Most annoying "advice" anyone has given you?

Options

Replies

• IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    In my case, the most annoying was also the dumbest. When I said I don't eat a lot of sweet treats, sugary treats, treats with added sugar, I was told that sugar was sugar (sure, okay). When I said my body and brain don't respond to an apple and a twinkie the same, despite similar calorie content (because, perhaps, because of fiber), I was told to eat a spoonful of metamucil with the twinkie.

I just had to close my eyes and shake my head real quick on that one. lol
  • pierson_lauren
    pierson_lauren Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My biggest thing is when someone is only maybe 100 pounds say they want to lose weight as I'm discussing losing weight. Like, what am I to you a whale??? That's my biggest problem all my friends are super tiny and belive in quick fixes, or not okay techniques.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    anything more than a ' you look great' is unnecessary and im going to stop listening if you try to tell me about the newest dr oz 'finding' or fad diet of the month.

and i really don't need advice from anyone who needs to lose weight and has never managed to lose a single pound. I'll keep doing it my way, thanks..... whatever you're selling, I'm not buying lol
  • pierson_lauren
    Options
    Oh and herbal life.. those people never stop. Sorry I don't want shakes for two meals for the rest of my life.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    Take mango pills.
    On that note, garcinia cambogia. I actually believed that and bought four bottles. :disappointed:

I did too! I'm no longer embarrassed to admit it... I saw the error in my ways! haha
  • brittyn3
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    bisky wrote: »
    This discussion has been actually very helpful to me. I too don't like breakfast, would rather just have coffee. I need to keep count of calories and foods I eat helps, I don't want "treats" I want to be healthy and not over weight, and the detox advice..... What I wish people would say: I know it is hard work but you are eating healthy and getting healthier. Thats my goal...not size 0 jeans.

Oh yeah, on this note...

'Lift heavy'. Gosh. I came here to be healthy. Yeah my hips annoy me but that's my genetics and I hate lifting and apparently most people on MFP are aiming to be models, and I'm definitely not (and would never be able to fit in size 0 gym anyway. Unless it's Old Navy. Maybe).

And ditto for 'women don't bulk'. My notion of a muscular woman is clearly not the same as everyone else because most women I see who lift on here are too bulky for my taste (sure, they look great, but to each their own)... so it's definitely not something I want to do for myself in order to lose the bit of fat I have left on my hips - I like my arms and legs just fine, thank you.

Just because you don't like muscle doesn't change the definition of bulky. It's still bad advice to tell women not to lift heavy because they'll get bulky because unless they eat tons of food, have high testosterone levels, work super hard and/ or take steroids women won't get bulky.

^^This... I suppose you could get bulky if you take 'roids. I got bulky when I was in good shape, and then gained weight rapidly. I basically just put a fat coat around my entire body... so yes, I think it's fair to say I was bulky with my 30 lb fat coat lol. But I'll never consider tone/fit/defined bulky. My mom, bless her heart, said the same thing at one point. It's why you see 4 women to every 10 men in the weight room. ahhh... end rant::
  • pierson_lauren
    Options
    brittyn3 wrote: »
    Take mango pills.
    On that note, garcinia cambogia. I actually believed that and bought four bottles. :disappointed:

I did too! I'm no longer embarrassed to admit it... I saw the error in my ways! haha

Omg I did too. Did nothing at all.. ugh the humiliation
  • brittyn3
    Options
    Take mango pills.

haha - how long did you before you realized it was a joke? I think I finished nearly 2 bottles, and I took all 6 or 8 pills that it said to... So stupid.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'll be frank. "Be patient." The people throwing this advice out are usually rippppppppppppped already and if they were as overweight as I am they'd be be cutting corners like crazy to drop the weight. They're usually the ones that can't stand to gain more than a few pounds without being emotionally crippled. Not to mention the fact that they're already "there" so it's easy to tell someone else to wait around and stay fat longer. I'd much rather hear some less feel good solid time frame advice than a simple "be patient." Don't be patient. Maybe be realistic about the process but patient? No way. The sooner the better.
  • shezza4mobee
    shezza4mobee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My biggest thing is when someone is only maybe 100 pounds say they want to lose weight as I'm discussing losing weight. Like, what am I to you a whale??? That's my biggest problem all my friends are super tiny and belive in quick fixes, or not okay techniques.

Hear hear sista! I have friends that are maybe 2 lbs over the ideal, and they talk about their crazy detox and how the extra 2 lbs is the end of the world, but when I have a bad day in the fitting room then I'm being crazy and I don't look fat at all.

Oh and this one:

you have a cute face all nice and round, if you lose weight your face will look older and saggy, so don't go overboard! "Whaaaa....nevermind"
  • pierson_lauren
    Options
    Take mango pills.

haha - how long did you before you realized it was a joke? I think I finished nearly 2 bottles, and I took all 6 or 8 pills that it said to... So stupid.

Around the same. I even combined it with the green tea extract... ugh
  • pierson_lauren
    Options

Hear hear sista! I have friends that are maybe 2 lbs over the ideal, and they talk about their crazy detox and how the extra 2 lbs is the end of the world, but when I have a bad day in the fitting room then I'm being crazy and I don't look fat at all.

Oh and this one:

you have a cute face all nice and round, if you lose weight your face will look older and saggy, so don't go overboard! "Whaaaa....nevermind"

Omg ha I feel like I'm looking in a mirror! I hate it
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    "Don't drink diet coke I read that it leads to weight gain", oh ok thanks that's why I've lost 25lbs and you've lost 0 drinking regular soda.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Ashtoretet wrote: »
    "Eat less move more." Thanks, captain obvious. It's so disheartening when people think truth trumps empathy. I wonder how they would have felt if their teachers in school had been so callous.

I had always been afraid to criticize people who looked better than me. Now I am a better version of me, but I still managed to keep my empathy intact. Now I know that elitists are just horrible people, they're not built up by their virtues and "better" than anyone, they're simply horrible people who've let their vices take over. We really are all the same, despite our varying appearances. Anyone who tries to argue otherwise is severely insecure.
    Actually, one of my favorite teachers growing up was my English teacher in middle school. She was extremely blunt and didn't hold my hand when I had done poorly on some assignments. Heck, given the stories someone I know has been telling me about their school district, there really needs to be more callous teachers, at least in their district.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I'll be frank. "Be patient." The people throwing this advice out are usually rippppppppppppped already and if they were as overweight as I am they'd be be cutting corners like crazy to drop the weight. They're usually the ones that can't stand to gain more than a few pounds without being emotionally crippled. Not to mention the fact that they're already "there" so it's easy to tell someone else to wait around and stay fat longer. I'd much rather hear some less feel good solid time frame advice than a simple "be patient." Don't be patient. Maybe be realistic about the process but patient? No way. The sooner the better.

Am I allowed to tell you to be patient if I'm more obese than you? :smiley:
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

It might surprise you to find out that a lot of the people in good shape here started out overweight, some by a LOT. They have learned that it's better to stay the course than give up, and better to stick with a proper calorie deficit and exercise than try anything extreme. (Most of the time when I see "be patient" it's because someone is either freaking out and ready to give up because the weight is "only" coming off at 2-3 pounds a week, or they are looking for some way to make the weight come off faster than is healthy).

I don't know your situation, or the responses you've seen, but usually the "be patient" comes after the original poster has verified that they are weighing and logging correctly and not over counting exercise calories. Or they say to give it 3 weeks to a month and if nothing changes in that time frame, then reassess. Or both.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any advice on what I can do better that is unsolicited. I have done a lot of reading from reputable and not so reputable sources. My biggest failing isn't really lack of knowledge, it is lack of execution and discipline.
    I need encouragement, not advice, and I certainly don't need anyone cutting me down, I do that perfectly well all on my own.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Here's one, I don't know if it is really true but I can't figure out how it would be (thinking metabolically/on the cellular biology level): "you burn more calories at a higher elevation because there is less oxygen." We were snowboarding at about 10K feet above sea level (and I live at about 5K feet).
  • MaeganMBacca
    MaeganMBacca Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    i need to cleanse/detox
    i need to not eat sugar/carbs/fat
    I need to run as fast as i can in the beginning of my run

NO

All of these!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 90lbs now from my highest. My mother still tells me that I can't eat [insert whatever tastes amazing] because I'm trying to lose weight. And it's only gotten worse now that I'm getting married this year and I need to "look good in my dress". Ugh.