop eating when you are full' - it takes ur tummy 20mins to tell ur brain your full my connect seems to be faulty as im not often full and when I was larger I would still have room for dessert
    my mum if lovely and lost 5st 6 years ago by calorie counting and increased exercise, shes put on about 10-15lbs since then and seems to think a fad diet will help her shift the little excess again (over the last 1-2 years shes lost and gained like a yo-yo) she keeps sending me links to fads which wont work for me and joining classes and she loses, gets fed up with the restrictions and gains more?! sat her down last week and making her go back to mfp!
    and lastly my hubby (who I love lots) will offer me something like nuts or a family size bag or crisps and says 'a few wont hurt the diet' a few wont its true but if I could stop at a few I wouldn't be fat in the first place
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    pootle1972 wrote: »

#startslifting#

HA! Exactly. And if only. I've been lifting since 1996. Still not flat chested. Not even close. My breasts are still larger than I'd prefer!

"checks her profile" lmao sorry!
  • T0M_K
    Options
    teeking2 wrote: »
    The whole... "you dont need to work out... theres nothing wrong with your figure...." well actually it helps with my mental health and not to mention.... have you ever seen me naked ?!?!?!

i'm a dude and this girl at work tells me i shouldn't lose to much...your don't want to be frail looking lol. I almost but haven't said...well.... "you haven't seen me naked!" I'm like...trust me, at 165lbs I WON'T look like Steve Erkel
  • jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    zidine100 wrote: »
    "People who diet should just stop and learn to love them self as they are"

Said by a thin 18 year old, whos never really been fat in his life.

Im not a violent person, but that guy tests my patience.

That one gets me too. The whole "Fat is beautiful" trend going around. I get it. If you're happy with being a bigger person, go for it. Just don't insult those of us who are unhappy with our life choices and are trying to make better choices that can make us happy.

• Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    People at work that don't do the slightest bit of exercise and have no sense of nutrition telling me that protein powder is "going to kill me"
  • T0M_K
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    People at work that don't do the slightest bit of exercise and have no sense of nutrition telling me that protein powder is "going to kill me"

lol! Add creatine to that one.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    eat 6 meals a day